Author Topic: Aura paint  (Read 26541 times)

Offline decoman

Re: Aura paint
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 10:04:54 AM »
BM hates that the tints work so well in Muralo, but they do.
 I am starting to use the Ben line when I don't want to use Aura, or when I want to save 20 bucks on the first coat.  I wished it came in matte, but I'm thinking 1/2 flat and 1/2 egg makes matte..

I have used the Ben eggshell and it was nice certainly a cheaper alternative.. I certainly wouldn't want to get into boxing sheens seems like trouble to me :)

The Ben flat is not dead flat tho, same with Natura flat
MAK -
Decoman

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:17 AM »
I get the feeling I mix paints, not only sheens but different products, more than anyone.  Usually for coloring first coats, and I mix primers often. Adding peelstop to a first coat to make it a better primer, and get distance is one of my favorite tricks.  It still gives you the color .
 And to my knowledge, besides overdoing it and loosing to much coverage, it has never caused a problem.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline decoman

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 02:05:24 PM »
yeah I wonder tho at what point when mixing does one product loose its characteristics when blending with other chemicals etc.. or would peel stop not work as well because you are adding such a small amount that it is rendered ineffective..

They do say on most cans to not mix with other products, is there  a real reason behind it?? also when blending products are you voiding any manufacturers warranties??
MAK -
Decoman

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 05:58:19 PM »
I have never needed a mfg warrentee, as far as I'm concerned, they will always put it on painter error, so why bother.
 My combos are by feel, and I get a bit of the characteristics of what i blend ( hey like they do with wine!)
 Not suggesting this to anyone else, just I have found ways to make it work. Not for the timid.
 As I remember right, you thought that only BM extender should go in Aura.  I can tell you from experience that XIM is just as good at extending/ drag reducing, if not better. I add just about the same H2O as extender, and the stipple closes up so better coverage.
 Its all through experimentation to see what works for me.

"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline decoman

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2009, 07:07:25 PM »
I only suggested that because of the voc's that a glycol based extender would add to Aura.. IMO mixing would be  hassle specially if you run short on materials and you don't have your mixture remember :)

Also I have seen colors be off slightly depending on the product...

I agree that paint stores would try and blame contractors for errors but why take that chance.
MAK -
Decoman

Jared

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2009, 10:58:22 PM »
FYI -

XIM does make a "low-voc" extender nowadays.  Tommy Boy sent me (and a few others here) a sample to try out, quite some time ago.  It does seem to be just as effective as the old-school formulation.

And from my experience, I have to say that BM's "Aura Extender" is a total waste of money.  XIM's extenders work noticeably better in Aura.

I've never once seen a color change occur from adding XIM extender to any water-based coating - and I add it to almost every water-based coating I use, including primers.

I was painting in my new restaurant buildout today.  I can't believe how thick the newest BM Regal Int Egg is - it's like painting with pudding.  After working with that, it was really nice to crack open a 5 of Aura Egg and get back to painting with a brush instead of a putty knife.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:01:51 PM by Jared »

Offline decoman

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
Jared,

I was talking about color changes between product lines at BM not adding extender...
MAK -
Decoman

Jared

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 08:48:56 PM »
Gotcha.  That makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification.

Offline jmda

• House Painting
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
I use a lot of Aura and love the way it covers and touches up.  I have had it take three coats on one occasion.  A bright yellow over a dark brownish gray.

anything