Author Topic: SW Duration for deck railings etc?  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Zout

• I'm a llama!
SW Duration for deck railings etc?
« on: May 12, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »
New deck and railings/spindles, the latter to be painted white. I'm looking for something that will last and am wondering if anyone has tried and had any luck with SW's Duration. I realize it'll be a two coat process.

Any other suggestions are much welcomed  ;)

Offline skids929

Re: SW Duration for deck railings etc?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 03:50:12 PM »
I know sikkens makes a rubbol DEK product which looks like a paint, but it is a Solid stain. I am using the Rubbol siding finish for my house and I tested several products prior to committing and this is the best looking one.

Not alot of people really know about Sikkens, but it's top notch stuff. Give it a look-see at your local dealer, you won't regret it.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »
Sikkens is great for almost a year. Then the fun really begins.  Constant upkeep. At least up here in the north where we get all the weather.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »
Another painter and I went to a soon-to-be manditory Lead Safe Work Practices class yesterday and we were talking about Duration.  He mentioned that he applied it to deck railing three years ago and it was still holding up.  He is a brush only guy... I don't know if he applied one coat or two.  I have used a lot of Duration and have always liked it, except on very cold garage doors that never see  the sun from dawn to dusk, but that's another story.  :)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:53:30 PM »
Another painter and I went to a soon-to-be manditory Lead Safe Work Practices class

They outlaw common sense where you are, did they? Won't be able to go to the bathroom without a helmet before they're done...

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »
Sikkens is great for almost a year. Then the fun really begins.  Constant upkeep. At least up here in the north where we get all the weather.

Is this because Sikkens is a poor product or because of the weather? I don't think there is any coating that is going to hold up to certain extreme weather conditions, is there? If you have a a deck that sits in the beating hot sun all day long, you are going to have to paint at least the horizontal surfaces every 1-2 years to keep it fresh looking.  If it sits in the shade and is covered by a canopy or an eve, then it's going to hold up for much longer.  I think it is much more about the conditions than the coating itself.

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
Another painter and I went to a soon-to-be manditory Lead Safe Work Practices class

They outlaw common sense where you are, did they? Won't be able to go to the bathroom without a helmet before they're done...

Here in Oregon, by sometime in 2009 (I forgot when) all trades will be required to attend the all day class on Lead Safe Practices.  It was mostly common sense info.  Thankfully, the instructor was excellent; very interested (hard to believe, I know) and knowledgable.