Author Topic: Purchasing HVLP from the US  (Read 3049 times)

Offline ozipainter

Purchasing HVLP from the US
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:17:21 AM »
Hi
I'm looking to import a graco 4900 procomp HVLP from the US, I'll work on a 1us dollor = 1 Aus dollar as they are not to far of at this moment in time, current RRP for the 4900 procomp here in Australia is $2950.00 compared to $1279.00 in the US, so as you can see quite a big saving, factor in the shipping cost to aus and it will still be a very viable proposition, under the free trade agreement between our countries i don't think i'll be liable for any import or duty tax on arrival her in aus, as long as i have submitted the right paperwork to customs, sites i have contacted requesting shipping costs to aus have fallen on deaf ears, even though they advertise international shipping, my first question is, the weight specs for this unit read as follows Weight - 29 lb bare, 41 lb complete, is the 41lb the total weight of everything packed into the box ?, if anyone has purchased a similar unit could you give me an idea of the box dimensions, 2nd question, i use my old graco 190es for 1st ct to walls, trim and doors (all acrylic sealer u/ct), i'll use the unit to enamel 4 panel stanford doors, i rough edge around the door (prevents overspray onto the walls and reduces waste) and then using a 515 tip proceed with 2 passes over the 4 panels followed by a dry roll. i second ct my door frames with acrylic sealer undercoat as this gives a more solid base to work on and also eliminates a lot of gunfilling (gapping/caulking) before applying the enamel, my primary use of the HVLP would be to apply the enamel to the frames, i know the 4900 is suitable for acrylics, how well do theses units apply acrylic, what are the pros and cons for the 4900 procomp over the standard 4900, sorry for the long winded post, i hope i have covered all the bases   

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Purchasing HVLP from the US
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »
OZI- We have a store owner and a couple of paint reps that stop by here, no insiders to Graco that I know of.  Be patient on this one, maybe someone can work out a way.

But quite a few HVLP users-
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

anything