Author Topic: Comfortable work shoes?  (Read 19783 times)

Jared

Comfortable work shoes?
« on: November 04, 2007, 11:31:24 AM »
For about 20 years now I have exclusively worn Merrell hiking boots for work.  I have always been very satisfied with both the comfort and quality of Merrell boots - I am very hard on my shoes, yet I'd consistently get 3-4 years of everyday use out of each pair...  until the last 2 pairs.  They are still very comfortable, but they seem to wear out within a year or less, which to me is unacceptable considering I am paying $150-200+ per pair.

Last week I went out and bought a pair of Timberland Pro boots.  I was quite sure they'd last for years as the construction quality was excellent - but after wearing them for less than 2 hours I was literally hobbled...  I've never experienced this klind of pain, and quite frankly, I'd prefer to never experience it again.

Anyone have recommendations for high quality, super-comfortable work shoes?

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
Re: Comfortable work shoes?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:46:49 PM »
How about Mephisto work shoes, I don't know if they are available in Cali, but for interior work which is what you do I know of people who swear by them, I like Timberland myself but I see you had a bad experience with them.... also look at police and firefighter foot gear made by magnum.  :)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:50:05 PM »
I wear Vans  ;D

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:51:09 PM »
Because I am always kicking off/ on shoes going in peoples houses ( especially in MN in the winter) , I have worn some kind of slip on for years. And also doing exclusively interior work, I don't need hard shoes for ladder work much.  My latest favs have been LLbeans sport moc. 29.99.  One pair for inside, 1 for outside.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Vin

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 02:13:22 AM »
I exclusively wear And1 basketball shoes there the bomb!!

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:04:05 AM »
I wear Vans  ;D

ditto

Offline TomTom

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:32:23 AM »
I'm a runner so I always use my running shoes once they are no longer useful for running. They usually get 500 miles of running or less then they are used for work. This is deal for me as they are still really comfortable. I find it is very important to not only have comfortable shoes for work but shoes that are very light. A lightweight shoe will make a huge difference to your day. As for hiking boots I got my latest pair on sale at REI. I think it was their own brand. And as for Vans I've had them in the past but they are way too stiff for my liking. Good for 'boarding maybe, but not my idea of shoes to wear all day.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 05:24:56 PM »
How about a nice pair of Doc Martens... vintage pre 2003...  :D

I agree that comfortable shoes make for a much better day, but I swear these days there is no telling what you will see on a job-site. A few years back I saw a carpenter on a pump jack walk board wearing flip flops..  :o .. while at the paint store this past summer I saw a professional painter dressed completely in whites and wearing sandals ( no socks ).... What's next, those slipper socks with the little thingies on the bottom .... :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 05:27:29 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 07:31:20 PM »
It would be tough to fit into your boot rmichael HEH HEH

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 07:59:29 PM »
LOL... OK, I have his boots but where the hell is SANTA!... That Dirty Dog!...   :o  ;D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 10:28:14 PM »
;D

Jared

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 12:26:58 AM »
Followup:

After spending what seemed like half a day in Boot World trying on every boot in the store, I finally settled on a more expensive pair of Timberland Pro boots than I had started with.  It is amazing how much more comfort that extra $60 will buy.  ;)  These things are really just as comfortable as my old hiking boots, but will definately outlast them.

These are the ones I got:

I must admit that I was surprised to see no one step up and suggest the old classic for painters - the white low-top Converse All Stars.  Back in the 70's and 80's it was hard to find a painter that didn't wear them...  not exactly what I'd consider the pinnacle of comfort though.  ;)

Anyway, my thanks to all for the insightful input.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:07:39 AM by Jared »

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 02:10:48 PM »
Nice looking shoes, but they might look kind of funny on me.  ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 07:33:55 PM »
Lyn, they make a version for girls....errrrrrrrrmm..I mean, women... ;D

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
I can't wear work boots. I crushed my foot in an auto accident in 86 & have a hard time with them. Only thing I have found that works for me is the Reebok Freestyle aerobic shoes which are getting hard to find. Anything else kills my ankles by the end of the day.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton