Author Topic: Am I being unreasonable? Long...  (Read 21201 times)

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
Am I being unreasonable? Long...
« on: March 05, 2008, 09:58:09 PM »
Have a client who hired her own painter, that's normal.  She got his card off the B. Board at the paint store.  Guy gave her a great price, pretty much is showing up on time and can't complain about the work too much. He painted switchplates on the wall which is just lazy, IMO. They always end up looking like crap, so I had to address that.  He didn't like it.

Here's the biggie tho, he is leaving all his stuff in the client's home each night.  This job started on Monday and will be ten work days, at least.  Painting almost the whole house.  I have always worked with painters who work with a *no-trace* kind of process.  Every night they clean up and move their sh1t out and you really can't tell that the house is being painted.  Not even a brush is left behind.  I've come to expect this.

I walked in this house tonight at 6 pm and he left his ladder set up in the two-story family room.  This is where these people hang and watch TV every night.  There is this giant cart thing that he set up in the kitchen.  It's the size of a regular kitchen island!  This thing holds ALL of his supplies/tools and has a significant foot print in this large, but not huge kitchen. This is stuff I'm used to seeing in painter's vehicles, they go out to their truck and get what they need.  He assembled this cart in her kitchen and he's leaving it there for the duration!  She said he walks out each night with a can of Mountain Dew and that's it.

She offered him an empty bay in her 3-car garage to store his supplies/tools and the use of her laundry sink.  The only thing in the garage is a bucket.  When I heard that she offered him the use of the utility sink in the laundry but instead he washed out all his crap in the bath tub, I had to take a deep breath and control myself.  With her kids, the dog and trying to live as normal as possible in the house for the next two weeks I told her I'd be happy to speak to him about cleaning up each night before he leaves.  She doesn't want me to make him mad.  ::)

Making him mad is about the last thing I give a flip about and being as appalled as I am, I thought it'd be wise to get a check about what would be a reasonable compromise. Or if there even should be a compromise.  I kinda don't think so, but what say you guys?
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Am I being unreasonable? Long...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:12:26 PM »
For me it is unusual that I remove all my stuff during a job. But I always ask for an out of the way place and neatly put it there, and clean up and out of any used family space. It is also not unusual if a job needs extensive furniture moving, and it is a room that is expected to be out of commission during remodeling/painting, to occupy the space for the duration. This is never a used kitchen or even a bedroom that is being used.

I have always found my customers very easy to get along with this way, but it is all how it is done and the consideration made to the client. Sounds like he doesn't get that part.

I am a guest in someones home. I should not act like I own it.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »
Ya I also leave equipment on the job. I ask where the best place would be to do so. I close or dispose of any solvents, plus dirty rags. Never leave a ladder set up...thats just asking for a lawsuit.

Cleaning stuff out in the tub! OMG  ::)

Definitely talk to this painter. Explain that the homeowner is not happy with what he is doing. And tell him how unsafe that is.

BTW tell him not to paint switch plates! If the client wants them painted (  :-X ) at least take them off and paint them so they don't bond to the wall and leave nasty outlines.
I hate painted plates and outlets....

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 11:38:03 PM »
We too set up a shop close to the work area. If its warm out, the garage is ideal. If its too cold, an out-of-the way space inside. But as Brushjockey said above, everything is tidied up at the end of the day, and I wouldn't dream of cleaning anything out in the tub.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:10:06 AM by ProWallGuy »

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:42:37 PM »
Offloading and loading all supplies and equipment each day can add a huge amount of time to the job. I think it is reasonable ( if given permission by the home owner) to leave some tools and supplies in the "work area", of course the area should be squared up at the end of each day. IMO most home owners expect some minor inconveniences.

However, judging from your post this painter seems arrogant and inconsiderate. Being offered a garage bay and a laundry sink would be a dream for most painters.
Read him the "RIOT ACT"...  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »
I wasn't very clear - sorry.  When I referenced no-trace not even a brush left behind, specifically I meant the main living areas.  I do suggest to clients on the front end to think about the painter.  They/he/she will need to use the restroom, have some place to eat, have access to a sink or hose, and some space to work in and from, don't schedule the cleaning lady until the painting is done, etc.

Lots of times the lesser-used dining room/living room combo ends up being the parking spot for supplies/tools or extra garage space, maybe a guest room. I've just always seen an out of the way place used as a staging area and small supplies returned to the vehicle.  So, absolutely, there are designated spaces for painters to leave stuff -- just not smack in the middle of the main living areas!

Trust me, the garage bay and utility sink offered in this house is more than sufficient.  He's simply choosing to leave stuff strewn or stacking it on this cart thing in the middle of the kitchen -- the cart thing bugs me, can ya tell.  I rolled it into her mud room.  It has wheels for corn sakes, why couldn't he do that?

I emailed her and told her that my suggesting some new ways to manage his supplies in client's homes may actually be beneficial to him.  He might get more call-backs if his manners improved.  ;)  I think she is now okay with my mentioning a few areas of improvement -- and I will.  Thanks.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:24:46 AM »
However, judging from your post this painter seems arrogant and inconsiderate. Being offered a garage bay and a laundry sink would be a dream for most painters.
Read him the "RIOT ACT"... 

I agree that a sink to clean up in is a luxury, I generally take brushes,etc home to clean, cleaning in the tub? I don't think so.I also tend to leave supplies neatly stored out of the way somewhere but a ladder left out? Don't think so. Also when leaving a paste machine on the job site, it is covered and left under the table overnight, don't ask me why.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:55:42 AM »
Well funcolors, your retribution will be in the magnanimous referrals you pass along for the guy. Word DOES get around.

I often have the pleasure of having an empty house to work in. A lot of my clientele are "summer people" who are generally in for weekends, giving me the house at my disposal. I still consolodate my gear in a shop area, though.

The liability of leaving a ladder up against a wall, inside or outside, is sheer lunacy. I don't think I need to elaborate.

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »
Also when leaving a paste machine on the job site, it is covered and left under the table overnight, don't ask me why.

I work with one painter who gathers everthing out of the way and covers it with clean drop cloths every night.  It just looks nice  :), plus it tends to keep curious kids and pets out of his stuff.  Outta sight, outta mind.

Vin

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »
The guy is very inconsiderate and unethical, the Mountain Dew and washin stuff out in the tub is just redneck ;D.....

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 12:30:58 PM »
A client of ours told me the story of a crew of painters she hired from "down in the county". While driving in to her job one day they hit a deer, they strapped it across the hood and proceeded to haul it to the job. Small children were present and were, of course, very upset to see a bloody deer flopped across the hood of a station wagon.
Now, if you think that takes inconsiderate behaviour to a new low, well, these Guys started digging...... During their lunch break they hung the deer from a tree limb in her back yard and DRESSED IT OUT... Now THAT is Redneck!!....  ;)  ;D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:53:26 PM »
A buddy of mine told me about a S American crew he worked with that did that to a goat, then cooked lunch!  Just like at home!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 01:04:14 PM »
I worked with a guy way back who used to set up little traps in the customers yard to catch squirrels and chipmunks. Word has it that he made a very tasty stew.  ;D
He didn't last long.  8)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 01:16:54 PM »
I worked with a guy who would put his lunch under the windshield of his truck so it would be "warm" by lunchtime...This was in Scottsdale AZ, midsummer...One day he had some day-old crablegs...By 3:00 the house stank so bad that the homeowner kicked the whole crew out and told us to kindly leave him behind the next day...There was NO question who was causing the aroma...

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 06:06:53 PM »
Painters 101:  keep main area of house clear when done painting for the day!!  ::)

someone needs remedial training in apprentice basis :D

anything