Author Topic: Zinsser 1-2-3 reformulation?  (Read 5854 times)

Jared

Zinsser 1-2-3 reformulation?
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:31:36 PM »
Anyone else notice that Zinsser 1-2-3 has become infinitely more brushable than it used to be?

Last week I was using some 2 month old 1-2-3, and this week I picked up a fresh supply.  The difference between the 2 batches is all in the level/flow/brushability.  And WHAT a difference!  It really didn't feel like I was priming.

Anyone else notice this, or can anyone confirm that there has, in fact, been a recent reformulation?

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Re: Zinsser 1-2-3 reformulation?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »
I can neither confirm nor deny it, but I will attest to the fact that I know that Zinsser is famous for goofing around with their formulas quite often, for better or for worse. If you ever had the chance to use their Shieldz WC primer for any period of time, you would know what I mean.

Offline TomTom

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:43:24 PM »
Funny you should mention that Jared. I was priming some doors on Friday not with 1-2-3 but with latex Kilz. I thought I'd done a particularly good job, and so did my friend, with barely any brush marks at all but then maybe the formula has improved. Of course those Corona brushes I'm using these days help a ton too.  :)

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »
I'm amazed at the results of 123.  It goes on great with few brushmarks.  IMO its the best primer out there.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
I have almost aways thinned and now Latex Xtened 123.  I make it work how I need it to. But as of yet haven't seen a difference. Will look out for it.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Jared

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »
I have always liked 1-2-3 quite a bit - perhaps I'm biased because I grew up a stone's throw from the Zinsser facilities in Somerset, NJ.

But frankly, this new batch is heads-and-shoulders above any previous version I've ever used, as far as the brushability.  Honestly, it felt just like I was brushing out Aura or a high-end D-E paint.  And when it dried, I swear I can't pick out a single brush mark or any roller stipple at all.  The 7 interior doors I painted today are some of the best-looking finishes I've ever produced - and the doors are almost 100 years old, and spent the last 20-some years as a rental.  I credit these results to the 1-2-3 that was used.

Oh, and normally I also use Extender and/or thin my 1-2-3 - but this time I only added tint, no thinning or conditioning whatsoever.  I did check the label on the new 5, no obvious changes from the older one - same VOC, same solids content, etc.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:28:40 PM »
I think 123 is a better finish than may top coats. I have my dining room painted in tinted 123, and have left many bathroom and kitchen ceilings with that as a finish.  Before the W/B enamels got decent, I would even use it as a trim paint, worked far better than what was sold as a Semi. Touch up nicked corners of S/I, no end to the uses!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)