Author Topic: Removing old Paint  (Read 10877 times)

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
Removing old Paint
« on: January 22, 2006, 12:16:37 PM »
I've been reading over all the posts on this message board,  and some of them are very informative, but I haven't seen anyone talk about mechanical paint removal.  Over the summer I had a job where the customer wanted just the front of their house above the porch stripped down and repainted.  I did some research on two paint removers, "Paint Shaver Pro" and the "Metabo, paint shaver".  Unfortunately I went with the Metabo.  It was half the price and from some of the reviews it sounded like it could do the job.  Much to my dismay I found it not to work so great, the base was so big it didn't really allow it to sit flat enough to remove any paint.  If you tilted the tool in such a way as to expose the blades you could get it to a point where it would work "somewhat".  Plus it had these little flaps and one broke off and sent pieces of paint and wood flying all over.  It had a vacuum hookup, which worked very well until the flap broke off.  The actual electric part of the tool was awesome, it never skipped a beat, but it was the stripping attachment that was much to be desired.  Now I've never used a chemical stripper on such a large scale project(not that it was huge) but I was wondering if anyone out there has used both and could give me an honest opinion on what they think.  Or any experience with the "Paint Shaver Pro".
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com

the PAINTSMITH

Re:Removing old Paint
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 10:17:51 AM »
Man, wish I could be more helpful...The only mechanical strippers I've used were a full size Milwaukie grinder with a grit pad and, a couple years ago, a customer supplied the dang thing, and I don't remember if it was a Porter-Cable or DeWalt or what, but it was a grinder/stripper with a diamond faced wheel and a depth jig...Yeah, it worked too...WAY too well. After taking down about 70 years worth of paint on a lake cottage, then sanding and evening the white pine siding (VERY hard wood), the homeowner wound up replacing every stick...Yeah, I still got paid, but vowed that I'd never let myself get talked into mechanical stripping again...

...Oh, and I've also used heat guns, great for small areas, but on a large scale you're looking at some time-sucking...

Good luck

*edit*--Here's the stripper we used...36-grit wheel will do some damage, I tell ya!
http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/por74powpain.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 10:21:00 AM by the PAINTSMITH »

josh

Re:Removing old Paint
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 11:28:44 PM »
I will tell you my experience removing old Paint- Stain .  
I once had to deal with a railing  where we need to  get rid of alll existent paint, We Sand blasted It  and It worked  out as planned! You need to protect rest of  surfaces with a vinyl - plastic film and get a bunch of  those protetective glases.
There is another tool that I love and It 's called the power brush..
Great to remove old stain   or cleaning up wood pillars,etc.
The wire brush  is an accesory  quite expensive but worth the  $ 150  then you will need the  a   1- 2 - 3 speed ( sort of grinder)
This kind of jobs are time consumming and if someone want to go after them you need to charge for that labor. As far quimical stripper they might work if paint is pelling already , other wise you need to apply one  time and another.