Author Topic: Staining lattice  (Read 10864 times)

Offline Chip McCheckellson

Staining lattice
« on: February 28, 2008, 12:33:40 PM »
Anyone have experience staining lattice? I have a couple large sections to do which cover the bottom of an second-story deck. Whats the best way to do it? Garden sprayer? Airless? Do i have to wipe off the excess? Will waterborne peel if i don't brush it?  ugh...? hehehe
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:15:17 PM by Chip McCheckellson »
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Staining lattice
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:36:37 PM »
Hi Chip,
When using the thin stuff like TWP we use a garden sprayer... and keep a brush handy ..  ;)

For the heavier bodied stain we use an airless, most of it will draw back but keep the brush handy to brush in corners, pull out runs, and make it pretty...  :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:41:39 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Rick Anderson

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:06:35 PM »
Anyone have experience staining lattice? I have a couple large sections to do which cover the bottom of an second-story deck. Whats the best way to do it? Garden sprayer? Airless? Do i have to wipe off the excess? Will waterborne peel if i don't brush it?  ugh...? hehehe

hi chip

anther thing....when spraying.. aim for the sides...just pick one direction and do the entire lattice one way....let dry then hit the other edge in the other directions...by default you hit flats as opposed to targeting the flats first and not hitting the sides entirely with the inevitable 'overspray'...and again...pick one direction and edge stick with it...don't stand in one spot and try to hit all the targets with 8 different attempts.

Wear at the bare minimum a dust mask and goggles

Rick
www.vancouversbestpainters.com
www.vancouverindustrialpainting.com
www.604painters.com

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »
Hey guys thanks!
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:21:32 AM »
Hey Chip, one piece of bad news---Lattice is thin, dry stick material ('cept for the recycled milk jug variety) and usually makes contact with the ground and wraps around dark, damp underdecks...If you can, get that lattice on horses and spray all 27 sides....The odds are in favor of very quick failure if you don't get ALL exposed surfaces...

Offline Nicggdepo

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:50:47 AM »
Thank you for your posts! Very interesting!

anything