Author Topic: Ever paper a ceiling?  (Read 14469 times)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Ever paper a ceiling?
« on: June 29, 2008, 09:05:26 AM »
Here is a pretty boring video of myself and a buddy hanging a ceiling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvNStn_U2Vg

And if you made it all the way through that one without being bored to death, here is part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvwiYj4UAWo

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
Re: Ever paper a ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »
Nice video. That job looks like a pain in the neck.  ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »
That job looks like a pain in the neck.
It is, but the extra weight in my wallet afterward helped alleviate the pain.

Offline TomTom

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 10:33:31 PM »
That job looks like a pain in the neck.
It is, but the extra weight in my wallet afterward helped alleviate the pain.

When I was a kid back home in England the job description was Painter & Decorator, which meant painting and wallpapering. It was all one job as you barely saw a wall in a house that didn't have wallpaper. That's how it was, wallpaper and wall-to-wall carpets in every home I ever went in. Pretty darn nasty when I think back on it it. It wasn't until I moved to the US in 1981 that I saw people would paint their walls rather than have wallpaper. (Mind you, that's the east coast. Over here in Oregon everyone has textured walls which seems a little weird to me but of course still painted.) I have never done wallpaper and have no interest. I get annoyed enough when I have to strip it from walls ;D. Besides, painting a large ceiling is enough of a pain in the neck I cannot imagine what pasting wallpaper on one would be like. No thanks!

Vin

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:50:14 PM »
Impressive prowall

I know a gal who does venetian plaster on ceilings now thats something i could not do for long unless of course the $$$$ was quite large and i'm pretty sure it is for her she only does a few homes a year and makes a living.

Offline jdmccann

• Right first things first... lets get the kettle on
    • MyProFinish
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:07:05 AM »
Papering ceilings, although daunting at first are pretty easy. No obstacles to go round.  I paper them on my own usually although using vinyl that width (as seen on the vid) I'd recommend enlisitng help

Offline thebrushand

• Andrew Crichton Master Painter and Decorator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »
Papering ceilings, although daunting at first are pretty easy. No obstacles to go round.  I paper them on my own usually although using vinyl that width (as seen on the vid) I'd recommend enlisitng help

Likewise, no problem with standard width papers, until you get a load of those crappy recessed ceiling lights in a stairwell  :'(

Over the years I've cross lined some mega lath and plaster ceilings, but the past couple of months I have been presented with several  ceilings that have been so bad i have had them overboarded and skimmed. Not exactly a traditional solution, but my plastering mate does a neat and tidy job in less time than I could repair and sand and ...

If a lath and plaster ceiling is water damaged the weight of wet lining paper can actually be the final straw to bring them down. That happened once, an architect specified scrim-backed lining paper on a ceiling, it was on his own house. I did the job, went to work the next morning to paint it but instead, I had to tell him to order a skip, a shovel and a labourer to remove the debris in the middle of the floor.

Offline jdmccann

• Right first things first... lets get the kettle on
    • MyProFinish
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »
lath and plaster ceilings don't you just love em.  i came up with another solution on a job i did for my mum... ceiling was very uneven so i just built some stud work and installed a floating ceiling. very easy and looks great.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:25:20 AM »
Yeah, I too usually do ceilings by myself, but this was different. As you mentioned, the width of the paper was a bit more than usual, and it was also some very $$$ stuff. Made by Innovations and called Murano, it had gold leaf threads run throughout it, and looked like fiberglass or spiderweb panels. Plus it weighed a ton.

Offline thebrushand

• Andrew Crichton Master Painter and Decorator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »
How do you manage to work with all those blokes wandering through your work space?  :o

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 02:40:24 PM »
One of the blokes was our helper, and probably retrieving something we asked for.
The other bloke is an ex pro football player/multi-millionaire who hired me. He can walk where ever he wants.  ;)

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 04:47:22 AM »
What is Jeff, about 5 ft 5? ;D You look about 8 inches bent over on your walk board where he is reaching for the ceiling, must have been uncomfortable for you but if the $ was good, who cares

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »
What is Jeff, about 5 ft 5? ;D You look about 8 inches bent over on your walk board where he is reaching for the ceiling, must have been uncomfortable for you but if the $ was good, who cares
Tell me about it! Being 6'2", its tough finding someone my size for ceilings. I've done one with Cliff who stands around 5'9", Jeff, and Cyndi Green. She was the toughest, I think she is about 5' 2" tops. I should have videoed that one.  ;D

anything