Author Topic: Benjamin Aura?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline BPS

Benjamin Aura?
« on: June 20, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »
Has anyone used BM's new Aura Exterior paint?  I have a job that I may consider using it for.  The retailer says that I can put it directly over existing oil paint without priming.  I'm a little nervous that it may compromise the quality and that I'll end up having to re-paint this home in a year.  It's a 5000+ sq ft home with a ton of windows and I really don't want to have to redo this work, especially at my cost.  Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Ryan   

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Benjamin Aura?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »
That just came out here. I used it last week, and it handled just like the interior Aura. But I was putting it over flat painted rough sawn, so the adhesion was not an issue.
 An actual primer made for adhesion, tinted to close to your finish, is a good insurance policy still, I think.
And if it is going to take 2 coats, which is actually what the interior Aura looks best with, might as well have one coat more effective at half the price.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:57:29 PM »
We have been using it for the past few weeks. We also had a situation where the exterior trim and windows were painted with oil. So, we did not take chances and primed before top coating with Aura.
I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!

Offline Frankie

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:27:30 PM »
I was thinking about using this product, I love BM paints the most. but I will give it another year and see what others have to say. doing a job twice doesn't fit my schedule.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »
I heard that the exterior Aura got recalled because it dried too fast to be used outside but can't find any confirmation of this rumor.  To me it makes sense though....Aura dries almost too fast to be used inside.  What is it like using this with high humidity and wind? Rough sewn cedar I'm sure is not a problem, but what about smooth siding? How do you apply the paint and not have it not be dry by the time you dip your brush again? Isn't keeping a wet edge near impossible, even with extender?

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
I'll never make the mistake of putting water based latex over oil without prime EVER again.

I don't care what the retailer says... He's not the one doing the job and sweating it out  >:(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:04:04 PM by Jake »
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.