Author Topic: Am I being unreasonable? Long...  (Read 21197 times)

Offline beetlejuice

Re: Am I being unreasonable? Long...
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »
unixaptable

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 07:39:26 PM »
We always keep clean up the work area at the end of the day, especially if there are small children & pets around.  :)

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
Funcolors,

I share your frustration and offer you my hugs. It can be tough for people like you who have such high standards of professionalism.

Last week my crew installed a very expensive ProVia double entry door in a house. The total ticket was $9,750.00. A big deal to the owner!

When I arrived today to do the final inspection and take a picture for our portfolio I noticed the tile setters using the door, which was marked with a red sticker, "contractors must use garage entrance".

I asked the worker why he was using the door against the owner's request. His reason was, it was too far to walk around and a smart ass remark like, "it's a door man, it's meant to be used."

I took several pictures of the door and one that captured the two of them exiting through the new door. That put a stop to that parade!

Take some pictures of his mess and tell him to use them in his presentation portfolio.

Michael

When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 05:15:15 PM »
I always allow for a little time to tidy everything up into an out of the way place at the end of the day. I have a guy that works with me sometimes and he refuses to leaving ANYTHING on the job overnight. The amount of time it takes him to load and unload and go back and forth throughout the day really makes me mad. I am kind of OCD about efficiency and this stresses me out.
As for talking to this guy...I suggest not going in there with much of an attitude. LIke others have mentioned it sounds like this guy is arrogant and my be a little head strong so I would try to be delicate but with authority (if that is possible or even makes any sense). I am about the easiest guy to get along with but I know that when a decorator comes in trying to tell me how to do the job that I have been doing for 17 years I don't always feel like taking her out for dinner and a movie. I'm not saying this is what you would be doing but some painters (as well as other tradesmen) I know of will get super upset or even pack up and walk from a job when they feel the slightest amount of their precious pride being hurt. good luck.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 08:09:46 PM »
Very good point Paul, Painters can be temperamental when confronted by anyone they consider not to be their peer.... Make your point but it wouldn't hurt to throw in a compliment or two about the work ( if you can )....  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »
Are you guys implying that a good book on tradesman humility wouldn't be a best seller? ;D

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 09:22:31 PM »
The following will only make sense if you've seen the movie The Big Lebowski  ;)

There is this giant cart thing that he set up in the kitchen...

It's the size of a regular kitchen island!

She said he walks out each night with a can of Mountain Dew and that's it.

She offered him an empty bay in her 3-car garage to store his supplies/tools and the use of her laundry sink.  The only thing in the garage is a bucket.  When I heard that she offered him the use of the utility sink in the laundry but instead he washed out all his crap in the bath tub...

Well, im, a little, tired right now, man.  U(?

;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:32:33 PM by Chip McCheckellson »
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

Offline MacPainter

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 12:28:24 AM »
i would never ever EVER consider leaving a ladder out unless its a rental or something and no one is living there at the time, and even then thats only inside. if it was an extension ladder on a dropcloth over hardwood, it comes down regardless. like others have said its a lawsuit waiting to happen. painting over plates infuriates me. its just a thing, i dont know. of course, you gotta do it if the last knuckle-head did it too. id want to set this guy straight and tell him the score. painting is too often regarded with too much simplicity, but i like to think of it as a craft just as much as carpentry. you wouldnt be fine if a carpenter who was supposed to put crown molding up decided to put a table saw in your kitchen either, im sure. this just comes down to the guy being unprofessional, and bad behavior should not be encouraged by letting him continue it. not only is it better for you, but in the long run you are hopefully letting him learn what he is doing wrong and how to please future customers.

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 03:42:27 PM »
I got a look at the contract.  He's cheap.  Guys, that's it in a nutshell if ya ask me.  She is totally getting what she paid for.  Ben Moore Super Spec flat ta boot.  Gawd, I hate that stuff.  For some reason it is splattering everywhere in this house.  The finish is ugly, nothing chic or pretty about it.  It does cover well in two coats in most colors, gotta give it that.

It's going to be a long week.  I talked to him.  He doesn't get it.  If he "got it" he'd know how to develop a service and price it accordingly.  He's not a craftsman, he's not a painter, he's hired labor.  I had to grab plastic this morning and cover the flat screen TV - he wasn't going to cover the $$$ TV using that !@#$ Super Spec that splatters.  What a chucklehead.

I completed a punch list for him.  I have NEVER done this before.  Ever.  Spots of paint on the kitchen tile around his "work area" a.k.a. the goofy cart.  Didn't take the globes off the bathroom lights and they got dinged with paint that needs cleaned up, patched walls and didn't clean up the dust so it sat there all weekend to get kicked up and distributed all over the whole room.  I could go on.

I removed the switchplates last week.  He did go back and touch up behind the plates, course I had to put the plates back on the wall 'cuz he left them sitting there.   ::)
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
Sorry to here about this Funcolors, and you're in the middle looking out for your client.  Good on you, and the client is getting an education on what makes a quality painter....the hard way.

Good luck with all of that!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 06:09:50 PM »
Are you guys implying that a good book on tradesman humility wouldn't be a best seller? ;D

Michael

"Tradesman" & "humility" ..... Now, That's a contradiction of terms.....   8)  ;D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 06:38:39 PM »
that's a bummer;  sure wish she would have known a little more before she signed on the "dotted line".  As a homeowner,  they should have stepped up to the plate and said "enough is enough" .

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
Wow, that guy needs to sell his tools and find another job.  Did I miss something, I mean how come you haven't been asked to take over and finish the job?

I too leave things on a jobsite if it is going to be more than one day, unless I am using very few of my tools.  Most often I have multiple buckets and cut pots, drop clothes, etc.  It can take a half hour to 45 minutes from the time you pull up on the jobsite until you're actually working, and cleanup can take an hour easily sometimes.  That's a lot of time that isn't going towards progression of the job.  I always check with the homeowner on the best place to store things overnight if possible, as well as the best place to clean up tools.  If they don't have a utility sink in the laundry room or garage they usually tell me to use the kitchen sink.  During the warmer weather I use the hose outside.

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
Did I miss something, I mean how come you haven't been asked to take over and finish the job?

I'm not a painter.  Never have been, never will be.  I specifiy color for inter/exter, residential, commercial and some industrial and am a color consultant to other design professionals.  Don't do much with graphic design/packaging any more.

Approx. 60% of my clients DIY and the remaining 40 hire usually with my help and referrals, but not always.

This job finished.  Thank heaveans.  Needless to say, I won't be referring this guy any time soon and I kinda hope he loses my number.  ::)
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 12:15:25 AM »
Yeah I missed something, lol.  At least you can save other homeowners from his wrath from now on!