Author Topic: Re: painters whites  (Read 52828 times)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
Re: painters whites
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 09:08:16 PM »
Sorry to dissappoint you all but I usually just go jeans or jean shorts depending of the temp outside. Never have had whites never will.  Ohhhh I'm such a rebel :D

Oh No! Not the tight Daisy Dukes!  Guys please where loose fitting shorts. Don't sport the John Stockton look.  ;D

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 10:01:13 PM »
Sorry to dissappoint you all but I usually just go jeans or jean shorts depending of the temp outside. Never have had whites never will.  Ohhhh I'm such a rebel :D

Oh No! Not the tight Daisy Dukes!  Guys please where loose fitting shorts. Don't sport the John Stockton look.  ;D

LOL  ;D   Daisy Dukes!! ... You hire a kid these days and you are more likely to see a hell-of-a lot more of his boxers than his whites. ...  :-\   ;D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 04:07:04 PM »

LOL  ;D   Daisy Dukes!! ... You hire a kid these days and you are more likely to see a hell-of-a lot more of his boxers than his whites. ...  :-\   ;D

Ha Ha, the boxers stickin out the top of their far too low hung pants, too funny. A silly fad thats being taken too far.

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 06:45:41 PM »
I've always worn whites. So do my guys. New hires(ones that wear something other than whites) have one week to comply, or it's bye, bye......
Just kidding...couldn't resist
Actually if a guy is working out and just can't afford a couple pair of whites, I buy them and dock his check when he can. 
I agree that general public thinks whites=professionalism. I didn't make up that rule but I've always abided by it.
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline WALL-PRO PAINTER

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 10:46:16 PM »
Wearing "white" makes you look professional!!  Use a rag not your pants!  I always wear CLEAN i.e. not full of paint, whites. When the get dirty I use them for outside work  The BEST brand most durable and comfortable brarand for me is CARHARTT Painters Drill pants/shorts.  (Some compaines around here do not let there painters wear shorts even in the summer).  Carhartt also makes a double knee for more durability in the knee and the bib overall, yuck!

Also, BIG BEN PAINTERS DUNGAREE are very durable pants.  I still have a pair over 10 years old

One day a friend showed up to work with his new $8 Home Depot white, they ripped within hours!  He had to leave early, he did not have an extra pair in his truck.  Dickies are awful!!

Offline Tubs

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »
I some times ware a pair of tighty whitey fruit of the looms on a hot day if I have a customer who wants to hang out all day yakking with me. Sends them to a back room every time.

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 11:47:47 PM »
When I started my own company I burned all my painter whites along with all the shirts with my old employers name and logo on them. From that point I decided that I'll never wear whites again. I dress appropriately for the job. Just never in white. I wear clean clothes. ( not blue jeans) The pants and shorts I buy are kinda like painter whites... but they come in a tan, light tan, and a light gray. I think they are carpenter pants? They have the small pockets on the sides, they fit a little looser in the legs. They are called Wrangler Hero Originals. The shirts I wear are t-shirts that get handed down from street clothes or t-shirts I pick up at thrift stores.

I guess I just don't like the mainstream stereotypical painter look. 
People probably look at my tattoos and piercings more than my pants.  ;)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 11:48:56 PM »
I some times ware a pair of tighty whitey fruit of the looms on a hot day if I have a customer who wants to hang out all day yakking with me. Sends them to a back room every time.

I don't wear underwear.  ???

Offline Tubs

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 11:59:52 PM »
Keep the pants on unless you are painting for the wife or girl friend.

IMHO, ware your stlyle as long as it is not so worn and smelly that when you take the pants off they can stand up on thier own.

Offline jvt321

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 07:56:53 AM »
I always wear painters whites, but I don't understand the design. That little loop above the side pocket seems pretty useless unless you're carrying a hammer. It seems more for construction folks. It does holds in a scraper fairly well, but the pocket below really keeps in in. Any entrepreneurs want to re-design the painter pants?
jvt

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 08:19:16 AM »
How many of you wear a tool pouch of any kind?  I have used many and now have a smallish one that holds small knives, nail punch, sanding sponge, knife etc and I don't load up my pants with this stuff. Pants fit better that way ! ;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 10:08:42 AM »
I always wear painters whites, but I don't understand the design. That little loop above the side pocket seems pretty useless unless you're carrying a hammer. It seems more for construction folks. It does holds in a scraper fairly well, but the pocket below really keeps in in. Any entrepreneurs want to re-design the painter pants?
jvt

In my experience, keeping a rag in a back pocket can be a frustrating thing... about the time you need it you discover that it must have found a new home somewhere along the way, the hammer loop is the perfect place for a paint rag, and it stays put. Some whites have a rag loop between the back pockets, which works well if you can deal with the all the inevitable lame jokes from coworkers....  :-\

rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 04:26:36 PM »
yeah no whites for me. White shirts and khaki shorts or jeans.

Offline WALL-PRO PAINTER

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2007, 10:36:53 PM »
I look at it like this; would you have less respect for a police officer if they were "tired" of their uniform and wanted to wear something more comfortable?  Or what about a doctor, postman, or would you care if your food in an upscale restaurant was prepared by a chef wearing jeans and a t-shirt? 

I suppose I am old fashioned.  I respect the trade and the tradition of white.  Actually, as far as I know painters are the only trade to have a 'uniform'.  I believe plumbers used to wear pinstripe bibs, carpenters jeans.

I believe even the public is impressed when the see a painter in 'clean' whites! 

I LOVE MY WHITES ;D

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2007, 02:01:14 AM »
I believe even the public is impressed when the see a painter in 'clean' whites! 

I don't beleive that. The public is impressed with the products I produce and thats enough for me. That is my own opinion, but it is a strong one.

When I see a painter in brand new or really clean whites... I think wallpaper hanger or paint broker.

anything