Author Topic: Custom Painter's...what is your most important tool?  (Read 22142 times)

Offline Frankie

Custom Painter's...what is your most important tool?
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:45:11 PM »
I am new to the board (surprised I have never found this before) but just to get a little insight on some I was wondering what is most important tool for you as a painter?

for me it has got to by my shop vac....my two inch knife and snap off blades would come in a close second...

so how about it, what is the main tool that keeps your work honest.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Custom Painter's...what is your most important tool?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »
That tough to bring it down to one. I would agree with all three of yours, and add my swiss army knife, main 3 (12,6 & 3" ) mud knives, so many.
 Most painter tools are simple, but indispensable.

Welcome aboard! 
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
Apart from high quality brushes.... a sharp 5 in 1 .... IMO every painter should have one...  :)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Frankie

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »
the "Purdy Scooter" is my favorite brush. and I love "American Paintbrush Corp"oil based brushes...they are the best!

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:22:23 PM »
I carry a canvas mason bag with my everyday tools and brushes.  It consist of tools ranging from the 5-n-1 to drip-less caulk gun, to 1" to 4" Corona Maui brushes, to 3" to 10" drywall knives, to......  gosh, I'd hate to have to do without any of them......   If I had to absolutely pick the one I reach for the most often, it would be a toss between the 5-n-1 and the 2.5 Maui.
Best,<br />Marion

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:25:18 PM »
I don't know if I could classify this as my most important tool but the one I can't seem to live without is the good ole 5 in 1. I normally have it close if not in my pocket and start to freak out a little if I don't know exactly where it is. I guess I am kinda OCD with the thing.
I also feel naked with out my pocket knife. It's a SOG assisted open with serated blade. I use it more than most people would ever think.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:37:50 PM »
Ive always called my 5n1 my wonder tool. Cause I always wonder where I left it... ;D
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »
Steady hand that can cut a straight line.    ;D Then a 5n1 & a good clean rag if that doesn't work. Short people like me has to have a good safe ladder, to paint baseboards.  0:>)

Lynjo

BTW welcome Frankie, we do get a little crazy here now then. Must be the paint fumes.  0:>>
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 05:07:21 AM »
Every day before I leave my place I check to make sure that I have my 5-in-1 in my right tool pocket and my utility knife clipped onto my belt.  If my morning routine gets derailed and I forget these two tools, I end up kicking myself all day. :'(

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 08:09:11 AM »
I have to agree with the steady hand. Without it, there are no tools that will make a craftsman out of you. Most people take years to develop the ability to cut and lay off with fluid straight lines in an efficient manner. I was no exception.

Aside from that, I find that no tool is indispensable, though I have been able to make do with "makeshift" at times.

One of the first sayings that was drilled into me when I started in the paint business was; "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools"

Offline Frankie

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 08:52:58 AM »
I never use a 5-1. only if I am doing heavy scraping or cleaning a roller sleeve. I find them very difficult to keep in my pocket. I just use a good modified two inch knife and my olfa (snap off blade)...like the guy above (LJ) said: I as well am lost without it. I use my 2 inch knife and ofla houndred times a day.

lynjowoman-- I love the ladder joke....LMFAO!

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 05:26:36 PM »
Corona brushes, oil or latex, 2" putty knife and a rag.  ;)

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 07:03:26 PM »
Hyde hammer end 5 in 1.. the nice, simple, 2 1/2 " one... those 7, 8, 9 and 10 in 1 fancy schmancy ones are way too big, and look like something out of a slasher movie
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:31:46 PM by UUjohn »
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 04:28:01 AM »
ofla houndred times a day.

What for?

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »
:D
Best,<br />Marion