Author Topic: Anybody live in Seattle?  (Read 7425 times)

Offline Jake

• postingpro
Anybody live in Seattle?
« on: June 21, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »
Even though I'm a noob here, some of you have read my posts and know that I am soooo sick of living in the desert that I'm about ready to go out and dig a hole and bury myself in it!  :P

I've always thought about living in Seattle and it appears as if there are a lot of opportunity's for employment there in our chosen profession.

I'm from the upper mid-west so rain and grey skys are not an issue... In fact I LOVE that weather.

Can anyone help with some info about living there? Working there? Anything?

Any help is appreciated.

Will Jake live in Seattle, or will the dream sink like soponified paint to the bottom of the bucket... Or in this case the bottom of the forum....  ;D

Cheers!!!

Jake.
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Jared

Re: Anybody live in Seattle?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 06:32:40 PM »
One of my best repeat clients (an owner of multiple restaurants that I service regularly) was an exterior painting contractor in Seattle back in the 80's - he made it for 2 years only before he went out of business, as he only had about 20 working days available between mid September and June.  It rains an average of 6 days a week for 9+ months of the year...  so if you're planning to do interior work only, this could be feasible.  Exterior painters in Seattle tend to come & go very rapidly.  This seems to be the case for the entire Washington and Oregon coastlines, as well as the northern 75 miles of California's coast as well - they all have that same weather pattern to try and work around.

Oh, and I don't nor have I ever lived in Seattle - but I did spend about 4-5 years along the Oregon coast as well as the northernmost California coast, and it really does rain an average 6 days a week for 9 months a year - in fact, one winter I was in Trinidad CA, we literally didn't get a single day without continuous rain for more than 6 months straight!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:37:00 PM by Jared »

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 06:55:43 PM »
Hey Jered!

Thanks for the info!  :)

I do exterior work, but specialize in interior, so.... cool! :)

Dude, I'm super curious becoz I've been to Seaside and Cannon Beach, Oregon and it was AWESOME!!!...

I've always wondered about the Northern Cali towns like Eureka/ redwood forest places. (I'd also like to mention that I'm way down with you guy's "good ol daze" thread... So there's that about that area if you know what I mean)  ;D

Did you paint there? Did you make a living? What was it like?

Interesting stuff bro!!!

Cheers!

Jake.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:58:08 PM by Jake »

Jared

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 08:19:26 PM »
The redwood zone up in northern cali is absolutely beautiful once you get out of Eureka itself, and about 5-10 miles north of Eureka is one of my favorite spots on earth, Trinidad.  If you find yourself up in that area, do yourself a favor and do some exploring/hiking/camping in Trinidad, and be sure to check out all of the parks there.  During the summer months, this area is truly paradise.

The only problem I had up there was the overall lack of income sources.  Not much money up there.  I lasted quite a while because I was working as an artist and shipping all of my work outside the area, so my income was not generated locally.  I was not painting houses for a living back then - in fact, this was during my more rebellious younger years when I was trying to get away from the family business.  ;)

Oregon coast is just as beautiful, but even more sparsely populated.  Only a few Oregon coastal areas would have enough of a population to support full-time painting work, IMO.  But you've got quite a bit more population inland a ways...  Eugene/Springfield area is heavily populated, as well as the outlying suburbs between Eugene and Portland.  But with the relatively low population, you wouldn't have to fight much traffic to get yourself to the coast from the 5 corridor where the population is.

I loved living in the sparsely-populated areas as an artist, but there's no way I could make a living painting houses in those areas...  but there is definately possibilities up in the pacific northwest.  Just choose your area very carefully, you don't want to get stuck in a pond too small to support your business.  ;)

Offline TomTom

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:34:54 PM »
I live in Portland OR and I love it here but this years weather has been awful, even by pacific northwest standards. Fortunately the cold and rain stopped a week ago and we've had nice weather since. I grew up in England so I know all about grey skies and rain  ;D

One of my good friends has been living in Seattle for a year or so. He really likes it and I think it's a great city though I wouldn't leave Portland to move there but that's just because I like it here so much. It's funny going up there because it feels so big & busy! He found work as a painter up there without a problem but his wages were much lower than what he'd been used to in Boston where he'd moved from. His wife is always asking me to move there so he and & I can work together because he won't drive and therefore can't do his own jobs.

If you've been to Seattle and like it and you are unhappy where you are now then maybe you should make a move. Seattle is more expensive than here but the whole region is great in my mind and I came here without a job and crashed at a friends house for 2 months. I was like you, I'd begun to really dislike where I was living and needed a change. I've just got into whitewater kayaking and what better place to be than the pacific northwest. I love the life out here and have no intention of moving back to the east coast where I was living before my move.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »
Wow, thanks for the responces fella's!

Yeah I'm thinking if I can swing it, that I might start saving up and move there in the spring.

Interesting stuff about Northern Cali and Oregon coast Jered. Man it would be cool to be able to support oneself through house painting in those areas. I bet it's almost paradise to live in the forest and right next to the ocean. :)

I lived briefly (3 months) in Portland (Beaverton) with a chick I shacked up with back in the early 90's. It was a pretty cool city. Portland is definately livable.

Still, Seattle seems like the place.

Heck Tom, if I move there I'll throw your friend in my truck and drive him all over the place to do some side jobs... We can split the money and I can learn my way around!  ;D

Thanks again for the info guys!!! Appreciate it!!!

Jake.

anything