Author Topic: Painting a good trade ? Thinking to start a biz  (Read 20863 times)

Offline nomadik

Painting a good trade ? Thinking to start a biz
« on: July 07, 2008, 07:10:11 PM »
Hi, I am thinking of becoming a painter, to be self employed.

I have been doing home renovatinos for about 4 years, with a company. I am trying to decide between Painting or
drywall taping.

Is there lots of work to keep a painter busy ? I am up in Victoria BC.

How do you guys like your job ?  How easy is it to start getting your own customers ?

I have been out of work for a couple of weeks now and am almost thinking of just trying to get some
contracts for painting, the market is good where I am, I tried Craigslist and haven't gotten any replys.

Any tips to score a job ? I was thinking of going door to door but not sure I have the guts to become one of those
guys that comes to your door.

Offline Marion

• Marion D Watts
Re: Painting a good trade ? Thinking to start a biz
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 08:34:38 PM »
It's a tough business, especially until you find the niche that works for you and build the clientel to suit.  But, honesty, good work and determination will work in every business, including painting.  Best of luck!
Best,<br />Marion

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:07:35 PM »
Read everything you can on this forum including the cover pages with How to's. A wealth of info here.

Anyone can paint until you go pro. Then they expect you to back it up by knowing what your doing.
   ;D

I wish I had a place like this when I started out. but they were just inventing writing then... 8)
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:20:59 AM »
Do you have any personal experience running a business?

A painting business is like any other in that you are providing a service.

Do you have all your paperwork lined up?

Do you have a license if one is required where you live in Canada?

Is your business registererd.... ie.... sole proprieter, LLC, etc.....

If your just "thinking" of becoming a painter... You might want to "think" again as there is MUCH more to it than just schleping some paint on a wall...

Any monkey can do that.

What makes a real painter is having the skills to apply product cleanly and properly, as well as knowing what product to use and where.

Good luck!  :)

ps... I've heard that tapers are in high demand here in Vegas. Evidentaly tapers are making the bank.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:25:31 AM by Jake »
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:20:43 AM »
I hate my job, but sadly it's all that I know so I'm stuck.  Get yourself a job as a painter for a few years (or 10) to make sure you really like it.  The barrier to entry into painting is very low so everyone thinks they can do it.  Just because it's easy to get in doesn't mean everyone should get in it.  Remember that whatever you choose to do you are going to be doing for a long time so don't just jump into something that you may not like just because that's the easy choice to make at the time. 

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:12:54 AM »
Sounds like you may have some experience painting already in the renovation area, unless your company subbed it out?  If that is so and you're only learning the business side of paint contracting, very good.  If you are learning professional painting techniques as well as how to run a business, that is a wee bit tougher IMO, I wouldn't recommend it.  If you already paint, what I would recommend is starting with people you know and who trust you.  Do fantastic work for them, ask for references and take pics.  Build a portfolio with references asap to show people who don't know and trust you.  Just my two cents worth... or maybe one cent worth.  :D

Jared

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »
You've been given some excellent advice.

The only thing I'll add is that after working in the construction/remodel market here (San Diego) for the last few years, I've noticed that painters are a dime a dozen - but skilled tapers are VERY hard to find.  (This is specific to my area, and may not be true in your area - but possibly worth investigation...)

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 11:16:51 PM »
If the market is good where you are go for it.  Here it is really down, and it has hurt me pretty bad this year.  I've just made ends meet all year, but the last two weeks I have had nothing, not even a call for a bid.
\ My uncle recently went to work for GE Securities, and he's glad he did.  He had a remodeling and construction business.  He didn't quite shut it down when he went to GE, but he has gotten maybe a dozen calls since mid Feb making him glad he did change careers.  I am not far behind him.  It's nice being the boss, but I think I'm just about over it.  Even if the market comes back sometime next year I still think I'm going to move on.

Offline MichaelHenry

• CorkCRM
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 03:51:02 PM »
Painting is absolutely a good trade to be in, but you can make a lot more running the business than you can slinging a brush.

I recently published an article on "how to start a painting business".  Here is the post: http://www.corkcrm.com/how-to-start-a-painting-business/

To the more experienced guys out there, I would be curious to know whether or not you feel this would be a good resource for guys that are just starting out.  Would be interesting to get some feedback around the estimating section, in particular.  Something that goes beyond the typical "you've got to know your production rates" spiel.
Ex-Painter Turned Painting Software Guy

Offline nichol

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 11:36:45 PM »
I found the "how to start a painting business" article interesting although I have no personal expertise in the area so can't really give any pointers myself. My father was a paint and decorator back in his youth but it was before my time. He said it was tough and a lot of hard-work, would probably be a bit easier these days with some of the advancements in technology. Him and his friend had their own business but he never got to the point where he had people working under him. Ended up changing profession completely and became a driving instructor.

I am starting to get into painting and restoration myself at home (http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,38554.0.html) as a little side hobby but I couldn't imagine doing it hands-on for a living.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 11:38:53 PM by nichol »

Offline facembanidaimon

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 01:02:56 AM »
Anyone can paint until you go pro. Then they expect you to back it up by knowing what your doing.

Offline rena36704

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 02:57:40 AM »
;D ;D  อ่าาน่าสนมากเลยครับ

Offline zoompainting

• Zoom Painting
    • Zoom Painting Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 12:07:00 AM »
It is all about networking. I would recommend to talk to a lot of people working within the construction industry i.e. site supervisors, project managers other trades people and hand out some business cards. They may or may not call you straight away but eventually some of them are going to need new painting contractors and if they already know of your business, chances are pretty high that they will contact you. You may also want to set up a website and run some ads on Google Adwords to generate traffic.

I'm not sure weather going door to door will work. Perhaps a better way is to visit a few construction sites each day and to ask to speak to the person in charge. Alternatively most sites have phone numbers listed. Look out for cell phone / mobile phone numbers of construction / project managers as they are the individuals making the decisions. Calling general office numbers is rarely helpful.

I am not from Canada, so things may be a bit different where you are, but this is what has worked for us.

Good luck, hang in there, it doesn't happen overnight but if you persist anything is possible.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:09:30 AM by zoompainting »

Offline jpacelt

• Florence Painting Contractors
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 02:51:52 PM »
Painting as any other trade type business is hard physical work. My way of thinking is always about leveraging other people. But you have to learn the ropes first that's the hard part. Then you can will know how to scale and leverage people to do the heavy lifting. The key to any business today is sales. There is a demand so you have to be able to break through the clutter leveraging the internet to get that business. Good luck!

www.florencepaintpros.com

Offline bocaratonpainters.com

• http://bocaratonpainters.com/
    • Boca Raton Painters
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 08:22:03 PM »
If you're alone and good at your job it shouldn't be hard to get a stream of customers coming in. It is a long game, the longer you paint the more referrals you will get. Also don't setup a site if you're not sure of it. I have a buddy who receives calls from carpet cleaning every single day when he closed his business years ago. He's still looking to sell his phone to a carpet cleaner  ;D . Best of luck to you!

anything