Author Topic: Advertising  (Read 7910 times)

Offline D. Berry

Advertising
« on: November 30, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »

Has anyone used any of the inexpensive yard signs for advertising?  I'm thinking of one like a realtor puts in yards.  If so, did it generate any business that you know of?  A local company quoted me about $25 for an 18x24 corrugated sign.  It's one of the cheap one with wire clothes hanger type rods that push into the ground.

Jared

Re: Advertising
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:48:33 PM »
Some folks have success with yard signs, others don't.  Some communities don't allow them.  Personally, I use them often but not on every job.

If you do a search from the forum's main page for "advertising" and/or "marketing" you'll find some posts on the subject.  ;)

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:11:12 PM »
I think that buying a yard sign for 25 bucks won't hurt you. I try to do all I can to let my presence be known. Lettered truck windows, signs, neighbor canvass letters, etc are all great ways to get a neighborhood to notice you. The more exposure the better. I would try to work a deal to get more than just one though. They tend to get beat up or stolen.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »
We offer jobsite signs to our home improvement dealers who are permitted to use them in their respective cities or townships. We do charge for them and a nice professional sign isn't cheap. We pay $88 for each sign, multi-colored, on 20 gauge steel with steel posts. They are made to last.

We're also using the mailer #2 in the link below. A very economical source that can be mailed to the zip code or street you wish to work in/on.

https://www.precisionentry.com/img/pdfs/QuantumMailCards.pdf

Michael

When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline paintcrafter

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:05:45 PM »
Get a yard sign, put it in the yard, do a reverse lookup for that street on Whitpages.com and send everyone on the street a hand written letter. Works like a charm and is pretty much free.

The next day when the see the sign they will remember the letter and most likely call if they need something.

good better best marketing 101
4th Generation Painter...what an idiot.

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 11:12:47 PM »
I do not have any, but never gave them much thought.  My uncle had some in the past, but not sure if they generated any business.  For now he gets enough business as is.  I don't even recall seeing the signs in his truck or trailer anymore.  Last time I saw them they were against the wall in his garage, the same place I saw them almost 2 years prior lol.

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 09:24:47 AM »
I have one myself and paid $25.00 it has not worked for me, 80% of my work has come from add in small town community papers the other 20% from referrals.

:)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 12:19:46 PM »
No advertising here, none. Word of mouth and return customers keep me as busy as I like...We even turn about ten customers away every year...

...I don't like "shoppers"...I'm not, and never will be the low bidder...

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 01:24:39 PM »
I've just got back into painting a little over a year ago after being away from it for ten years.  A lot has changed.  Almost all of my painting was exterior.  I've limited myself to interior and have had to learn a few new things and products.  I could only locate a few of the people I painted for in the past so getting their business again has been a dead end.  Although I did do one job for a person I painted for many years ago and that lead to another job.  It will take awhile for word to spread.  I just thought maybe a sign would be helpful.

Offline Stever

• Websites for Contractors
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 07:33:50 AM »
D.

If your starting from scratch again then any type of advertising and marketing you can think of and can afford will certainly help, till you get to that point where there is enough word of mouth referrals keeping you busy.

For cost effectiveness I think decals on your vehicle might be among the best.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 07:27:48 PM »
Referrals will keep you busy, but if you want to diversify, multiply and make a lot of money, you will need to advertise.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline SWRep

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 11:32:46 PM »
Don't know what your relationship is with your SW dealers, but they will sometimes hook you up with signs or magnets.  They can get them with their logo on it so it's advertising for both of you.  Gotta look at like a partnership.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 07:57:11 PM »
SW dealers, but they will sometimes hook you up with signs or magnets.  They can get them with their logo on it so it's advertising for both of you.  Gotta look at like a partnership.

Yeah, hook you up for $100

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 07:03:21 AM »
Unless you want to be a "captive" SW dealer, painter, etc., there is very little they have to offer in terms of advancing your business.

Read or listen to the series, "Making Business Better" by Certainteed Corporation. Great ideas on how to increase your profits by putting more value on your work. I've used their Good, Better, Best concept for 12 successful years.

And, if you're a pro here, your work does indeed have value.

Michael

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 02:06:39 PM »
Do a excellent job each and everytime and handle all issues if they arrise and advertising is "FREE" as nothing beats word of mouth.  Keep in mind that everyone knows someone!!! ;D
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com