Author Topic: Catoragizing proposals  (Read 8244 times)

Vin

Catoragizing proposals
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:14:01 PM »
I want to be really thorough and not miss anything on my proposals want them to look professionally done and complete NO QUESTIONS LEFT UNDONE :P

So as Rmichael told me once I want to give the Scope of the task at hand,

#1. # of coats

#2. prep details

#3. time frames?

??
?

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Catoragizing proposals
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:20:46 PM »
Hi Vin,

Be sure to mention that the work will be completed in a professional manner that meets or exceeds the Industry standard. Also if you are working off a progress draw include the down payment ( in percentage or dollar figure ) and a schedule of payments ( first week, second week, etc. ). If there are any special circumstances/problems  note them ( excessive prep, excessive patching, skimming, etc. ). list you time frame as a estimate,... cause stuff happens...  ;)

rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:59:33 PM »
I will do all you mentioned also going to add that clause: " Any additional work added will require an approved work change order first by me and fee's "  ;)

I just did a bid today wait till you see this list of things they want done its a full page, there putting there house on the market and just want a cheap face lift in a few spots thats going to run them about  $2,000 and they agreed i'll post the list later, I want the proposal signed and the contract on this one I use 2 separate documents I know a lot of guys just go with a proposal but I dont think thats a good idea.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »
Vin,

You can consolidate the proposal into a contract, simply change the heading of the document to "Proposal/Contract". It will be a 'Proposal" until it is signed by the client... then it is a "Contract" ..  ;)

Best of Luck with the Bid,

rmichael

Vin

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 10:40:59 PM »
Ah I wondered if i could do that , I like that idea.

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 11:20:11 PM »
may want to add your touch-up fee just in case (but not limited to) they hire a cleaning company to get the place all spiffy prior to hanging the 'for sale' sign  ...  those black plastic corner vacuum nozzles leave nasty lines if used on painted base etc....

i'm now charging $50 an hour for touch-ups.. mostly for new work/renovation jobs  .....  plus a public flogging of the culprits by one of BrushJockey's marauding visigoths....

its justa thought.......

Be Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline Rick Anderson

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:25:20 PM »
#1. # of coats

Vin

What happens when you tell Mrs Jones it will take two cts to cover somethig (lets say: "the bedroom") and after you land the contract and start work you realize after two applications it will in fact take three coats.   

What do you do then?

Regards
Rick
www.vancouversbestpainters.com
www.vancouverindustrialpainting.com
www.604painters.com

Vin

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:32:15 PM »
Good John I will add that in also.

Rick I am not stating how many coats on the proposal #1 I know pretty much that one room will definetly require 2 coats due to dark color the other rooms will only require one coat since we're going with the same colors. I pretty much agreed to do this for a certain price and I will stand by that price how ever many coats it takes but all walls are flat which covers easily anyhow, the front doors will be red and will require 2 coats at least since we're going to do a color change there, not to worried about the coatings, it will take what it takes.

Offline Rick Anderson

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 11:35:29 PM »
it will take what it takes.

Vin

Agreed.  Do you tell the customer that they need not concern themselves with the number of coats?

Regards
Rick
www.vancouversbestpainters.com
www.vancouverindustrialpainting.com
www.604painters.com

Vin

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:51:03 PM »
I'm buying the paint they need not worry pretty much told them i'll get it done whatever it takes and thats what they wanted to hear, they hired me on the spot  ;D

This is sorta a different situation since they dont want the whole exterior painted ( though it needs it only power washing and doing touch ups outside ) nor the interior its just a face lift before they put the house up for sale and they don't want to spend $6,000 which is what I would have charge to do both inside and out side.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 12:21:26 AM »
#1. # of coats

Vin

What happens when you tell Mrs Jones it will take two cts to cover somethig (lets say: "the bedroom") and after you land the contract and start work you realize after two applications it will in fact take three coats.   

What do you do then?
Good point of showing the devil in the details,
If the contract states "two coats" then the contract price is relative and obligated to only two coats. For contracts that  specify "paint to fullness" additional coats may be required (contractually) until industry accepted "fullness" is achieved.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:29:58 AM by rmichael »

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »
Structuring the proposal in job sequence is a big help to keep it orderly and precise.

For example, you wouldn't begin with number of coats before you have covered property protection measures and preparation procedures.

A good proposal will also address color choices, sheen choices and paint brands. I like to break those down by room or area.

Mode of payment (don't forget that part)..:)

In my business, we even cover parking, use of facilities, start and quit times, weekends (yes or no), etc.

Keep in mind, the proposal is not designed to just keep you protected, it's also used to provide a clear scope of work for the one who is paying you.

Michael

When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Vin

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 10:49:25 PM »
Thanks Michael YES I want to be thorough and comprehensive, a guideline to go by each time I do a proposal,  you guys all helped out a lot.

My clients are signing tomorrow  ;D they are very happy with what I gave them .

anything