Author Topic: newbie questions  (Read 7896 times)

part-timer

newbie questions
« on: December 31, 2005, 09:49:07 AM »
I'm a teacher by day and have started to do some interior painting in the evenings and on weekends. I have a ton of questions, but I'll spare you most and just start with these two....

1. What system do you use for clean up on the job? Do you just bring a five gal. bucket  with some water in it, and throw all brushes, rollers, etc. in there, until you get home/shop?

2. I'm not sure how to handle the "who provides the paint" question? The local MAB Paint store will give me a cash-account with a 10% discount to start. But then my question becomes, do I ask the customer to go to MAB and pick it out or do I carry somekind of pamphlet selection?

Any and all help welcomed.

the PAINTSMITH

Re:newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 10:27:36 AM »
...I have a ton of questions, I'll start with these two....

1. What system do you use for clean up on the job? Do you just bring a five gal. bucket  with some water in it, and throw all brushes, rollers, etc. in there, until you get home/shop?

In many cases, especially repaints, that's about all you can do. It makes an impression on the customer that you have a policy of not imposing any more than you must, and have regard for their property and utilities (the water can run a while ;D)...

In new construction, especially before landscaping and such has been completed, it is a little more convenient to clean up at the site, but beware; some of your materials do NOT belong in the ground....

2. I'm not sure how to handle the "who provides the paint" question? The local MAB Paint store will give me a cash-account with a 10% discount to start. But then my question becomes, do I ask the customer to go to MAB and pick it out or do I carry somekind of pamphlet selection?

Ask your vendor for a "fandeck", a book of paint color chips to help customers decide on a color. Paint stores will supply you with one or more of these for free (at least I've never been asked to pay for them)...You'll need fandecks for every paint company you work with...

As far as supplying paint goes, unless you are doing T&M, the materials should be part of your estimate, and you actually deliver it to the site. However, (sorry, had to do it, you being a teacher and all  ;D) some customers will ask to supply their own materials, which is also fine, simply leave paint out of your estimate...You can deal with the store discount in several ways, one to be marking the price back up to make a profit on materials (and also charge sales tax), or pass the savings on to the customer, which I do, and thus giving the customer an added incentive to hire you....Not to mention the free advertising when word gets around....

Good luck with your new business...

part-timer

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 02:39:21 PM »
T&M? Sorry not familiar. Thanks for you help

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 08:54:33 AM »
T&M; Time & Materials. This is a type of job contract wherein the customer agrees to pay you for actual labor time acrued and either pays for the materials outright (and sometimes physically delivers them to the site) at the store, or pays you from a submitted bill; Once again, you have the option of marking up materials, but it's often wise to simply bill materials straight across until you understand the "game" a little better...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 08:55:08 AM by the PAINTSMITH »

Offline Part-timer

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 01:39:24 PM »
Thanks for the help Paintsmith. I realize these questions (and many on this forum) are very difficult to answer b/c they're situation-specific, but I guess the more we read about them the easier it gets to go out there and do the job right. Thanks again.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 12:02:26 AM »
Just a few basic notes on material:

As the Paintsmith points out.. Always provide your customer with a paint color "fandeck" and unless you know the customer very well NEVER recommend a specific color. This will relieve you of ANY  responsibility if the color turns out badly (in the eyes of the customer.) Painters are often falsely accused for the customer's bad color choices.

Also insist on using high end paint and materials regardless of who is providing them. The job will go smoother and have a much better result.

rmichael      pro painter
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 12:03:41 AM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Part-timer

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 01:50:24 AM »
good info on the high end paint.

...while i'm at it, will most (or any) paint stores mix a color based on a "scanned" swatch? ..Let me try to clarify....a customer recently told me that her former painter took a random color sample from no-name hardware store and gave it to his Pro-paint store. They then scanned the color patch and mixed paint to match. Is this possible? Common?

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 07:12:15 PM »
Most franchise paint stores and Home improvement stores can match a color swatch. Computer Color matching technology is now widely available, however, smaller stores may feel that the cost is prohibitive.
Have the clerk dry a daub of the matched paint on a piece of paper  ( a blow dryer works well and most paint stores will have one ) so you can "eyeball" the dried paint before you leave the store.

rmichael  pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

anything