Author Topic: Exterior paint used for Interior Trim  (Read 30641 times)

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
Exterior paint used for Interior Trim
« on: October 18, 2007, 10:02:21 PM »
Well,  I was at a new construction job site the other day and was talking to the builder about doing some wall finishes in some of the rooms when I was noisly observing the regular painters .   

The painters were using 100% acrylic exterior paint for the interior trim work.  I have never seen this .    When the builder was out of the room, I started just curiously asking a few questions;   For an instance starting out with how long they had been in the painting business, etc.   One said over 35 yrs and the other mentioned over 20.  Then I asked why they were using exterior semi-gloss for the interior trim.  They said this was the only thing they had used for years.  Said it held up and was easy to work with.  I didn't comment or ask questions any more.  Just said , "hmmm" , that's good to know.

Well,  to say the least , I was quite surprised.    Have any of you ever seen this before or heard of anyone using exterior 100% acrylic paint for interior trim work?

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Exterior paint used for Interior Trim
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:28:25 PM »
DecWalls,
Yeah, I have heard of it, in fact in the past I have done it....  :-\  but the problem is that with exterior paints (used on interiors) you pay for ingredients that you do not need, like mildewcide, and you don't always get the properties that you do need for interior trim, like better flow and leveling, a harder low profile finish, etc.

I just don't see the advantage .....  ;)

rmichael

EDIT DevFlex HP is a 100% acrylic interior/exterior paint that I have used successfully on both interiors and exteriors, however, my last experience with it on an exterior was a disaster ( Never Again!!) .... and IMO It does require an extender additive for interior use.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 10:42:39 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline lackamoola

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 05:43:08 AM »
DecWalls, I've used ext paint on int trim before also. I also did it at the insistence of a builder. It's been quite a few years back and I don't remember what his reasoning was. Maybe he thought it was better, or longer lasting, or maybe just cheaper.
It ain't easy being cheesy

Offline Fred

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 01:44:25 PM »
The Behr latex Gloss is an interior/exterior we used to use it on trim.
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
Yeah i have used it on interior trim many times, it holds up very well. I also use interior/exterior a lot.
Sean

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 05:20:22 PM »
I am almost certain its a health hazzard to use exterior paint indoors. Looking into it further.

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 07:48:53 AM »
well, it appears as if some of you have used the interior/exterior  or exterior for indoor trim.    I was kinda under the impression from the years these painters have been using this, they have not stepped outside the box and know there are other solid interior acrylics that can be used.   I was just curious because one of these rooms I will be doing involves painting a metallic on the bath ceiling trim.  Hmmm,  this is going to take some testing on my part first to see if there could be any lifting or reactions to the products I am using.
Thanks

Offline JTsPainting

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 06:53:14 AM »
Ive seen many interior only paints that have very bad binders ,see this once and it can play tricks on a persons mind Ive seen interior semigloss that after left to dry and something got spilled weeks later like soda pop or something when trying to wipe it off tha paint comes off onto the rag or paper towel .This often happens when a customer or potential buyer of the home brings small children to check out a home .and they run there hands over things stuff on them.using an exterior paint will help this condition .the binders are better .I've also seen interior /exterior paints that seal out stains better than interior only paints .they tend to dry quicker .I believe that most dry flim paints these days are relativly safe .as long as they are meant for residential use .The health issues You speek of are usually asociated with the dryers and vehicals aromatic hydrocarbons or strong smells of amonia that would be present in exterior paint to facilitate in them drying quickly .I dont know of any manufacture that pute pesticides in either interior or exterior I know there is pesticides that can be used on the exterior of buildings .and Ive known or heard of some slum lords using pesticide additive on interior paint because of intect problems with thier properties .Never gets found out till some child eats old paint chips .and even then is usually ascociated with the local exterminator that sprays three or four times a year .

Offline JTsPainting

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 02:58:13 AM »
I personally don't use Exterior only paint on the interior of a house .There are too many int/ext paints available that do just fine . ;D

Offline Nicggdepo

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:45 AM »
Thank you informed me.

Offline Precision Painting

• Voted Vancouver's #1 Painting Company
    • Vancouver Painters
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
I am almost certain its a health hazzard to use exterior paint indoors. Looking into it further.

No not even close to being a "health hazard" its all water based paint.
Our business has been servicing Vancouver since 1994. We are dedicated to deliver high quality painting services in the Lower Mainland.

Web: Vancouver Painters

Google+: PrecisionpaintingCa

Offline 1st Coast Painting

• 1st Coast Painting & more inc
    • House Painters
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 08:11:34 AM »
I have also used exterior trim paint on interior trim. Traditionally, I use Proclaasic Interior semi-gloss paint, but there has been the occasion when I have chosen exterior trim paint on interior trim. When I am converting oil to water base is one of those times. I prime prior to application of finish coats, but I have found the exterior paint adheres better and covers better if you are painting of stained or varnished surface.

exterior painters
exterior painting
Done right the 1st time! www.1stcoastpainting.com
<a href="http://1stcoastpainting.com">house painters</a>

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
I have also used exterior trim paint on interior trim. Traditionally, I use Proclaasic Interior semi-gloss paint, but there has been the occasion when I have chosen exterior trim paint on interior trim. When I am converting oil to water base is one of those times. I prime prior to application of finish coats, but I have found the exterior paint adheres better and covers better if you are painting of stained or varnished surface.

exterior painters
exterior painting
sheens are big thing for me and when i cant find a good interior middle ground between finishes with the products my customers request, i will use an exterior if the sheen has achieved that middle ground
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 01:23:13 AM »

exterior painters
exterior painting
sheens are big thing for me and when i cant find a good interior middle ground between finishes with the products my customers request, i will use an exterior if the sheen has achieved that middle ground
no surprise there :o

Offline soperfectpaint

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 02:28:46 AM »
The high quality exterior paint cost about the same as the high quality interior one.Exterior paints just have some properties to deal with vast temperature changes, humidity.stuff that you don't really have to deal with inside.Many primers are this way too...Interior/Exterior. So, to me, it's a non-issue.

www.soperfectpaint.com/

anything