Author Topic: Drylok -- Water or Oil base version?  (Read 30533 times)

Offline rretter

Drylok -- Water or Oil base version?
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:00:47 PM »
Does anyone have an opinion on when/where to use water-based Drylok as compared to the oil-based variant?

Of course, no clues are available from the manufacturer....as with all marketing blather on paints/primers/sealers/anything-in-cans, there's no hint as to why you should use one variant rather than the other.  Just lots of drivel about how you should use whichever can you're holding because it's just the very bestest thing in the history of the whole wide world, forever and ever, world without end, amen.

Anyone ever try to pick between the Zinsser primers, based only on the labels?  Probably not, given that this is the pros' board, but if so, you'll recognize the phenomenon.

Anyways, if you know the secret, please spill it here.

Okay, maybe a pro painters' board isn't the best place to ask people to spill anything....

Offline Faron79

• PRODUCT REP.
Re: Drylok -- Water or Oil base version?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »
Hey Retter,
Get the Latex version...
The "Normal" Drylock, or the new "Drylock Extreme" (Latex) are very good.
The main item of note is to make sure it's going on CLEANED CEMENT!!
The 1st coat will only go ~100s.f.
>>> Use a "hardcore"-duty brush here!
>>> Brush this coat in. It needs to be worked into the cement pores.
>>> 2nd coat can be rolled.
>>> Leave as is, or paint a color over top once fully dry.

Faron
Hmmmm, people spend $$$$$ on furnishings...
BUT, Oh my God, that paint is $40/gaL!!
It's the most noticeable part of an interior!!

Offline beetlejuice

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:40:34 PM »
Faron is right here. I have used both oil and latex versions and have not noticed much difference. I have not received a call back on either. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, which I assume you are, stick with the latex. Less clean up and if it's your house re-coat every few years for good measure. good luck, beet

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »
I always use the latex version "unless" I feel like getting burning eyes, a headache and loss of orientation in the basement. ;D

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Jared

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 12:09:52 PM »
I am curious, since I rarely use Drylok and I have never used the oil-based version -

Does anyone know of a particular situation where the oil-based would be preferred?  I am trying to understand the practical differences between the 2 formulations.  Aside from the differences in working with the stuff, does one formulation outperform the other in regards to specific long-term performance attributes?

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
Just a guess Jared, but I bet the oil holds back stains better.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Faron79

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 12:50:20 AM »
This is one of those "water moves through concrete easily" approaches...
I wish I could remember the tests I've read!!!

The latex-based version "wicks" its way into the concrete's pores better, expanding slightly when curing.
AGAIN...the bare concrete has to have any dirt & efflouresence removed to have best results.
It only works on walls obviously :(...

I've done other reading on this stuff, and there's not really a scenario where the oil is desired...not really sure why they made it!!! In 5 years, we've never sold any of the oil... :o FWIW!!

Faron 0:>)
Hmmmm, people spend $$$$$ on furnishings...
BUT, Oh my God, that paint is $40/gaL!!
It's the most noticeable part of an interior!!

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 06:15:37 AM »
I've never seen fit to use their oil-base version either (surprise rmichael!!), but I can tell you from extreme circumstances that if you follow the destructions to the letter, including the acid-washing part, that the waterbourne Drylok has never failed me...That being said, does it have to be thick enough to trowel on? :o

As far as Zinsser primers go, if it says Oil Coverstain in big black letters, that's the one I'm buying... ;)

Offline Desy101

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 05:54:07 AM »
I'm new to this issue and you helped me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:57:32 PM by Desy101 »

anything