Author Topic: Does BM's Aura really cover in one coat?!?  (Read 31704 times)

Offline SixInARow

Re: Does BM's Aura really cover in one coat?!?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 10:14:57 PM »
Looks pretty good Jared, nice job.

This reminds me of a remodel we worked on a couple years ago. The homeowners were the type that they were stumbling over piles of money, and didn't know what to do with it. They hired an ID from London to fly out and design/spec the remodel. She spec'ed a flat emulsion for all trim. I tried to explain to her and the HO that our version of flat emulsion was just a plain flat paint, and wouldn't hold up at all. Obviously I was an idiot, and they decided they knew much better. Needless to say, all the trim was marked up before the remodel was even finished.
Hey PWG, I know how that goes.  I had a person once want to do their trim in flat and I happened to have some flat and some semi in my truck.  I went out and took a pen and drew a box on a piece of drywall and painted some flat inside of it, then outside of the box I put semi on.  I did it in front of the customer so they knew which was which.  I went back in and finished the bid then came back out and it had dried in the sunlight.  I convinced them I wasn't the same kind of idiot that their ID was.

Offline TomTom

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »
Jared and blackwolf

I was also using a 3.2 mp Canon until xmas when my father bought me a new camera. It's a Canon SD1000 and it is quite remarkable how much better this camera is. It's 7.1mp and so much much smaller and easier to carry around. I highly recommend it and it's only $150. I take mine out with me virtually everywhere I go.

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD1000-Digital-Optical/dp/B000NK8EWI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1209394492&sr=8-1

Jared

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 11:32:58 AM »
Bauer -

In fact, I do "stay low" when cutting in a ceiling line.  It's an old german technique that my great grandfather taught my dad, who taught me.

Believe it or not (and most don't believe it until they see it for themselves) this cut method actually can allow for an unbelievably clean look.  Let's see if I can find a few pics to illustrate...

OK, here's an example:

(DEAD LINKS REMOVED)

Note that these pics are of the same house as the pics earlier in this thread.  Same colors, same Aura matte, one coat only.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:14:13 PM by Jared »

Jared

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »
TomTom -

Thanks for the recommendation on the camera.  I'll definately look into that model when I am ready to upgrade.

Offline jackpauhl

• Maximum paint, minimum BS
    • Professional Painting Tips and Techniques
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »
Call me Captain Obvious here but shouldnt a color like that cover in one coat with most any paints? I mean I cant see if any of that semi-gloss is coming through in the pic but it looks covered as should be expected. What am i missing here?

Offline HeatherP

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 09:13:56 PM »
This is my first post on the forum but I have been "lurking" and trying to obtain as much knowledge from everyone as possible. (I must thank everyone!) I just finished up a small condo job today...used BM Aura matte/flat (whatever the term is).  I was using a shade of white to cover bm florentine plaster (the name isn't important but it is a fairly light greenish grey).  It took me 3!!! coats of the white to cover that colour!!!!  talked to my BM dealer about it and he said they have been told of coverage issues by other painters as well.  I love the Aura in satin for the trim though.  (to those of you in Alberta..Hi from another Albertan!)

Offline jackpauhl

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »
  It took me 3!!! coats of the white to cover that colour!!!!  talked to my BM dealer about it and he said they have been told of coverage issues by other painters as well.

HeatherP, Did you use the recommended Aura 3/8" covers or another roller cover? Just curious if you used a white woven cover of any brand.

Offline HeatherP

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 07:21:29 AM »
Hi JackPauhl.  I have tried the Aura sleeves and the 13mm I regularly use and have found no difference except the fact that the Aura sleeves are 3times more expensive!!!  Have you used the Aura?  What were your findings?

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 10:55:05 AM »
My local BM dealer told me they are pulling the Aura covers and recommending the ProDooz instead. Another Aura backpeddling.  Aura covers best in the Affinity colors that were made for it. Most are pretty deep and greyed, would help coverage with any paint.  But all in all, I do think Aura covers pretty good, but I never use just one coat.  On a larger project, first coat with something like Super Spec in the same color and finish with Aura.
 I have used Aura Semi for some trim and was pretty impressed. A touch of XIM Xtender and worked like a dream.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline jackpauhl

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 05:11:21 PM »
Hi JackPauhl.  I have tried the Aura sleeves and the 13mm I regularly use and have found no difference except the fact that the Aura sleeves are 3times more expensive!!!  Have you used the Aura?  What were your findings?

No I passed on fooling with it. You know a good product when you dont hear so much bad about it. All Aura is to me is another attempt and some BS gimick to suck more money out of people when the whole principle was to save you and I money. pro doo-z cover can maximize coverage with any wall paint. Using one is like instant skill level increase.

Offline HeatherP

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
Hi BrushJockey.  In a previous job which is/was (ongoing!!!  but quite another story) we were painting new drywall...gave it the appropriate primer, then a coat of moorestyle in colour matched to the affinity colour chosen by the homeowner, thinking it would save $$$ for the homeowner by just having to do one finish coat of Aura, but still had to do 2 coats of Aura.  Then as an experiment in the basement decided to give just the Aura a try on the fresh drywall without primer or that first coat of Moorestyle and it covered great in 2 coats.  Go figure...I am getting quite disillusioned by the Aura for walls (still like it for trim though).

Offline decoman

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
Call me Captain Obvious here but shouldnt a color like that cover in one coat with most any paints? I mean I cant see if any of that semi-gloss is coming through in the pic but it looks covered as should be expected. What am i missing here?

Ahhh NO most paints do not cover in one coat these days and most say to apply two coats right on the can...

We get one coat coverage a lot with Ayra but you have to remember.. no Holidays
MAK -
Decoman

Offline decoman

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »
Bauer -

In fact, I do "stay low" when cutting in a ceiling line.  It's an old german technique that my great grandfather taught my dad, who taught me.

Believe it or not (and most don't believe it until they see it for themselves) this cut method actually can allow for an unbelievably clean look.  Let's see if I can find a few pics to illustrate...

OK, here's an example:

Note that these pics are of the same house as the pics earlier in this thread.  Same colors, same Aura matte, one coat only.

Jared,

we have been seeing that a lot in the Chicago area, the dropped ceiling line look and to find out that its being done by most eastern European contractors which would lend to your German influence being involved...
MAK -
Decoman

anything