Author Topic: Painting garage floor?  (Read 5552 times)

TJH

Painting garage floor?
« on: January 26, 2006, 08:17:02 AM »
Have to paint new 3 stall garage floor for a customer.Would you use the pre packaged kits from menards or is there a better product out there?Also his builder was trying to line him up with a guy that does garage floors exclusively (at 4.00 /sq.ft. WOW) Any way,what would you recommend? Thanks, Tim

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
Re:Painting garage floor?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 11:39:51 AM »
$4.00 a sq. ft is pretty cheap for the stuff that I like to put down.  There is more work than just slapping some paint on the floor.  Where are you located?
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 02:32:22 PM »
MP's right, there's a LOT of prep involved with concrete floors, and if you have to throw a warranty on top of that, you need to add it to the price somehow, because odds are as good that the epoxy will fail as they are that the concrete will crack... :o

Even the newfangled latex-based floor epoxies, though convenient and less hazardous, involve the same prep--That 'crete's gotta be eat-off'n-it clean...And etched correctly.

If you haven't done floors before, you're going to learn a few things at $4/ft. Once the floor is properly prepped, the material is a matter of preference, IMO...

Good luck
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 02:33:37 PM by the PAINTSMITH »

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 02:40:57 PM »
Now here's a floor I do once a year, @ .35/sq. ft....5700 sq., takes me from 7:00 am til about noon. The venue buys and delivers material, all I do is powerwash and spray one coat on...I call it "printing money"... 8)

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:53:50 PM »
Thats nice money for the amount of time it takes.  What do you do at the edges if your spraying.  
TJH- Don't let the builder get the work, go to your local paint supplier and see what he has to offer in terms of floor covering.  Any more I tend to hate builders.  They are the greediest bastards I have ever met.  They want you to do it dirt cheap for them with top quality materials/results but then they want you to give them a huge break so they can stick it up the customers ass and make a ton of money off you while your struggling to pay your bills.  And they always pull that s**t where they say "I've got more work if you give me a good number on this" and it never comes true.    And then you wonder why the customer looks at you funny.  They'll take the best offer thats given to them, no loyalty from these jerks.  It seems to me that they all think that a painter is a painter, no skill involved. (sorry, just venting a little bit)
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com