Author Topic: Backbrushing ? what up with that?  (Read 19511 times)

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Backbrushing ? what up with that?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 05:19:15 PM »
I just rolled out an old ceiling that you could see was brushed out in the old days. the brush marks were still reading through.  When I was bein' learnt (in the late 70's) ,my instructor made us brush out a room old style, just to say we've done it. Did you know that spraying has been around longer than rollers? Fackt.

;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 07:00:15 PM »
Did you know that spraying has been around longer than rollers

Nuh uh No way man  :o

well hell I got this spray rig thats pretty dang old from between the 30's to 50'sso MAYBE so ;)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 09:50:34 PM »
Norman Breakey 1940 ... and Norman never made much money for his troubles ... Stolen by a Sherwin Williams crony .. Those SOBs...  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_rollers

rmichael
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:01:22 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Hotrod

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 11:21:09 PM »
I wont spray even a steel door without backrolling it.  In my opinion everything needs to be backrolled/brushed.

Jared

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »
I believe Carl has some great points here.

I too have seen MANY backbrushed doors that would have looked 1000% better if they had just rolled it out with a low-nap roller and left it alone.  Some folks just don't know how to backbrush I suppose.

At the same time, I backbrush the majority of the doors I paint.  The only exception to this rule for me is when rolling out flush interior doors using a coating which self-levels exceptionally well - if it looks as smooth as glass 3 mins after rolling it out, why bother to backbrush?  ;)  But I can only pull this off when using specific coatings, most standard interior paints just don't settle down and flow smoothly enough to pull this off.

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 04:01:19 PM »
I usually roll and backbrush.  We all know how to paint a wood door in correct sequence, but what sequence or method do those of you use that roll and don't backbrush?  I would think the panels would be difficult to roll nicely.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 06:07:41 PM »
For me it's really simple....
with the exception of primers, and wall paint, if it's rolled out,
it's brushed out.

Ditto.. I second that motion ...
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 06:34:27 PM »
For me it's really simple....
with the exception of primers, and wall paint, if it's rolled out,
it's brushed out.

Ditto.. I second that motion ...

There are exceptions to this line of thought. I just rolled out 50 motel doors...Steel...Prepainred several times and the sins of Cain upon them...Nothing hides a terrible painter's sins like a good consistant stiple. I also agree with a previous poster on the youchup aspect of stiple; It can be duplicated with a brush.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 06:42:53 PM »
When rolling a door, I still do the panels first and then the stiles.  The only thing that gets brushed is the bottom of the door along the rubber and around the hinges....the roller fits inside the lowered portions of the panels too. 

Vin

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 01:55:09 AM »
I can see rolling and brushing a panel wood or simulated wood door I just can't picture a smooth steel door ( with or without panes ) with stipple texture they should glow with gloss  8), do you guys spray anything? ::) :P :-\ :-* lol
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:00:30 AM by Vin »

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 04:08:34 PM »
Carl, I still don't see how you can roll a steel paneled door and make it look good.  I can't see how the panels would be done.

Offline Fred

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 06:25:54 PM »
Guess it's time to chime in . We roll all steel doors without back brushing. Now if it's a textured door or real wood we just brush.The weenie roller leaves a nice tight stiple and makes touch-up a breeze, oh yeah and no brush marks  lol
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 07:20:33 PM »
D Berry,

I use a 4" roller 1/8" nap.  It fits inside the panels easily.  If you were thinking I use a 9" roller then yeah I guess that wouldn't make sense!

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 03:22:51 PM »
Carl, I know you are professional enough to use a 4 in., I do too, but even a 4 in. seems to big to get around the sides of the panels nicely.  Maybe I need to try it sometime.

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 05:52:18 PM »
I would love to spray all my steel doors, but they get beat up and then touching them up doesn't work that well.  The rolled doors are the easiest to touch up....I just dab at it with my brush to simulate the slight texture and it blends right in.

We spray all our steel doors. And ya they get banged up. I use the small 4" sponge roller to touch them up. And since we use oil on our trim I add a little penatrol to the enamel and it flows right out.

anything