Author Topic: Painting rates  (Read 8139 times)

Offline bcarr6615

Painting rates
« on: June 02, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Hi all,
My college buddies and I are looking to start our own painting business this summer, and we're all trying to research appropriate rates to charge.  We're looking to just do interior painting for home owners; the small easy jobs.  Can anyone tell me what is appropriate to charge per hour, per room, or per sq. foot?  I know this thread has probably been started multiple times before but it'd be great to get a response here.  Also, any other advice on starting a little 4 man project would be great.  Thanks

Offline blackwolf

• Just the fax maam
Re: Painting rates
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:05:46 PM »
Hey bcarr,

if you look at the second subject on this page "Bidding Interior Paint Jobs" it might be useful.

:) BW

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »
SMALL EASY JOBS   Sorry there is no such a thing as an easy paint job if it is done properly. Caulk, minor repairs, etc.   ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:25:14 PM »
Also, enough paint business to keep 4 young men busy for the summer, first year.......  Go for your goal, but keep everyone's expectations realistic.

Good luck guys!
Best,<br />Marion

Offline Bauer

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »
good luck

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:47:22 AM »
You will want to check with your state/county/city for whatever procedures painters need to follow to operate a legit business.  In some states, all you need to do is register.   In others, it can be a bit more complex.  If you are in California, you should just move to another state to paint.

Also, you will want to pick up some general liability insurance.  It's not that expensive.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »
If you want to get out the easy way, start off with this book, then adapt their figures to your production rates/financial needs.

http://www.nwbuildnet.com/stores/bookloft/est/paint/npce.html

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:02:55 AM »
As Carl the Painter mentioned, it'll probably be a good idea to see what your state's laws are. To be legit you may need to get your Painting contractors licence. Then on top of that you may need to be bonded and insured. If those things are required in your state and you haven't done those things you could be asking for trouble. Not only from the contractors board, but if a savy client realizes that you're not licenced, they don't have to pay you a dime for any work you've done. All it would take is one or two pissed off clients to make your life start to suck.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but there's way more to a paint business than you might think at this point.

Good luck!!! :)
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline theopas7

• "putty and paint will make it what it aint"
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 09:29:28 PM »
bcarr6615,
               take on a few small jobs by the hour so you have an idea what you have to charge
by the job.

Offline csd

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 06:49:37 AM »
Hi all,
My college buddies and I are looking to start our own painting business this summer, and we're all trying to research appropriate rates to charge.  We're looking to just do interior painting for home owners; the small easy jobs.  Can anyone tell me what is appropriate to charge per hour, per room, or per sq. foot?  I know this thread has probably been started multiple times before but it'd be great to get a response here.  Also, any other advice on starting a little 4 man project would be great.  Thanks

then you just have to read this book!!!!
helps you getting started here are a few things youll learn:

Unfortunately, by the rules of this board, unsolicited advertising is not allowed. Please contact admin to inquire about posting your link...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:05:07 AM by the PAINTSMITH »

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 04:45:12 AM »
To be legit you may need to get your Painting contractors licence. Then on top of that you may need to be bonded and insured.

All true here in Maryland :'(