Author Topic: bubbling paint (Behr) on aluminum siding  (Read 2448 times)

Offline HelpingHand

bubbling paint (Behr) on aluminum siding
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:01:28 PM »
Hello,

I'm in New Orleans, which at this point in the summer runs about 70% humidity and afternoon rain.  I know that one is not generally supposed to paint without a 24 hour window.

We've been painting houses in this sort of weather using a Kelly Moore recycled paint.  I've never had any problems with paint bubbling up.

However, two houses, in the same geographical area, have had problems with the paint bubbling 24-48 hours after having painted it.  This only has happened with Behr paints.  In both instances the environment was high humidity with possible rain (it did rain between 4 and 12 hours after application). The surface was scraped or pressure washed, depending on the lead content.  In both cases we had several other houses running concurrently within a few blocks, so ostensibly, the same weather conditions.   

One house was previously painted wood, the other was previously painted aluminum siding.  On the wood house there were large (a few inches wide) bubbles, on the aluminum house there were small (several millimeters wide) bubbles.  The surface was primed with Zinsser peel stop.

Has anyone ever run into these problems with Behr paints?  And if so, are there solutions that anyone can give?
Thanks!

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: bubbling paint (Behr) on aluminum siding
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:47:55 PM »
And if so, are there solutions that anyone can give?

Switch brands,quickly.

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: bubbling paint (Behr) on aluminum siding
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:17:40 PM »
I have seen high pigmented paint (dark colors) bubble when applied to a hot surface or in direct Sun, however, from your post it seems that the paint was exposed to rain shortly after application, some of today's exterior paints require a strict 24 hour window before exposure to moisture ( including dew ).

The low temperature paints have a much faster dry/cure time and therefore are more forgiving in regards to moisture ( rain or dew ) We use them year round...Check the label for the recoat time, if it is four hours the paint should not present a problem with moisture.

Pro Painter 25 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."