Poll

Do Painters Drink More Than Other Trades And Professions?

Absolutely, maybe there are no studies but everyone 'knows' it.
3 (15%)
Hard to tell, my hunch is probably, cept for maybe roofers and movers
3 (15%)
No they dont, everyone is the same
14 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Painters And Alcohol  (Read 58537 times)

Offline Rick Anderson

Painters And Alcohol
« on: March 21, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
Saw this question on the faq and spit out my coca cola through my nose when I read that painters (allegedly) drink no more than the other professions.

the PAINTSMITH

Re: Painters And Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »
...painters (allegedly) drink no more than the other professions.

We work more than the other trades....For obvious reasons...

attributing alcohol use is being suckered into a stereotype. We just had a surgeon in the area arrested for trying to ply his craft with his blood alcohol level at 0.32...Does that condemn all surgeons?

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:55:24 PM »
Working in a hospital for 10yrs. it was nothing to see Doctors come in on weekends or the evening shift snookered. Drive by any of the Country Clubs, Yatch Clubs, etc. And see who comes out stagering. I bet it isn't painters. White collars can just cover it up better.  ::)

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »
Lynjo, I've worked with over a hundred painters in my career, likely more than that. I've known a fraction of those who drank excessively, after work. Never did I work with someone who drank on the job, and this is after 20-odd years in the trade. I saw no preponderance of alcoholics in the painting trade like I have in others (like the medical profession, or worse the local Air-Guard).

...And I've worked side-by-side with alcoholics who, by virtue of having an ETHIC, never drank on the job.

Yeah, lets perpetuate a myth... ::) This thread stradles the cusp of idiocy for it's insinuation...

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
I agree with you Eric. 100%  I guess some people have nothing better to do.  ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »
I do not drink. My partner does not drink. and only one of my workers drinks. but heroin, thats another story!  ;D ;) ::) 0)-(0
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:43:41 PM by Bauer »

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »
I also think some of the stereotype really comes from old sealerheads.  Who needs a drink with the good old chems that used to be the stock and trade of painting.  I got pulled over once for driving under the influence of epoxy!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Rick Anderson

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 07:50:07 PM »
Lynjo, I've worked with over a hundred painters in my career, likely more than that. I've known a fraction of those who drank excessively, after work. Never did I work with someone who drank on the job, and this is after 20-odd years in the trade. I saw no preponderance of alcoholics in the painting trade like I have in others (like the medical profession, or worse the local Air-Guard).

...And I've worked side-by-side with alcoholics who, by virtue of having an ETHIC, never drank on the job.

Yeah, lets perpetuate a myth... ::) This thread stradles the cusp of idiocy for it's insinuation...

Paintsmith

I'm not insinuating anything; I'm coming straight out and saying that painters drink a lot more on average than any other profession.  Thats been *my* experience over the last 28 yrs.   Could just be that Canadians like their beer more.

http://www.gannett.com/go/difference/greatfalls/pages/part2/survey.html  gives us a bit of a clue

Regards
Rick
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:01:50 PM by Rick Anderson »

Offline TomTom

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »
painters drink a lot more on average than any other profession.

It may also be that you've spent more time with painters than any other profession. It's a stereotype and nothing else. Quite absurd to suggest painters drink more than any other profession. I spent ten years as a bicycle messenger in Boston and San Francisco and I can assure you that the messengers will outdrink any painters I've ever known, and I've known a lot. I've read something along the lines of what BrushJockey suggested and that is in the past many painters at the end of a work day would be so fried from chemical fumes that people just assumed they were drunk. Maybe it's true maybe not, and though it is fair to say some painters do drink but it doesn't mean they all do. Just as one painter may spend a disproportionate amount of his time posting to a particular web site doesn't mean every other painter does. Right?

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 09:03:49 PM »
I'm coming straight out and saying that painters drink a lot more on average than any other profession.

I don't care what you're "coming straight out and saying". It's perpetuation of a FALSE stereotype and a lie. Kindly live with with your addiction without sucking the rest of us into it.

Offline Rick Anderson

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »
I'm coming straight out and saying that painters drink a lot more on average than any other profession.

I don't care what you're "coming straight out and saying". It's perpetuation of a FALSE stereotype and a lie. Kindly live with with your addiction without sucking the rest of us into it.

Paintsmith

Like I said;  it's been *my* experience.  btw...I don't have any addictions except for maybe watching the Apprentice.

Best
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:30:42 PM by Rick Anderson »

Offline Rick Anderson

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »
painters drink a lot more on average than any other profession.
and though it is fair to say some painters do drink but it doesn't mean they all do. Just as one painter may spend a disproportionate amount of his time posting to a particular web site doesn't mean every other painter does. Right?

TomTom

No one is suggesting an absolute rule; we're talking about percentages in relation to...... 

and you're right about your hypothetical "painter"

Best
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:28:58 PM by Rick Anderson »

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »
I've always wondered why the can openers had a bottle opener on the other end. I've never opened a bottle with it on a job site, thats for sure. Thank God Crown Royal comes with a screw-on cap.  8)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »
I think the FAQ (referenced in the OP) from our host site has it right..

There is probably no higher a percentage of alcoholics in the painting trade than any other trade or profession. The reputation is rooted in the past when all paint was solvent based. Painters were often seen red faced with swollen eyes from the paint solvents and perhaps a bit unstable from the fumes.

but those damn plumbers... don't get me started...  :D ;D ;D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Rick Anderson

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 10:50:11 PM »
I think the FAQ (referenced in the OP) from our host site has it right..

There is probably no higher a percentage of alcoholics in the painting trade than any other trade or profession. The reputation is rooted in the past when all paint was solvent based. Painters were often seen red faced with swollen eyes from the paint solvents and perhaps a bit unstable from the fumes.

but those damn plumbers... don't get me started...  :D ;D ;D

Let's not forget either....chambermaids dont drink  (because they're humble Filipinas)....so technically the above hypothesis is incorrect.

8)

Best

anything