Author Topic: Sprayer technique  (Read 11481 times)

Brian

Sprayer technique
« on: January 06, 2006, 01:31:37 AM »
          Hi, I am a new member and also a newer painting contractor. I am getting involved in commercial projects and will be using a sprayer alot. I was wondering what is the correct technique for application of paint using a sprayer..... I will be applying latex paint to new construction, drywall with orange peel texture specifically, and have read in texts about having a second person there to backroll after spraying. What if I just spray without backrolling--is that acceptable, and what problems can occur if I don't do it?   Or is it standard to backroll after spraying?   What do most commercial contractors do? Any advice would help   THanks

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 12:10:23 PM by admin »

Offline Part-timer

Re:Sprayer technique
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 08:04:58 AM »
As my moniker states, I'm only a part-timer but my opinion is that back-rolling gives the paint a finish that spraying can't. It's not that you can't get an even finish with a sprayer, it's more that you can't get a rolled-finish with a sprayer. It sounds like the problem is that you are working solo? If that's the case, I would think that it would be relatively easy to spray a wall and then back roll it. But then again, I've never even used a sprayer so what do I know? Just my opinion.

the PAINTSMITH

Re:Sprayer technique
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 09:29:22 AM »
I've known darn few spray men who were consistant enough to not need their work backrolled....Conditions, materials, skill with the gun all need to be there in order to get away with it often, though I've met a good number of cocky painters who talked a great talk, but wound up blaming their equipment or cheap materials when they had spraylines, fingering, puddling and holidays....The wall will have a bit to say about it as well, the more textured, the more forgiving...

A certain mindset is required to spray "perfectly". You need to pay intense attention to your work (good luck with all that, especially on a construction site). HVLP is designed to NOT be backrolled, but go ahead and try to spray out an interior with a cup gun!! You'll definitely wind up with "Popeye" forearms!!

The best advice I can give you if you have no choice but to spray sans backroll is to thin your material a little, use a smaller spraytip (like a Graco 413), and use a vey fast arm motion with your gun ALWAYS in the same direction (no arcing, use your wrist to keep the gun perpendicular to your work at all times) and at the same distance from the wall with a very consistant speed....And you'll need to experiment with rig pressure to find the "sweet spot"...New tips often "finger", leaving a trail outside the spray pattern that WILL show if not backrolled. Sometimes a little more pressure will help to minimize this effect, but your best bet is to adjust your distance from your work--the closer you are, the more prominent those fingers will be...

Good luck

Offline ClaudDKLyons

Re: Sprayer technique
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:43:25 AM »
It sounds like the problem is that you are working solo? If that's the case, I would think that it would be relatively easy to spray a wall and then back roll it. But then again, I've never even used a sprayer so what do I know? Just my opinion.

Offline airclay

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 11:29:13 AM »
Personally I try to stay away from spraying interior walls, I find it doesn't fit my preferred work order and usually leaves more mess and touch up work than just  rolling would have. Unless its raw drywall and you're spraying primer.

But a couple tips for someone new to spraying, pressure and tip sizes can make or break your finish, use a high enough pressure to cover but not so high the blowback is hitting you, I use 413 tips for exteriors, ceilings and closets, 311 for trim, latex doors and cabinets and 211 fine finish for oil doors and cabinets. Thats all me tho, it's what I'm comfortable w and know how to produce quality work, you'll have to find what you're comfortable with.

And when it sits for more than a couple days w/o use, store it full with mineral spirits to keep it in good condition. (but make sure you push water thru the line prior to pumping up any latex paints or your day is gonna be full of clogs)

Offline soperfectpaint

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 02:03:11 AM »
Rolling should be done after painting.It is the best method to give exact finish to your coat.
www.soperfectpaint.com

Offline Edwinjcb

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »
I always backroll a textured finish. However, if the wall is smooth, trying to backroll it will only lift off much of the recently sprayed paint, leaving areas of thin coverage that look terrible.  Smooth walls usually look good with only spraying, but if you must backroll, make sure you use a short nap roller to avoid lifting off the paint.

Offline mp3ror

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 01:12:58 AM »
it would be relatively easy to spray a wall and then back roll it. But then again, I've never even used a sprayer so what do I know?
nice post ! :P

Offline facembanidaimon

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 03:33:26 AM »
I would think that it would be relatively easy to spray a wall and then back roll it. But then again, I've never even used a sprayer so what do I know? Just my opinion.