Author Topic: How long after priming do you wait to paint  (Read 60348 times)

Aldo

How long after priming do you wait to paint
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »
I just remodeled my kitchen, new walls, skimcoat, etc. I just primed the kitchen and would like to know how long I have to wait before I can paint. I'm thinking an hour or so?

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:How long after priming do you wait to paint
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 06:59:16 PM »
Aldo,

It depends on the primer, but in general, if it is dry enough to sand, and it dusts up, then it is ready for paint. Some primer/sealers can be top-coated in 45 min. too 1 hr.
Also, primers should not be allowed to "heal" before painting. primer healing can occur if the primer is left unpainted for many days or weeks.

Hope this Helps,
rmichael     pro painter
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Aldo

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 07:53:34 AM »
Mike,

That helps me a lot. Thanks for the great advice.

Aldo

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 10:49:30 AM »
Never heard the term, or point about not letting primer "heal".  What happens to the primer if it sits too long?
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 04:50:52 PM »
When the  primer is dry but not yet "cured" it is sometimes called "open". The best bond between the primer and top coat is achieved if the primer has not yet completely locked in at a molecular level.  If the primer is allowed to cure over an extended period of time it can seal itself and the very best bond between the coatings may be lost. This is usually not a problem since most folks are eager to get the paint on.  :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 04:52:31 PM by rmichael »

Offline funcolors

• postingpro
    • Color Strategies, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 09:13:07 PM »
Thank you.  Wonderfully clear explanation.  This came up on another forum and I knew primer couldn't sit for weeks on end (I called it over-cure), but did not understand it completely or know the correct term nor the ramifications.  I'll pass this info on if you don't mind.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 09:38:42 PM by funcolors »
Funcolors because color should be the fun part.

Offline NANCEM

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 03:31:34 PM »
Uh oh....I primed atleast a month ago, maybe longer...what do I do now. Prime again?

2nd question: What average amount of coverage do you get when doing two coats? (manufacturer says 400-450; I know that spread amount should increase on the second coat but I don't know what to plan for)...I understand the job will look bad if I spread too thin and I don't want to do that, on the otherhand, I'm painting because I've lost my job and prepping the house for sale....I can't waste money as I've got several projects that need to get done....Area is 291 sf that I want to apply two coats to....sorry for blabbering!

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 03:45:40 PM »
Hi Aldo,

If we are talking primed walls you should be OK. If the trim has been left standing open it up with a light sanding (220 grit).
You should get two good coats on 300 sq ft with two gallons of paint....and you should have some left for touch up..... ;)

Best of Luck
rmichael      pro painter

anything