Author Topic: Flotrol  (Read 32409 times)

Offline ToolTime

Flotrol
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »
Anyone have much experience using it. Does it help cut down on brush marks on trim and doors using latex semi?

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
Re: Flotrol
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:06:17 PM »
Flotrol will help but Xim Latex extender is much better product. IMO. If Flotrol sits in the bottle very long after it is open it will start to clump & has to be strained.

Lynjo
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:16:46 PM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline RTQ

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »
Floetrol will help your paint lay down a bit better but I agree with Lynjo that XIM makes a better product. XIM may be a little harder to find but is worth it IMO. Also, I would say that using a high quality brush will have a huge impact on the finish. 

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:27:32 PM »
I second that motion Lyn & RTQ  ..  :)

The XIM is very thin ( like water ) and requires a smaller amount (to volume) than Floetrol. I have also noticed much more (dry) paint film shrinkage with Floetrol.  JMHO.. 
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »
I've used a lot of Floetrol, lots of Penetrol, but never the XIM. I just can't seem to find it around here.

I tried some Porter wet edge extender a couple of years ago. Based on that experience (wound up throwing out a whole gallon of enamel), I can't recomend it...

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »
When does paint really need any additives?

Do y'all use them with discretion or on a regular basis?

I don't experience any problems getting a smooth, porcelain finish when using straight Pro Classic, Impervo or Muralo products. Unless it's 95 degrees, and today it's not!

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »
Because I brush and not spray, XIM is like grease for the brush. Faster , smoother, and because it thins it a bit I have less tendency to sag ( counter intuitive, but true)
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline TomTom

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »
On cans of paint it sometimes suggests using water to thin the paint if necessary, which I have done. What difference is there between using water and using Flotrol or the XIM product?

Jared

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
Flotrol & XIM generally don't negatively affect coverage (hide) like water does.  Also, XIM gives the added benefit of causing the paint film to level & flow better.

Flotrol is a paint conditioner - so it allows for better viscosity of the coating during application, and it also helps extend shelf life of leftover paint.  XIM, on the other hand, is a flow & levelling agent - so its primary function is to allow the paint film to level out once it is applied to the substrate.

Personally, I use XIM in nearly every waterborne coating I apply.  There are a few exceptions (like Aura) where IMO it is not necessary to achieve exceptional results...  this is where the judgement call comes in.  If you know you can achieve a nice, smooth, level paint film with a particular product, then it shouldn't be necessary to use an additive.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »
I never used Flotrol or Penetrol until about a year and a half ago. If I ever needed to thin my Impervo I would use thinner and thought that Penetrol would probably just be another product that I really didn't need. Once I tried it though I was hooked. I brush a LOT of Impervo and I could definately tell the difference. It really helps it to lay down and increases the workability (especially in whites). I use it everytime now. As for flotrol I haven't really been able to tell much of a difference but I haven't used it much. I have noticed that it does clump like others have mentioned. I keep a bottle in my truck but it doesn't see the light of day much.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 08:26:49 PM »
tallpaul
Careful with the penetrol in white. It may cause it to yellow faster. If you use to much it may turn on you as fast as 30 days.   :) Xim extender is non yellowing & serves the same purpose.

Lynjo
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:37:34 PM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »
Because I brush and not spray, XIM is like grease for the brush. Faster , smoother, and because it thins it a bit I have less tendency to sag ( counter intuitive, but true)

IME that is very true Brush, Thick unworkable paint causes sags and brush strokes... over thinned paint lacks fullness and causes runs...
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline ToolTime

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 11:30:56 PM »
XIM seems to be the winner by most here. Where are places most likely to carry it?

Thanks

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »
We usually purchase it at our local ICI store. It should be available at most paint stores. If not ask if they can get for you. If there is enough demand they should start stocking it. I have not seen it in the big box stores yet.

Lynjo
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:04:32 AM by Lynjowoman »
Charlotte Whitton

Offline ToolTime

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 12:10:59 AM »
Thanks Lynjowoman, I'll check my local Ben Moore and Sherwin next week. I have a repaint job where they do not want to pay for me to spray their doors but I still want to give them the best latex brush job I can.