Author Topic: Re: painters whites  (Read 52809 times)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
Re: painters whites
« on: September 09, 2007, 12:19:27 AM »
I hate painter whites. I wear light tan or khaki pants and shorts (still in the painter/carpenter style) Most painter whites are nut huggers  :P

I also keep a few pair of shoes in my truck. Newer ones start off as repaint or touch up jobs..meetings and such. then they move on to new construction and exterior jobs... then when they get bad i use them as spray shoes.  ;)

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 07:49:45 AM »
haha- Bauer- me too!  And I have the graduated use of the pants and shirts too.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 09:01:07 AM »
I hate the painters whites too.  It's like wearing pants made of lint...thinnest material ever that the wind blows right through in the winter and chills me to the bone.  Also, the knees rip way too easily.  After you have been painting for some time, you learn not to wipe paint all over yourself, so it really doesn't matter what color your pants are if you keep them clean, they look clean.  I can understand why employers would require their guys to wear them though...kind of a uniform concept.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 10:12:33 AM »
Carl

I don't know where you are getting your painters' pants from, the ones we get a thick & stiff as a board until they are washed a few times. Last a long time too. Maybe you crawl on your knees to much.  ;D(baseboards ugh!)

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Jared

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »
FYI - if you folks out there don't like the Stan Ray style with the thin scratchy fabric, try to find the "Centaur" brand of whites - but buy them 2 sizes too big, as they do shrink more than others - but WOW, the softest & heaviest fabric I've ever encountered.  Triple-knees, triple-stitched seams...  can't beat the quality.

Vin

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 12:29:54 PM »
I didn't use to wear whites but i do now . My regular works clothes are messy whites when I'm working on my own I have other pares that aren't as sloopy I always give bids now in clean whites or regular clean clothes its just more professional that way.

I buy my whites 2 sizes large like Jared mentioned I wear shorts year round or until it drops below 50 degreess  ;D

Buy my whites at Gleem plus whatever shirts the paint stores will give up :P

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 05:52:17 PM »
Oh I dunno then....all the painters pants I ever saw were made by Dickies and sold at ICI, SW, etc.  Home Depot also has some but the pockets are really weird looking and it's hard to get into them.

Offline TomTom

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 10:32:10 PM »
I agree with Bauer. I never wear painters pants because I've never found them comfortable. In fact all the ones I've had are miserably uncomfortable. I buy all my work clothes from Goodwill. I buy khaki pants for work and white t-shirts especially if they have something on the front that I like. Today I wore a white t-shirt with the Looney Tunes characters on it.;D I've never had a complaint from either a customer or anyone I've worked for about my work clothes, though I do agree that blue jeans don't cut it.

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 02:45:27 PM »
I don't wear whites either. I hate them.

I always wipe paint on myself. I am my own rag. ;)

On my pants, between the waist and the knee's, is a wonderfull mix of colored finger streaks. Many may find that un-professional looking but i find it artistic looking. Especially after doing a big house that has many different colors in the different rooms.

When meeting clients and quoting jobs I'm wearing nice casual clothes. No signs that I'm a painter.

On some small jobs I sometimes don't change into my painting duds and can manage to paint all day without getting a drop on me, though i have to consciously resist my habit of wiping things up with my finger then dabbing it onto my pants.

Jared

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:28:22 PM »
Another alternative for those who feel "constrained" wearing tight painter's white pants:  overalls.  Never overlook the trusty painter's whites in overall form.  ;)  They are, by nature, much looser-fitting, and they somehow carry an air of authority - I have found that when wearing the overalls on a job, the clients seem to perceive me as the foreman - whether I am or not.

Just offering another alternative for those who are not comfortable wearing whites, as there seems to be quite a few of y'all...

EDIT:  That "Centaur" brand of whites I mentioned in an earlier reply - here's a link to the manufacturer.  The ones I like are the Model # PDDK (the first ones listed).  The lower-grade version are just made out of canvas dropcloth material and very much feel like the Dickies or Stan Ray brand, but the heavier ones are so comfortable that I'd actually wear them on a day off if I had no other clean pants.  ;)  I buy 'em locally at one of my independently-owned paint distributors.
http://www.acedropcloth.com/clothing.htm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 05:54:12 PM by Jared »

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 05:53:15 PM »
"Dickies" now has a premium grade of whites, 65/35 poly/cotton ... a lot less shrinkage, very soft feel,  and they do not need ironing...  8)

Here's a look:

http://www.allseasonsuniforms.com/di55e.htm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 05:56:33 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Jared

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 06:11:37 PM »
Holy smackers, take a look at the colors and patterns you can get those Dickies in!  You can buy 1 pair for painting, one pair for your Clown outfit, and one pair to go hit the golf course in style.  ;)

EDIT:  heh, they really only make the painter's whites in white, but it is quite funny to picture the other patterns and colors being worn by pros out in the field.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 06:13:18 PM by Jared »

Offline 98mustangguy

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 07:51:51 PM »
Sorry to dissappoint you all but I usually just go jeans or jean shorts depending of the temp outside. Never have had whites never will.  Ohhhh I'm such a rebel :D

Offline Hotrod

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 08:22:51 PM »
If im doin interior my whites are usually clean, but i challenge anyone to keep clean uniforms when your spraying/backrolling an Elastomeric on a 20,000 sq foot exterior.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 08:34:19 PM »
The public perception of professional painters wearing "whites" has become so prevalent that it has become a Trademark .... John Q Public sez... "They are wearing white so they must be pros."
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

anything