Author Topic: anybody using Minwax poly?  (Read 10540 times)

Offline rex

anybody using Minwax poly?
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:46:56 PM »
Been using it for a number of years now and it really gives nice results.  Flows like no other and always looks like a spray finish when its dry.  It seems lately like its getting thinner or something and wants to sag and run alot.  It forces me to apply alot less finish than I am used to, to avoid getting these runs and sags.  I still think it yields fantastic results but lacks workabilty.  Anyone else having trouble with it like this?  What are you guys using that gives you good results? 

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: anybody using Minwax poly?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:54:59 PM »
I use their "Helmsman" once in a while. Nice mid level sheen.  The finish that I've been using most is Zar satin poly. handles nice, again nice mid sheen.  But I do more enameling than varnishing.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:26:54 PM »
haven't used straight poly in quite some time...
for the vast majority of clear coat work i use Ceramithane: a water borne, ceramic clear coat..
its very nice...
besides, straight poly gets to my brain more than the 70's did...  at least i think it was the 70's ...

Be Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »
I use Ceramithane also. It's very nice and hard as nails. It's also very good for stained fiberglass doors, inside and out since it is UV resistant.

haven't used straight poly in quite some time...
for the vast majority of clear coat work i use Ceramithane: a water borne, ceramic clear coat..
its very nice...
besides, straight poly gets to my brain more than the 70's did...  at least i think it was the 70's ...

Be Well

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »
I use Ceramithane also. It's very nice and hard as nails. It's also very good for stained fiberglass doors, inside and out since it is UV resistant.

The key word being "resistant", a clear that will hold up for any reasonable amount of time to direct and constant UV on a semi-stationary object, like a door, has yet to be formulated... Coating Industry's R&D should focus on that one rather than zero tolerance for VOC....  :<(/  JMHO    :)

But to answer the question... We recently used Minwax poly (Oil) floor finish on a dining room floor. This was new prefinished laminate flooring. We often recommend a coat of poly on the cheaper laminate floors. We did notice that the poly was not as workable as it used to be, and it does require stirring during the process, but all in all it laid down pretty well....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 08:49:08 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
For me; Varathane 1st, then the MinWax. The thin consistancy of Minwax can be a blessing and a curse, depending on circumstances, but overall I have no complaints...

I've used the Helmsman Spar Varnishes when the job has specified it, but the 24-48 hour dry time is excessive for my needs...

Offline reveti

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 06:58:28 PM »
if you guys need a UV resistant poly or clearcoat, check out a product called schooner varnish made by interlux ( available at most marine stores ). this stuff is especially designed for boats and it is unreal, best thing i have ever used. high gloss though, stuff looks like glass when dry.
I\\\'m a firm believer that if the other side scores first you have to score twice to win.\\\"

Jared

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »
rex -

Although not common, I do use minwax polys at times.  A couple of weeks ago I actually laid a tile floor in a kitchen I had repainted some months ago, and I had to install an oak threshhold at the doorway between the kitchen and living room.  LR has oak hardwood floors, so I chose an oak threshhold to match.  After installation, it needed poly to match the floor.  In my tests of different products, the minwax oil-based poly in semigloss was the best match, and I used it with great results.

In this case, I could tell that the floor had been finished in the oil-based poly because of the amber coloration to the poly...  remember that the water-based poly has absolutely no amber coloration whatsoever, so the 2 different products do NOT match in the coloration of the finish.  Also, the water-based poly has a very limited lifetime in my experience, but the oil-based poly tends to be exceptionally strong by comparison.  Due to this, I really don't use the water-based poly at all.

But I agree that the minwax oil-based poly has really changed a lot in the reformulations that have occurred - the overpowering smell has all but disappeared, but the workability has suffered.  You are correct that it has to be laid down thinner now than ever before, and sanding between coats is now absolutely essential to achieve a fine finish and to avoid delaminating problems.  Also, I find I get better results if I really take my time to slowly stir it up from the bottom, as the newer formulation seems to "separate" a lot more than it did before - and an inadequate mix will yield even worse workability.

But minwax's polys are not my preference.  If I have the choice, I too prefer Varethane or ZAR polys.  I'll have to check out the ceramithane, it sounds like a nice product.  And there are some really amazing marine-grade coatings out there too, as they are formulated to endure some of the most extreme environmental conditions on the planet.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 07:34:55 PM »
Varathane Diamond is always my first choice.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 11:09:31 PM »

The key word being "resistant", a clear that will hold up for any reasonable amount of time to direct and constant UV on a semi-stationary object, like a door, has yet to be formulated... Coating Industry's R&D should focus on that one rather than zero tolerance for VOC....  :<(/  JMHO    :)

I was recently called back to a job I did 3+ years ago for some additional work, and the front door I did there still looks great. Although I always mention to the customers that it should be re-coated every 3 years.

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 08:04:35 AM »
Town Hall is going through some renovation for security reasons.  We were asked to do the painting and finishing of the new oak doors.  Having previously tried the ZAR stains and not being pleased with the workability, we used a supplier that handles Minwax.  We added a bit of Penetrol to the poly with good results.  But I personally prefer the sheen of the ZAR poly.
Best,<br />Marion