Author Topic: High end Work  (Read 9200 times)

Ray

High end Work
« on: November 14, 2005, 11:37:33 PM »
Hi Guys,
I'm new to this board and seems like many people here are well informed pros.
I'm currently in the process of bidding for an 8000 sq ft new construction in Chappaqua New York. There are 2 builders building the house to sell for about 3.5 million.
There are 5 bedrooms, 5 bath, living, dining, family, kitchen, extra room, library etc. all rooms are 10 ft high and doors and 8 ft high. Crown molding every where, egg and dart, elaborate trim work and finally the library ceiling and book shelves have to be stained. All other rooms are to be custom colors.
I think our team can complete the project in 2400 to 2600 man-hours and can come up with an estimate myself. However, any input from you guys in better estimating the job would be appreciated. Especially, if you could give me a price per sq ft of either floor or dry wall.

1. How do you go about estimating a job like this?
2. What would be a rough idea of dry wall area if the floor area is 8000 sq ft?
3. What would be the right price per sq ft (floor/drywall)?
4. Let's say 50 cents per coat per dry wall sq ft, how do you figure the price for painting the trims?
5. How does ""primer+2 coat + trim= $2.50 per dry wall sq ft"" sound to you?

Thanks

the PAINTSMITH

Re:High end Work
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 08:18:17 AM »
Hi Ray

'Fraid I won't be much help, but wanted to chime in...8000 feet is a LARGE house, if the trim scheme is as you say, it would be in your best interest to bid a $ per linear foot on crown, chair rail, etc., especially if you haven't bid many houses with that kind of trim.

I'm in a totally different geographic and economic area of the country, and I haven't done any new construction in quite a while, so my gozintas wouldn't be of any help to you, but I know of contractors who have bid new const. at so many $ per sq. foot liveable without seeing an elevation plan and found out after getting the job that the walls were 20 foot cathedral style :o--Be sure to get a spec sheet from the builder so there aren't any surprises along the way...Like high-dollar epoxy coatings spec'ed in workshop and basement areas...

Oh, and always remember with crown moulding, you need to bid more per foot than base or chair rail, because of the difficulty quotient...If the ceilings are 10 foot, then I would double the per ft. price...

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 10:58:23 AM »
Ray,

It doesn't matter the size of the job, the key is how long it will take to complete the job. As the Paintsmith said you will need a blueprint or spec sheet of the job. Allow more man hours for tasks that you are not very familiar with. Also consider the work environment, sub contractor hold ups, required staging etc.
Once you have a realistic man hour estimate multiply by your charge out rate per man hour, add your profit margin and labor overhead. Figure your material costs and add 25-30% for handling and setup. Add all of this together and divide by the floor sq ft.
This will give you a realistic starting point.

rmichael  pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Ray

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 06:04:46 AM »
Thanks for your input.
I did a 9000 sq ft job last winter and that's how I know how long it would take me to do this. However, I did not make a whole lot of money from that job. I was just good to get myself and my crew through the winter.
Any Idea on what percentage of construction cost goes to interior painting.

Thanks,

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 12:40:39 PM »
Any Idea on what percentage of construction cost goes to interior painting.

I'm sure it depends on the type of house and type of construction, Ray, but I did a sweat equity on a house I had built once, and the bank would only allow me $4500-$5000 on the interior/exterior of a $93,000 house (I realize that construction costs were much less than the 93 grand) about 15 years ago...

Bob\'s Buster\'s

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 12:04:49 AM »
Add your total cost of labor per day matrails per day and taxs then add on %20 to that if you think it takes 10 days add 3 now multipile the total
cost to days that's your price

anything