Author Topic: "Paint Grade" exterior windowed doors  (Read 5776 times)

Jared

"Paint Grade" exterior windowed doors
« on: July 12, 2008, 02:14:37 PM »
Anyone else notice how bad most "paint-grade" exterior windowed doors are becoming?

It's bad enough they're using all that plastic on 'em, but now it seems like every door I have to paint has had the plastic trim tightened down in such a way as to allow massive quaitities of that damn goopy glaze to spurt out through the gap and onto the glass.  Ever try to scrape that crap off?  It ain't fun.  The doors I've been pulling my hair out over lately came from Lowe's, the brand is "Solar Shield".  I surely will not be painting any more of their doors without a 200-300% markup of what I normally charge.

I'm really considering referring all my windowed exterior doors to another painter.  It's just not worth the time involved...

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
Re: "Paint Grade" exterior windowed doors
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »
Everything these days are being made cheaper & poor quality. I have used a little goof off on this goop when trying to remove it & it seems to help. It really is a pain in the neck to get off & you should charge me for the headache it is.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »
Scraping the goo then following with even a cool solvent like mineral spirits will do the trick.

And yes Jared, I've noticed marked differences in quality in even supposed high-end entry and window systems like Pella. I suspect a conscious effort to lower the consumers' expectations while keeping the facade of high quality is going on.

I'll no longer even bid Pellas.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »
I'll no longer even bid Pellas.
I am the same way now. My worst job when it comes to dollars per hour in the past 1 & 1/2 years included 3 of the doors (inside and out). It almost took longer to scrape and clean than it did to paint. At least it helped me to start teaching myself that it is ok to turn down some jobs.

I remember when Pella was quality. Too bad about that.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 06:13:36 AM »
Though I've never looked into it I'm sure that the Pella name has changed hands a few times over the years. How many times a company has been bought and sold is often a good indication as to how much of their product is built on pride as opposed to profit margin. Regardless of that, my issues with certain window and door companies has been their warranty policies.

I have personally watched company reps from certain door companies walk onto a site where a claim for a failed door or window has been submitted and blame the painter before the unit in question is even seen. That, in my estimation, is their sole reason for employment; to deny warranty coverage. The reason I no longer bid or paint certain companies' products is written right on the warranty sticker. Some of these units, arcadias in particular, involve nearly complete disassembly in order to coat all exposed wood, and ALL exposed wood must be sealed for warranty protection.