Author Topic: Customer not paying..  (Read 9484 times)

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
Customer not paying..
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »
Hello all,

I guess there is a first time for everything... I finished a job the 14th of May, and I normally do a final walk through with the customer to allow for any questions to be answered and touch ups to be done and finally to get paid, a couple of days before the job was completed I let the customer know what was going to be the final day of work and the purpose of the final day, the day we were finishing the job she had to go to work, she said good bye and that was it, I finished the job cleaned up called her cell phone and left her a voice mail explaining what I did, where I left the invoice and so forth.  :)

I did not receive a call back so I followed up with a courtesy call on the 24th of May left a voice mail asking for a call back to find out if there was going to be a problem with the balance being paid, and I wanted to know if the customer had a problem with any of the work that was done.  :-\

To this day I have not received a return call, I don't want to come across as if I were a loan shark,  :0!! but I'm trying to strike the right professional balance   0:>)....my question is what would be an appropriate next step?  ???

Jared

Re: Customer not paying..
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:49:14 PM »
I don't mean to sound harsh, but IMO the next step is to have a letter drawn up by a lawyer explaining that if payment is not made in full (including any applicable late fees) by a specific date, a lien will be filed and she will lose her house.

I don't put up with clients who don't live up to their responsibilities and/or play games.  I suggest you don't either.  ;)

Let's see if any others here feel my approach is too confrontational.

(And by the way - my contracts insist on payment in full by the end of the final work day - which means if they decide they're going to go elsewhere on the last day of work, they can cut me a check the next day - with a late fee included.  ;) )

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:59:39 PM »
I think there are a  lot of approaches to this. In my case, most my customers are either repeats or direct referrals. I Have no problem giving them repeated " gentle reminders" with a little guilt - ie I'm not a bank, this  is what I do for a living, etc.  I seldom get paid as I leave. I usually get paid within a week.

Is this a bridge to burn, or can you work on it a bit more?  Once the threat card is pulled, the contact is gone, Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe she has an acceptable story.

I find sugar first, then the hammer. I have only needed the hammer a few times in almost 30 yrs.

JMEx
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:34:44 AM »
Most contracts call for payment within 30 days. You only finished 2 weeks ago. I would give her another couple weeks before getting harsh.

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:11:55 AM »
I'm with chrisn, wait 30 days.  If no response, lein.
Best,<br />Marion

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:41:35 AM »
Thank you all for your replies...while I don't have tolerance for games either Jared, she was a referral so I will wait 2 weeks and then elevate the issue send her a registered letter of my intent and then I will bring forth a lien proceeding if I don't receive payment.

BW

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:06:47 AM »
Check the lien laws in your state. Some have a short window of opportunity to be able to file one. Some states require you send a "Notice of Intent to Lien' before you actually file.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:13:56 AM »
Take it easy, man...Controversy can blow up in your face.

My slow-pay customers usually get a complimentary reminder invoice about two weeks after the first, along with a highlighted suggestion that, as is your legal right, charges will be added should a third invoice be necessary...That usually does it.

This IS business, but at the same time, especially considering that it's a SMALL business (my assumption), a measure of leeway and neighborlyness should be in order. Like BJ said, sugar can get a lot more done...Once the vinegar is on the table, it may not clean up as well...

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:05:19 AM »
Paintsmith,

I do agree with your point and BJ's about the neighborly approach,  :D but I treat all my customers that way, I show personal interest towards them and the things important to them without being nosy.... I let her dog out when he scratched at the door everyday I was there, I cleaned up after him one time so the house would not smell like crap when she came home after work, I also patched up a hole in the kitchen ceiling for her at no extra cost, these are things I have no problem doing for customers, ;) all I ask is that the same courtesy be extended to me when it's time to fulfill their responsibility. :)

Offline Billy The Painter

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 11:56:05 AM »
I would go too see her in person  there may be a problem with cell phone ......

Offline Chip McCheckellson

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
What would John McClain do?  ;D
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die, opt to adopt.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
What would John McClain do?  ;D

What would Scooby Do?

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 10:42:41 PM »
Blackwolf give her a little time, but you should contact her in person to see what the problem is. Not getting a return call is not a good sign. We all know times are hard right now for almost everyone, but not returning your calls is very rude & inconsiderate. If she is having a hard time she should be up front with it & try to work something out. She needs to show a little good faith & not just leave you hanging.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline readboutjc

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 09:28:14 AM »
i agree.  never had that problem and hope i never do.  but i would show up
unexpected at her doorstep with an invoice in my hand and a smile on my face.  :)

it may be a little different for me whereas i paint part-time, but i tell all my
customers before i start a job, that i like to get paid once a week before
returning to my full time job - regardless.

i don't know how much she owes you, but like the paintsmith said, i wouldn't
be too harse too quick.  never know how she may help you in the long run.

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 12:01:27 PM »
okay I went to see her in person with a smile on my face :), and she cut a check for me on the spot, told me she was busy and just lost track of time....i said okay smiled and walked away.

thanks again for all your suggestions!  ;)

anything