Author Topic: Stripped paint off eaves  (Read 7185 times)

Offline RTQ

• I'm a llama!
Stripped paint off eaves
« on: February 03, 2008, 07:36:34 PM »
Before:

After:

IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/bigwheelspins/IMG_1580.jpg[/IMG]

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
Re: Stripped paint off eaves
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:15:22 PM »
Boy what a difference a good paint job makes.  :)

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:57:19 PM »
BTW What type of stripper did you use, looks like it really did the job...  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline RTQ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »
Most of it was stripped with Multi-Strip. Towards the end I picked up some Citrustrip; both seemed to work equally as well but the Citrustrip smells like you just peeled a dozen oranges. Nonetheless I recommend wearing a good respirator.  The trick to these strippers is getting them on THICK. Couldn't use a roller because it would spread it too thin and too thick a product to put through an airless. If you put it on thick enough and let it sit all day, it turns the paint into a rubbery goo that in many places falls off the wood under it's own gravity. The problem is the places where it doesn't fall off, usually where the stripper didn't get on thick enough. Then it's scrape-a-rama.  You can put more stripper on, but it seemed to leave a stain if it was applied to bare wood. all in all it was a huge pain that I wouldn't want to do again. The stripped paint made a huge sticky mess which I tried to catch with plastic. The rest I sucked up with a shop vac.  Learning as I went it took me just around 150 hours, a case of sandpaper, seven gallons of stripper at $60 per gallon and five gallons of acrylic polyurethane at $40 per gallon. It was satisfying to finish it and make the homeowners happy.

anything