Author Topic: XIM Peel Bond Application  (Read 10681 times)

Offline Downunder Dave

• Professional Painter, Auckland, New Zealand
XIM Peel Bond Application
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:42:28 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has advice about brush/pad application of XIM Peel bond for detail work. I have been told the use of a paint pad works best? If using a brush what kind of brush works best for you? Used as a timber spot primer, does the film thickness need to be built up for the product to perform properly, or can it be applied more thinly in one application a bit like paint.
Painter/Decorator, Auckland, New Zealand.

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
Re: XIM Peel Bond Application
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:58:59 PM »
Peel Bond is a very high build product.  You can put it on thin and brush it in with a nylon brush if sealing/priming is your only concern. 10 mils dries to 3.25 mils which is only slightly  more thick than a thick latex paint.  If you want the building properties you can add a second coat or put on up to 30 mils in 1 coat. To get 30 wet mils in one coat you need to slop it on and then spread like icing a cake. For that application a paint pad works well. E-mail me if you have any other questions about Peel Bond.
"Peel Bond, a different way to paint"

Offline Downunder Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 01:16:18 PM »
Thanks for your extremely prompt reply Tommy Boy. In New Zealand we use the metric system. When you refer to "mils" do you mean microns or millimetres. 30mm=1.2 inches, which can't be right?

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
Uh, forgot about the Kiwi thing. 30 mils is 30/1000 of an inch. I've got the metric translation somewhere back at my office. I let you know tomorrow.

Since I'm XIM's Marketing Manager, I'm curious as to what you think of Peel Bond. It hasn't available in NZ until about a year ago.

Offline Billy The Painter

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
WHERE CAN I GET XIM IN MICHIGAN 49461?

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 07:01:22 AM »
XIM is virtually unknown in these parts. Tommy B., I hate to say it, but you guys might start thinking about a mailorder service... ;)

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »
DMMcleod, 30mils WFT is 750 Microns.

Billy the Painter- SW in Muskegon should have Latex XT in stock. Other independents can get our product through Allpro or other buying groups

Offline GreenMtnPainter

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 10:57:48 AM »
I think Sherwin Williams should be able to get it for you anywhere around the country.  Peelbond was unheard of around here too until I requested it at my local SW.  Now they have pallets of it shipped up for me and I use every drop (in the summer).

correct me if im wrong tommy, but thats what worked for me!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:08:53 AM by GreenMtnPainter »

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »
We here, 50 miles from Fargo ND, don't have a SW. We have a bare-bones Benny Moore and a local store called Color-Tech, whose paint lines tend to change, right now being Pittsburgh. They stock a very small selection of XIM products, but not what I have ever needed. If they have to order something for me, it's usually too late already...

Offline Downunder Dave

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 12:28:54 PM »
Uh, forgot about the Kiwi thing. 30 mils is 30/1000 of an inch. I've got the metric translation somewhere back at my office. I let you know tomorrow.

Since I'm XIM's Marketing Manager, I'm curious as to what you think of Peel Bond. It hasn't available in NZ until about a year ago.

I just bought a gallon tin and used it yesterday as a trial before I use it on a larger job. The marketing company here is pushing it and I can see it being a great product. NZ has some old properties and one of the highest sun UV ratings in the world, meaning our paint is breaking down faster than anywhere.

We have lead in our old coatings so avoiding releasing this into the environment by using Peel Bond will be good. Also it looks like Peel Bond could be used in some cases where a complete paint strip off is needed.

My application brush trial went ok, however I can see why spraying would be preferrable. I have an airless, though could you use an HVLP/pot gun or what is the narrowest airless tip you can use? The project I plan to use it on has isolated areas which I plan to use it on as a high build spot primer on weatherboards(siding). Also plan to prime/undercoat windows with it.

Offline Downunder Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:49 PM »
DMMcleod, 30mils WFT is 750 Microns.

Thanks Tommy Boy. That sounds better. Still, a very thick coating...and you say it would not sag on a vertical surface at this build.

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »
DM, it doesn't start to sag on vertical surfaces until the film thickness gets to about 1250 microns. We only recommend 750 microns max because you can start to get mud cracking when you exceed 750 microns in 1 coat.

Spray application is the best method for application to control the thickness.  AN HVLP sprayer might work but an airless sprayer works best with a 517 tip and 1200PSI air pressure.

Best practice to get the absolute best build and penetration is to spray 1 10 mil(250microns) coat followed by a 20 mil (500microns) an hour later.  The resulting dry film thickness will be a little bit better than 10 mils (250 microns.)

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 01:48:19 PM »
Downunder Dave: Check out the new Peel Bond video which shows application at  www.peelbond.com

Offline mjay

• Restorations
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 11:52:26 PM »

Since your there marketing manager have a word with the web people and provide an option to turn off that annoying music.

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 08:41:33 AM »
I agree. Working on having button to turn it off this week. Thanks for the feedback.