Author Topic: Compressed siding and recalls  (Read 6059 times)

Offline SixInARow

Compressed siding and recalls
« on: April 23, 2008, 05:38:51 PM »
Got a few customers with the famous masonite-type siding.  I'm not sure if it's the masonite brand or the stuff from abitibi-price.  One of the houses I have not taken a close look at, they just mentioned they would like me to come back later this spring and paint the exterior but they had to get some of the siding replaced first.  The other one I did look at and the stuff is in bad shape except for the porch which is covered for the most part.  Everywhere else it the bottoms of the boards are swollen and cracked everywhere.  It's in bad shape pretty much all over the house.  I was looking up information and haven't had a whole lot of time to complete my research, but it appears the class action suits are over, but there may still be time to get in on claims.  Anyone know any more information to help me out (and my customer)??

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Compressed siding and recalls
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:26:29 PM »
Not completely sure,..  but I think the class action ship has sailed. We had the same situation a few years back, the customer called the manufacturer and they recommended an oil based primer followed by an acrylic top coat. That may add a few years of life to the siding but I can tell you at that point of degradation the siding cannot really be saved..  :-\ 

Best Luck with it
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline SixInARow

Re: Compressed siding and recalls
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »
I know most if not all of the class action suits are over, but I couldn't quite figure out if there was still time to file a claim.  I dislike the fact that there even is a deadline, there are a lot of people with this crap on their houses who had absolutely no clue it was a bad product to begin with.