Author Topic: Advice on Airless sprayer  (Read 18806 times)

Offline STom

Advice on Airless sprayer
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
Hello all,

I'm new to this board, and have done quite a bit of research into the topic of airless sprayers.  A bit about myself, my friend and I have been painting for the last 6 months or so with just a brush and roller, and with two very large jobs coming up (at least 1,500 sq feet each), it's time for an airless sprayer.

I understand the Titan 440i is the supreme airless sprayer.  I don't doubt it from everything I've read about it.  However, I need to be a bit more practical as we are not quite at the point where we can afford it.

I've seen some very interesting products at Lowes and at Home Depot.  I understand the Magnum's and Spray Techs are inferior to the Titans.  But can someone with practical experience with the Spray Techs or Magnums tell me how well their products work?  Am I in for a total disappointment, or will they service me well until I can afford the jump to a Titan 440i?  I am considering purchasing the Magnum DX or the Spray Tech 1420.

I'd also appreciate any advice on preparation and cleanup.  I'm a very handy guy who knows his way around a wrench.  Is airless spraying a relatively easy to learn vocation?

Thanks,

Tom

Jared

Re: Advice on Airless sprayer
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »
Tom -

I recommend against the Magnum paint sprayers.  Most models are not user servicable, making maintenance a lot more expensive as one must replace whole components instead of individual parts.

Vin has owned a SprayTech 1420 for a while now and he really likes it.  I have never used one, but at their current pricing I have to admit that I am tempted to pick one up.  Currently I use a Graco Ultimate 395 when I have to spray, and I absolutely love it - it can take more abuse and mishandling than any other rig I've ever worked with (it belongs to my boss, a GC, and his guys tend to really abuse the rig).  The only issue with the Graco is that it is quite heavy and somewhat awkward to move around once it is running, especially going up stairs.

Offline STom

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »
I just came back from a trip to the Ho and Lowes, and just the visual impression I get indicates the Spray Tech 1420 is indeed a better designed and quality product.  They're about the same price (~$300), so if I bite the bullet, I'll go with the Spray Tech.

I did read Vin's post on the 1420 and his experience is very encouraging.  With a massive job coming up this weekend, perhaps I'll write a review on our work.

Offline lgarner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:17:53 PM »
I've had a magnum dx for a couple of years, and haven't had a problem. I have needed anything bigger than that. Also, I hate to admit it.  I abuse the hell out of it. It keeps going. But I have never used a spraytech.

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 04:34:19 AM »
One thing i like to do to make clean up faster is use only the gun filter, so when cleaning, ill run water through it just till it starts coming clean, them immediately stop and clean the gun filter, after that, im basically done after a little more water. This is on Graco 390, i dunno if you can do that on the 1420.

I used a Spraytech with a similiar output to the 390, seemed fine performance wise.
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

Vin

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »
The Magnum XR5 puts out 300 more PSI if I was doing exterior I would prefer that extra pressure, the spraytech 1420 pressure is pretty low @2700 but good for interior paints that is all I have used it for I use my Graco ultra 395 for that.

Spraytech is real easy cleanup only one filter in gun but that does cause extra cloggings. I notice the magnum has a hose bib so you can run a hose right to the rig for cleaning that might be a nice feature dont know never had one like that and it has the extra filter to prevent clogging and theres a few more features that are good with the magnum.

BUT the spraytech is over $100 cheaper and for the moeny I would go with spraytech its been a good machine but hey maybe I got a lucky go getter machine ;D she just keeps going and going and goinggggg

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 06:45:01 AM »
Hmmm, Graco seems to have fallen from grace? Still my first choice...

Offline 98mustangguy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 11:04:54 PM »
Ok when me and my brother first started we went cheapo as that was what we could afford. We picked up a Graco magnum dx and a wagner 9140 which is the same as the spraytech. I can tell you from personal experiencethat the magnum sprays much nice, it holds line pressure way better than the wagner/spraytech, has the garden hose attachement at the end making cleaning the unit much much much easier just hook up garden hose and let it go versus filling up buckets with water and continually refilling bucket trying to get the wagner spraytech clean, the magnum runs much quieter not that either is really loud but the graco is very noticably quieter. the 4 leg stand on the graco is nicer than the ofset with s shaped hose on the sprayetch. both guns suck the magnum lasted about 6 job the spraytech 4 replaced the guns with a titan lx-80 and a spraytech gx-10. both replacement guns are nice though i liked the gx-10 more and would recommend buying a gun/hose extension upgrade kit. i have run 100 foot of hose on both with latex and no problems. we painted about 25 house ranging anywhere from 1600-5000 sq ft floor space our first year and both sprayers ran just fine at the end never had either one break or give me any trouble other than the guns. anyways we made enough money and gave away though sprayers to some friends and upgraded to a titan 660ix and a graco 495 both of which are nicer. all in all i would recommend highly to go with the graco magnum dx as it is a nice little sprayer until you can afford to upgrade you should easily get enough use out of it to afford another rig and keep it as a back up.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 11:14:12 AM »
My Graco 695 was built in 1998 or thereabouts, has failed me only once--When I inadvertantly put BM MooreGlo through it before I realized what high maintenance hybrids can make of your machine. It gets repacked every year, whether it needs it or not...

Before the 695 I used several gas jobs, mostly Graco but a Titan and SpeeFlo or two as well...I like the electrics much better...

But I'd personally take a Graco over anyone else's pump...

Offline Harmonpa

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
When your cleaning up the unit flush the fluid section with the prime valve on and then flush out to the airless spray gun.  This will help cut down on cleaning time compared to cleaning out to the gun without using the prime mode first.

How to use an airless sprayer may also help.

Offline Reidciga

Advice on Airless sprayer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 03:19:33 AM »
Earlier I thought differently, many thanks for the information.
I recommend using this forex trading system for reliable trading

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
Useful thread.
John Reider Properties