Author Topic: very thick semi gloss trim paint(Glidden)  (Read 30170 times)

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
very thick semi gloss trim paint(Glidden)
« on: October 25, 2006, 05:18:29 PM »
hello all,

i need some advice on thinning out semi gloss trim paint(Glidden), customer provided it, dries okay, however it's like molasses when applying it, even though I put very little on the 2" angled sash brush, I have a lot of trim left for next week and the windows in the foyer are 14 feet high, any way I need some advice as previously mentioned on thinning out this paint.

how much paint thinner per gallon or half gallon?  :-\

oh, I will take pictures, how do I put them on the forum?

Offline Flawless Finish

Re: very thick semi gloss trim paint(Glidden)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 05:54:40 PM »
Is it the Evermore line? I've worked a lot with that in the past (not recently thought) especially doing trim. I actually like a little thicker paint for trim when putting a semi over a semi. That and I like using a little less stiff brush. When I use a thin paint on trim, I make a mess trying to get it to cover.

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 06:05:21 PM »
yes it is the evermore line, i just need it a little thinner not runny, I did the same trim for my customer's mom using BM(my favorite) and I did not have this problem, semi over semi came out great and no hassles any way it's crusting up so fast I have to use 2 brushes, not at the same time, but alternating  any recommendation's on thinning?

:-\

Vin

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:34:01 PM »
I'd say add it slowly until you get the consistancy your looking for maybe start with a 1/4cup, shake it, see what you have, add more if neccesary.

Jared

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 08:18:03 PM »
I believe the Evermore line is exclusively water based, so...

I'd recommend using Floetrol instead of water for the thinning - you won't sacrifice coverage ability for the thinner consistency.  ;)

(Always shake the Floetrol container vigorously before adding any of it to the paint - and always add small amounts at a time, paying attention to the maximum recommended proportions mentioned on the Floetrol container...  if you add too much, you'll need more paint to balance it out - so better to under-estimate the amount of Floetrol to add, always AVOID over-estimating the amount to add.)

If you are finding that the paint is drying a bit too fast to keep a wet edge, you could also (or instead) use some XIM Latex Extender, which also helps the coating self-level a bit better than without it.  Note that XIM Latex Extender is like water in consistency, and is quite a bit more potent than Floetrol - so much smaller amounts are recommended.  Again, follow the recommendations on the Latex Extender container for mixing proportions.

And remember these are options only for water-based paints - don't add these products to alkyds.  ;)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:30:06 PM »
blackwolf
Break the paint out into two containers before you thin it. Thin one container to a workable level, I'd start with a few ounces (H20) and work up, if at some point you think you have over thinned , add in some paint from the other (un-thinned) container.
If you opt for a conditioner like Floetrol or XIM, add it and test first. You may or may not need to add a small amount of water to tweak the consistency. 
I prefer XIM to Floetrol, JMHO..

Best Luck
rmichael 
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 06:15:24 AM »
Thank You!!

Offline Desy101

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 06:01:23 AM »
Very well written information. Keep up the good work. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:57:00 PM by Desy101 »

anything