Author Topic: A very tough job  (Read 23646 times)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
A very tough job
« on: May 18, 2008, 10:48:02 AM »
Well, I'm finally home from the Hamptons. Job was very good profit wise, but grueling on the physical end of it. I personally abhor new construction, but it is what it is. We encountered a 54" commercial vinyl that literally kicked my a55. Very heavy, very thick, and had a subtle pattern that needed to be matched or it would look bad. It double-cut horribly, and required caulking of the seams to make the appearance get close to acceptable. Forget the heat gun, we used propane blow torches to persuade this stuff to lay down.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Re: A very tough job
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
Some other pictures of material at the same site:

The polyolefin cloth that I hacked my finger on:

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »
A beautiful deep purple (almost black, color: expresso) grass:

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »
It seems on every site that when people see new wallcovering, they inevitably want to touch it. To keep our goods clean, we had the superintendent  post these signs:

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 10:54:37 AM »
A funny clip from the job site. My buddy Phil is a very brave soul.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4kGRIvQTfo

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
Nice work.
Bet those signs just inticed them to touch, just like wet paint signs, just got to see if it is wet.  ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »
Oh ya- making seams on that first one looked like lots of fun. How do you torch it without melting?
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 07:42:17 PM »
Oh ya- making seams on that first one looked like lots of fun. How do you torch it without melting?
Wet it with a rag or sponge, and keep the torch moving all the time. Work fast.

Offline Frankie

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
Nice Job :) good idea with the blow torch....I think that's what they use in those vinyl gutter machines.?
we got some 54" cloth from London (shakesphere blvd) and it came without the spec sheets! so we had no idea what type of paste to use, or instructions.. thank God it wasn't a stagger pattern! (we went with clay paste). and cutting it. forget about it! we had to set up two wallpaper tables side by side with 18 clamps to hold it...man were the seams a pain in the rear...

the job never did come out great but it was passable...my friend who is the best paper man I have ever seen, had his moment when the decorators called in the "supposed best paper guy in Chicago" to finish. well he did a worse job! and we had to tear his stuff down and finish it our way ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:29:40 PM by Frankie »

Offline jdmccann

• Right first things first... lets get the kettle on
    • MyProFinish
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
Is that paper at the top, the Chequers pattern from Lincrusta??? And if so how do you find handling that stuff?

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:57:47 AM »
Is that paper at the top, the Chequers pattern from Lincrusta??? And if so how do you find handling that stuff?
No, its not a Lincrusta, it was just a very thick and heavy fabric-backed vinyl. It was a !!!! to handle, just as tough as most of the Lincrusta papers.

Offline jdmccann

• Right first things first... lets get the kettle on
    • MyProFinish
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »
Yeah it looks a nightmare.  And it does look EXACTLY like the lincrusta pattern I mentioned.  Never hung Lincrusta and was thinking of attending their teaching course (even tho I've never been asked to hang it) I figure it could be something to add to the resume. Then I figure if I'm not using it enough it could be pointless.  But I just saw the paper on their site and remembered seeing your job photos as I really liked that paper... well on a feature wall maybe I dunno about a whole room for my taste but each to their own. 

Oh and the use of blowtorches... never heard of that being used before.  That for vinyl only??  Who thought that up and how does it work exactly?

Offline Roger12

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
It looks very delightful and stunning work. Great job! Very interesting to see all the amazing work done.

Offline Straight Edge Painting

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 06:11:13 PM »
That's some high end work.  Looks great.  I wish my painters could hang paper like that!

anything