Poll

What do you mostly put through your airless rig?

Only oil based paints
Only water based paints
I switch between the two on the same rig
I have two rigs, one for each

Author Topic: AIRLESS PAINTERS POLL  (Read 31868 times)

Offline PowerPainterUK

AIRLESS PAINTERS POLL
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »
hey guys, (& gals) I am trying to gain as much helpful info from you as I can because there are not too many airless users here in the UK. I hope you dont mind me "pickin' your brains"
I want to ask you what you put through your rig and how often. Do you use mostly acrylic or waterborn paints, mostly oil or a mix of the 2? I have just bough a used rig so I can use it only for oilbased and keep my other for only latex and acrylic paints. Thanks in advance for your answers,  :)
Phil

Offline PowerPainterUK

Re: AIRLESS PAINTERS POLL
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 03:55:44 PM »
ah, I've just realised there's a special place on the forum for polls ::) sorry guys, can someone move this thread to the correct place please? cheers,
Phil :)

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 04:02:10 PM »
I have 3 pumps.  One is for spraying latex drywall, one for spraying latex trim and one for spraying varnish, lacquer, sealer, etc.  I would use that one for oil based paint too but I haven't needed to spray oil for years and hope never to again.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 05:03:49 PM »
I have 3 pumps.  One is for spraying latex drywall, one for spraying latex trim and one for spraying varnish, lacquer, sealer, etc.  I would use that one for oil based paint too but I haven't needed to spray oil for years and hope never to again.
Thats basicly my set up as well.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:21:32 PM by Workaholic »
Sean

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:20:51 PM »
Dedicated rigs, if not you will be fighting "fish eyes" forever....  :'(   ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 10:07:18 PM »
I also use 3 airless rigs. One for drywall spray outs and exteriors(all latex), One for enameling trim, doors, ect.(only oil), and one for clear coats(usually lacquer or conversion varnish). For the trim and clear coats i use the 440i.
And for the drywall spray outs/exteriors I have a gas powered speedflow the has two 150 foot lines. I leave this pump in the box truck so I don't have to carry 100 gallons of paint into a house to spray walls and ceilings. I so nice not hearing the pump while doing a spray out.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:11:54 PM by Bauer »

Offline PowerPainterUK

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »
Dedicated rigs, if not you will be fighting "fish eyes" forever....  :'(   ;)
nice tip Michael! ;) Glad I bought  second rig now ;D

Thanks for voting everyone :)

Offline PowerPainterUK

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 03:13:18 PM »
I also use 3 airless rigs. One for drywall spray outs and exteriors(all latex), One for enameling trim, doors, ect.(only oil), and one for clear coats(usually lacquer or conversion varnish). For the trim and clear coats i use the 440i.
And for the drywall spray outs/exteriors I have a gas powered speedflow the has two 150 foot lines. I leave this pump in the box truck so I don't have to carry 100 gallons of paint into a house to spray walls and ceilings. I so nice not hearing the pump while doing a spray out.  ;)

wow, that speedflow sounds like a "beast" :o

So Carl & workaholic, you don't like using oil base now, what do you use instead? Water base? Over here the best alternative to oil is acrylic, I love it but it costs about 50% more than oil :(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:15:33 PM by PowerPainterUK »

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 06:59:38 PM »
I spayed oil once, never again.  Hate it.  Had a customer who demanded oil based primer on an entire bathroom a few weeks ago, boy did that suck.  Never again......

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 07:31:46 PM »
Yeah, I use acrylic paint for trim. I don't notice a big price difference between oil based paint and acrylic paint....they seem to cost about the same.

Offline Fred

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
we use a Graco 495 for drywall work, a CAPSpray air assisted airless for finish work, and I've got an old spraytech that's been in hibernation for close to 2 years which we use for oil yuk.... This is only a personal opinion but I've found that since buying the CAPSpray I've had no reason to spray oil.
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......

Offline PowerPainterUK

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 02:59:23 AM »
Over here the water based ands acrylic paints are great for satin and eggshell but the gloss isn't really as good a finish as the oil yet. Thankfully the trend over here at the moment is for satin/eggshell rather than gloss. I've used acrylic gloss but the finish is more like satinwood than gloss. I've used pure water based gloss but again the finish isn't really up to the oil. It just doesn't lay down like oil gloss and the brush marks remain. I am trying to get hold of some Floetrol to see if it helps but over here it's very rare to find and costs a lot online. I have just ordered a hopper kit for my 495 though from O-Gee in Miami and I've asked them to put a quart of Floetrol in the order so at least I'll get to try it out. Anyone here have much experience with Floetrol?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 03:06:46 AM by PowerPainterUK »

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 09:54:22 AM »
It's pretty good. The XIM extender is better though. ;)

Offline PowerPainterUK

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 02:43:06 PM »
It's pretty good. The XIM extender is better though. ;)
I was contacted on here by Bill Kellner , the marketing director of Xim products. He was asking me why "peel away" hasn't taken off here in the UK. Unfortunately I can't even find anywhere in the UK to buy their products. I'd like to try Xim extender though.

Offline PowerPainterUK

Thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 02:08:06 PM »
Thank you to everyone who voted in this poll; it's useful information.
once again, thanks and merry christmas if that's your thing. ;D