Author Topic: Fine paints of Europe  (Read 8230 times)

Ray

Fine paints of Europe
« on: February 03, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »
Hi everyone,
Has anyone here ever used paints from “fine paints of Europe”? I need immediate advice about their product? Here is the story. I’ve signed the contract for a new construction painting in my area. The general contractor asked me to prime lots of trims before the carpenters put them up. I used Benjamin Moore underbody oil based primer for the task. After a few days he told me that the customers want to paint the interior with Fine paints of Europe. I contacted the paint company for technical advice, they told me that I should use their primer only and if I use other primer they will not guarantee anything. Does anyone know if this is just to sell their own product or not? They primer and paint are sold for about $80 to $100 a can which is less than a regular gallon? I’m wondering weather to sand the trims and put a coat of their primer before painting or it’s safe to just paint over the Benjamin Moore primer?

Thanks,

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:Fine paints of Europe
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 12:18:28 AM »
Ray,

A lot of paint companies are putting a "matched" primer clause in their paint warranty. In my opinion it has more to do with selling primer than anything else.
Since you were not informed of this special request before you primed, you should not be responsible for a voided paint warranty, so long as you inform the contractor and homeowner and get a waiver in writing. Strip sanding the oil primer would be impractical and very labor intensive, only consider this if the contractor or homeowner is willing to pay for the process. They should also pay if you opt to re-prime the trim.

Benjamin Moore has one of the best paint product lines in the world. An equivalent Ben Moore topcoat would be the best solution.

Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Ray

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 05:26:10 AM »
No stripping the primer is no something I will do. If I have to prime the trims again, I'll just sand them to smooth the surface before using the FPOE primer.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 04:27:42 PM »
Ray,

For a 100 bucks a gallon they should send someone out to prime it for you.  ;)
As for my previous post..I was just making the point that, short of removing all of the primer, should ANY problems arise with the top coat you would be the paint Rep's scapegoat. Repainting at no charge or having to pay another painter to repaint a house full of windows, doors and trim could be a set back.
Have them waive the warranty in writing or suggest they go with a Ben Moore topcoat.
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Ray

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 09:18:31 PM »
They'll pay for what I've done so far and I'll get paid to sand and reprime the trims and paint the the trims and the rest.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 07:13:26 AM »
Well, if they're paying for it, fine...I'm glad to know that you don't have anything else that needed done with the time being robbed by taking down a perfectly good primer and doing it over again...

...So your customer is made of money in spite of decisions like this one? :o

Good luck

Ray

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 03:26:07 PM »
For a long time I used to try anything possible to save customers money. However, I've found out that for many rich poeple money is not the issue. Even more money is better, so they can go around and brag out how much the paint job cost. The same way that middle class brags about every burgain they get.

Cheers

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 04:44:06 PM »
Been there, Ray, I've been there...

Offline MPPainting

• I'm a llama!
    • www.michaelphillippainting.com
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 09:46:45 PM »
I tend to find the people with more money are the cheapest and they like to brag about how little they paid to have something done.  I did some work for a customer that just bought a house in an upper class neighborhood (5500 sq ft home) and they kept bragging to me about how they were able to beat up their tile guy for a good price on laying tile in their foyer and dining room.  When he was all done Ray Charles could have done a better job and this guy was recommended too!  But anyway, just a another stupid story for anyone willing to read it.
Michael P Darnell Jr
Michael Phillip Painting LLC
www.michaelphillippainting.com

anything