Author Topic: The Perfect Paint Line  (Read 98936 times)

Offline Frankie

Re: The Perfect Paint Line
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 08:49:05 PM »
The Perfect Paint Line
This technique was first posted by Eric The Paintsmith. Eric is the moderator for the pro board. A great tip!
I have put together an example for DIY Homeowners.

For this example I will use the color Red and Blue.
Paint the first color (Red) and lap slightly onto the designated area for the second color (Blue)
Allow the paint to dry.
Use a tape that is intended for use on delicate or freshly painted surfaces and tape the line where you want the Blue color to begin. You should be taping over the Red.
Press down the tape's edge.
Paint over the tape's edge ( where the Blue color will begin ) with the Red color.
Allow to dry
Paint over the tape's edge with the Blue color and continue to fill in the area.
Allow to dry and remove tape.

By painting over the tape's edge with the first color any bleed under the tape will not show, it will also seal the tape's edge.

Thank You very much!!!!...I was a little confused at first but after a few readings I got the point great idea. can't wait to try it...

Offline castlebond007

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 10:43:36 PM »
may be i'm just ignorant but when would this taping deal be useful in residential work?  i mean, i've been in the custom color/home business for 15 yrs and my free-hand has served me well thus far......with the exception of decorative techniques ofcoarse......i mean, a line can only be as true as the condition of the surface.  i assume that most pros have their own ways of cleaning up a raw corner before cutting.... i do a little deal with my 5in1 before i caulk but......it still seems way faster than ........hmmm......just don't get the tape thing......help? 
                                                                                             thanks mitch

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 10:54:41 PM »
Stripes in bath , for instance. Two toned walls without a chairrail.  Hand made border strip.

etc.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline castlebond007

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »
not sure what you guys are talking about.  i've been in residential new/repaint for 15yrs and yet to use tape except for decorative applications...........could you give an example of when/where this would be applicable?                    thanks.........

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 06:35:01 PM »
It's useful for homeowners and DIY'ers that are not pros and do not know how or have the ability to cut freehand lines perfectly straight.  Also, IMO the freehand line even if done perfect will never be as perfectly straight as the taped line.  A lot of times, the ego of the painter gets in the way of deciding which method works best.  Sure, I can cut a straight line freehand, but why should I if taping it is faster and it comes out better?

Offline castlebond007

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 11:56:05 AM »
o.k. i 've got it now.  :-[ have'nt done much of that in a few years and i thought you guys were talking about something else.  thanks for the clairification.  in retrospect i see that i will very well put this info to use on a future job.  so thanks in advance................................... :)

Offline VancouverPainter

• Vancouver Painting Contractors
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »
Great tips. Is anyone in the mood to make a video of this procedure?

Vin

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 11:55:54 PM »
Soon as I come up with a skeem for my bedroom wall with stripes I will video tape it maybe next week I am also going to be doing some venetian plastering soon on a wall for practice

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 05:00:26 PM »
may be i'm just ignorant but when would this taping deal be useful in residential work?  i mean, i've been in the custom color/home business for 15 yrs and my free-hand has served me well thus far......with the exception of decorative techniques ofcoarse......i mean, a line can only be as true as the condition of the surface.  i assume that most pros have their own ways of cleaning up a raw corner before cutting.... i do a little deal with my 5in1 before i caulk but......it still seems way faster than ........hmmm......just don't get the tape thing......help? 
                                                                                             thanks mitch

I'd be very curious to see what you consider a straight line and how long it takes you to cut in a ceiling and trim.  I can freehand with the best of 'em but I still use tape for trim and ceilings because it does a better job quicker.  It takes about five minutes to tape in a ceiling and about one minute to tape in a door.   Surely that six minutes is made up when you can slap the paint on knowing that the tape will give you a perfect line.

O yeah, I also caulk the tape to prevent any bleeding.

Offline jaz

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 01:58:51 AM »
to you ppl who tape your ceiling line just wondering if u have the tape on the cornice or on the wall. i am going to give it a crack taping a house and not sure if i want the ceiling paint slightly on the wall or wall paint slightly on the ceiling like it would be if u cut it in. i will be spraying the line

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
to you ppl who tape your ceiling line just wondering if u have the tape on the cornice or on the wall. i am going to give it a crack taping a house and not sure if i want the ceiling paint slightly on the wall or wall paint slightly on the ceiling like it would be if u cut it in. i will be spraying the line

If you tape it properly then you won't have any ceiling paint on the wall or wall paint on the ceiling.  That said, if you do get some paint where it's not supposed to be, it's better to have the wall paint on the ceiling.

Offline waynec

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 02:47:44 PM »
I have a small company that paints about 50 homes a year and the only trim we tape is the base. I check all cuts at the of the job to make sure they are straight and clean. This works for us. 

Offline thebrushand

• Andrew Crichton Master Painter and Decorator
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 04:11:34 PM »
These tips are great, all I want to add is to be flexible in the technique you choose. On old properties you are lucky to get a dead straight line to cut in to. I just taped a cornice and got lucky with a great result, but because the main lath and plaster wall was so wobbly, when I taped a line for the picture rail and the skirting boards, it looked like it went in and out like a donkeys doo dah, so I "straightened them out" to the human eye by re-painting the line freehand.

Offline canadianpainter

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »
I have a small company that paints about 50 homes a year and the only trim we tape is the base. I check all cuts at the of the job to make sure they are straight and clean. This works for us. 

We do things the exact opposite as you.  On new construction we freehand the base and tape doorframes, windows and ceilings.  IMO this is the most effective way to approach the job in terms of quality and efficiency.  If we're doing repaints we might tape the base aswell; it depends on the condition of the base.

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 10:49:01 PM »
These tips are great, all I want to add is to be flexible in the technique you choose. On old properties you are lucky to get a dead straight line to cut in to. I just taped a cornice and got lucky with a great result, but because the main lath and plaster wall was so wobbly, when I taped a line for the picture rail and the skirting boards, it looked like it went in and out like a donkeys doo dah, so I "straightened them out" to the human eye by re-painting the line freehand.

When dealing with old work trim I find it best to tape it a bit shy of the wall, the job looks much better with a hairline of wall paint on the trim edge than it does with any trim paint on the wall... and it can be taped with a straighter line..
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."