Author Topic: Does BM's Aura really cover in one coat?!?  (Read 31719 times)

Jared

Does BM's Aura really cover in one coat?!?
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:18:57 PM »
Here's an accent wall I just painted today.  Existing paint was an off-the-shelf white semi-gloss, applied some 7 or 8 years ago (not by me).  Was in relatively good condition, prep was just a quick cleaning.

I applied one coat of Zin 1-2-3 - UNTINTED, to really show Aura's coverage abilities.

The chocolate brown color being applied is Dunn Edwards "Graham Cracker", the paint is Aura Matte in Base 2.  This is one of the darker shades achievable with the base 2, or so I'm told.

(DEAD LINKS REMOVED)

So, in my opinion - YES, Aura does cover in one coat, in most color situations - given the painter is observant enough to adapt their technique to meet the attributes of the coating.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:13:02 PM by Jared »

Jared

Re: Does BM's Aura really cover in one coat?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »
And here's the same wall from the other angle, showing the freshly-accented door.  The door had been installed, primed (untinted) & painted (1 coat Aura matte) during the remodel a year back, and that's as far as we got into this room.

Today, after painting the accent wall, I added the accents on the door (1 coat Aura matte, no primer).  Got about 20-something more of those to go.  ;)

(DEAD LINKS REMOVED)

I'd like to show y'all more pics of the interior of this house - I worked on the crew that remodeled the other half of the house, about a year ago.  My boss (the GC who ran the remodel) had me handle the majority of the finish work, including all the painting.  Aura matte was used throughout the entire interior, in the same 2 colors (BM OC33 "Opaline" and D-E "Graham Cracker").  It really is a beautiful remodel.  I already have pics, I just have to get permission from the client...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:13:25 PM by Jared »

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »
Matte on doors....   Something just doesn't feel right about that.   

Even in Aura, I'll be curious to know in the longer term how that holds up.  But looks great now!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Jared

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:24:11 PM »
I agree on that one, 100%.  But the client insisted on a flat finish on all interior doors and trim, and there was no convincing them otherwise.  That being the case, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to test BM's claim of "any finish, anywhere"...

and FYI, that door was initially painted one year ago with Aura matte in the lighter color, all I did today was add the darker accent.  They've got 8 closet doors and a total of 6 interior doors in this part of the house, all just like the one in the pic above.  All of these were installed, primed & painted one year ago.  Not that one year is any kind of test, we've only scratched the surface of a real time test - but I have to say, so far, I was surprised to see how clean they are, after a year of use even I can't tell they were not painted yesterday.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:27:46 PM »
I know you said that the Aura semi has just come out-  I'm curious to know if this is a suitable replacement for the w/SI on trim. I had been told that an "enamelized"  version was in the works, but that the present Aura wasn't it.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Jared

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:00:56 PM »
I had been told that an "enamelized"  version was in the works, but that the present Aura wasn't it.

Yep, agreed.  I was almost surprised to see the word "enamel" didn't appear anywhere on the label...  I have not tried the semi yet, but I'm really curious to see how it compares as well.

My dealer told me today that the exterior line is being readied for market.  They think they'll have it on the shelves by the end of June.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 11:20:41 PM »
I agree on that one, 100%.  But the client insisted on a flat finish on all interior doors and trim, and there was no convincing them otherwise. 
This reminds me of a remodel we worked on a couple years ago. The homeowners were the type that they were stumbling over piles of money, and didn't know what to do with it. They hired an ID from London to fly out and design/spec the remodel. She spec'ed a flat emulsion for all trim. I tried to explain to her and the HO that our version of flat emulsion was just a plain flat paint, and wouldn't hold up at all. Obviously I was an idiot, and they decided they knew much better. Needless to say, all the trim was marked up before the remodel was even finished. Especially the 9" mop boards. I went back probably 20 times in the next year to touch it all up (at their cost) before I finally said enuff is enuff. Call someone else. BTW, I used Porters Silken Touch flat, which is a ceramic finish like Muralo's, but it still wouldn't stay nice for long.

I still have yet to try out the Aura line. I get scared test driving something new on my time and money at a customers house. Maybe some day I'll take the plunge.

So, how did you do the inserts? Mask it off? Free hand?

Jared

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 11:23:49 PM »
100% free hand, using a corona 1" chinex.

And yes, I'll admit it - I did have to go back with the original color and fix a few spots.  ;) 

But that first one came out well enough for the client to decide to do both sides of every door in the house.  Maybe I should have blown it...  ;)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
Nice looking job Jared.
I'm like ProWall haven't tried it the Aura yet. BM is not really big around here.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »
100% free hand, using a corona 1" chinex.

And yes, I'll admit it - I did have to go back with the original color and fix a few spots.  ;) 

But that first one came out well enough for the client to decide to do both sides of every door in the house.  Maybe I should have blown it...  ;)

Yeah, years ago on HO request we did a "Hollywood" in the routed detail of a complete set of kitchen cabinet doors that we had already finished ( 50 or so ). It was very time consuming but the painting detail turned out beautifully... then the HO decided that "Hollywood" style doors are "tacky"... and we broke out the primer...  :'(   ;D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Jared

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 11:02:57 PM »
Yeah, years ago on HO request we did a "Hollywood" in the routed detail of a complete set of kitchen cabinet doors that we had already finished ( 50 or so ). It was very time consuming but the painting detail turned out beautifully... then the HO decided that "Hollywood" style doors are "tacky"... and we broke out the primer...     

Ugh, what a PITA!

In this case, I'm not concerned - as I am working by the hour, and the clients are one of my favorite regulars.

I have not heard the term "Hollywood" used in this way since...  well, since I moved within couple hundred miles from Hollywood.  Funny how that works...  ;)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 11:18:13 PM »
I have not heard the term "Hollywood" used in this way since...  well, since I moved within couple hundred miles from Hollywood.  Funny how that works...  ;)

LOL... Don't tell me they're called "New Jersy" style doors there... furgetaboutit!! ...   :D ;D 
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 09:22:45 AM »
Hey Jared,

what kind of camera do you use?

I tried taking some pictures with my digital (canon powershot A510) so I can post and use as part of my portfolio but they don't come out well.  :(!!

BTW nice job!  :.)p

Jared

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »
I have an older 3.2 megapixel Canon PowerShot, I think the model # is A75.  Nothing special.  In fact, it too is difficult (at best) to get good interior shots with.  I always take each shot with and without the flash, one of the two shots inevitably looks much better.  I think what I need is a wider lens for interior shots.

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 02:34:53 PM »
Jared, you seem to stay pretty low on your ceiling cut line. Not an insult, just an observation. ;)