Author Topic: Few questions  (Read 9068 times)

Ray

Few questions
« on: January 07, 2006, 08:06:46 AM »
Hi guys,
I about to send a proposal for a high end new construction work and have some questions. Your input would certainly be helpful:

1. If you were to paint all trim with oil based instead of latex. How much more would you add to your labor cost? does 10% more sound right?

2. Do you guys prime PVC trims? how about flexible rubber trims?

3. what percentage for painting matte finish instead of flat?

4. They require matte on the ceilings. Is that a goo idea?

5. Staining mohogany library. How would you come up with a price for that?

thanks,
Ray

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Flying this Spruce Goose
    • painterforum
Re:Few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 11:51:08 PM »
Alkyd (oil) based paint is not recommended for PVC vinyl or rubber trims. The substrate expansion and contraction rates are not very compatible with an alkyd paint film. For the best results, in terms of the longevity of the finish, use a high end Acrylic latex enamel over the cleaned and de-glossed vinyl surface.

admin     propainter
I am a webmaster in the tradition of Howard Hughes, I fly this Spruce Goose of a website through cyberspace by the seat of my pants and I usually manage to keep her just above the water, but every now and then I get a wet ass. Let me know if you feel a shudder.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 12:11:48 PM »
Ray,

Now days a lot of pros charge a 10-20% premium for using oil based paint simply because of the general hassle of use and clean up.

The term "Matte" often is the same a "flat" . Some paint companies have a "Velvet" paint which has a click higher sheen than a "flat" paint, and may be referred to as "Matte". At any rate until the paint sheen is high enough to require very careful application (say a "satin" or "High eggshell" ) then you cannot realistically charge more for the application.

You can figure the stain work as you would a primer and the clear coats as you would per finish coat of paint. Add a premium for the extra care involved in the process.

rmichael   pro painter
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 12:45:12 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Ray

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 02:38:09 PM »
Alkyd (oil) based paint is not recommended for PVC vinyl or rubber trims. The substrate expansion and contraction rates are not very compatible with an alkyd paint film. For the best results, in terms of the longevity of the finish, use a high end Acrylic latex enamel over the cleaned and de-glossed vinyl surface.

admin     propainter

Thanks,
so you say no oil paint. However, that's what they require. I tried telling them to go with BM satin impervo, but they want what they want.
do you thinks the PVC and rubber trims are going to crack soon after painting is done?

ray

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 03:00:20 PM »

admin     propainter

Thanks,
so you say no oil paint. However, that's what they require. I tried telling them to go with BM satin impervo, but they want what they want.
do you thinks the PVC and rubber trims are going to crack soon after painting is done?

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Flying this Spruce Goose
    • painterforum
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 03:23:57 PM »
Over time alkyd paint applied to vinyl or rubber may crack and/or peel. Also if the vinyl is in the form of doors or window sashes the application of solvent based products may void the factory warranty.
You could have an Acrylic paint matched to color for use on the vinyl parts (IE. door lite grids, sashes etc.) but remember that the coatings will "age" differently and may not match after a period of time.

admin   propainter
I am a webmaster in the tradition of Howard Hughes, I fly this Spruce Goose of a website through cyberspace by the seat of my pants and I usually manage to keep her just above the water, but every now and then I get a wet ass. Let me know if you feel a shudder.

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 10:56:43 PM »
I really don't understand why some people are so tied to and dedicated to oil based paints.  It's like because their grandpa used it, then it must be good and therefore the only option. ::)  The science of paint and coatings has come so far and we know so much more than we did even 5 years ago.

There's a really good article in the January/February This Old House magazine about making paints safer, page 19.  VOCs are a hotpoint for me and the article speaks to that beautifully.  My favorite quote from the magazine:

"You didn't stockpile lead-based paints and asbestos insulation in the late '70's.  So why hoard VOC-packed paints when there are safer alternatives that perform just as well?"
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 09:38:25 AM »
Actually I still like using alkyds, enamel has a way to go yet before totally eliminating some of the definite advantages to oil...But that's another conversation... ;)

Ray, if they spec oil or alkyd finishes and you can't talk them out of it, you have every right to expect them to waive any warranty, implied or otherwise....I've forced customers to do this on a couple ocasions, and though it doesn't completely protect you, it will give you some clout if problems arise that you have proof the customer was warned about in advance...

Good luck

ray

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 08:17:33 PM »
Thanks to all,
BTW guys, all trims are pre-primed with the exception of the PVC and rubber trims. Would you guys recommend priming all trims after patching nail holes? If I don't prim them wouldn't the patches show through the finish coat?
Trims are to be painted with white Dove.
Do you think I can get a way with one coat of tinted primer and one finish or two coat of finish should do the job?

anything