Author Topic: Advertising, what is working?  (Read 22075 times)

Offline Danny

• San Francisco Painting Contractor
Advertising, what is working?
« on: August 04, 2008, 04:25:32 PM »
I hope that the news of our economy has not been getting you down too much.  As to my self, I can definitely feel that things are more competitive.   
The number of calls from our advertising is down.  So are our sales ratios from it.  Thank God for repeat customers (calls are up nearly 25% for the first six months of 2008) and referred clients (our sales ratios just about doubled).
Of course getting past clients to call or obtaining referrals is a bit more involved, but here are a few things that are working for us:
Firstly, and I know it may sound like a cliche, we try to do the best paint job with the best customer service that we can.  Secondly, we keep a list of our past clients and periodically remind them that we are still around.
As far as referrals go, I very much believe in the concept of “Give and You Shall Receive”. I try to give out as many referrals as I can.   
I am often asked for referrals to other tradesmen, but I make it a point to seek out opportunities to refer.  A client may mention, in passing, that they are considering a new roof, windows, etc.  I use it as an opening to ask them if they need a referral to a good roofer or a window shop.
Good economy or bad economy, in my desk I keep a log of all referrals that I give out.  I also keep track of referrals that we receive.   
So, these are some things that have been working well for us.  I am always looking for ideas.  What has been working for you?
http://www.housepaintingcolor.com  San Francisco Color Consultant
http://www.classicshades.com San Francisco Painting Contractor

the PAINTSMITH

Re: Advertising, what is working?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:51:34 AM »
My business has never once been affected by one of these so-called "economic slowdowns". I'm convinced that these are scare tactics perpetuated by the media to achieve a desired effect (usually political), and unfortunately in some areas, they succeed.

The ONLY slowdown my business sees that isn't self-induced occured in the two weeks immediately following 9-11.

Offline Danny

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:30:07 AM »
What are you doing in the way of advertising?

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »
The ONLY slowdown my business sees that isn't self-induced

To quote the "late, great, Bruce Lee"...........

WAAAAAAATAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D

The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:21:41 PM »
I'm convinced that if you are a small painter that gets all leads from word of mouth then you probably haven't noticed any changes, but if you are a painter doing new construction I'm sure your world has been turned upside down.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 07:37:30 AM »
I've never advertised. I did work plenty of new construction during my early years, but just wasn't able to lower my quality standards to suit builders and wasn't able to stomach builders' diversionary tactics when it came to money. When I switched to customer service-only the control was in my court, as the builders were dictated myterms.

Every time I considered a Yellow Pages ad or an 8th-page newspaper ad business would boom and the consideration got swept aside. I have an insanely loyal clientele, small but mighty (and fairly wealthy for the most part), and they all have friends, neighbors, business associates, relatives, etc. Word of mouth referrals have never failed me.

And yes, Jake, self induced. I have a habit of making myself inaccessable now and then...It seems to make my customers miss me that much more... 8)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:01:53 AM »
Danny, look right here:

http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,1733.0.html

Offline Georgie Wood

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 08:24:41 AM »
Sometimes when I am not as busy as I would want to be(like now), and a customer calls, I may run right over to take a look see and provide an estimate, but I will delay scheduling the job just so as to give the appearance that I am busy. I don't want to give the impression that I am desperate for work, and thus will work for less than I would normally charge.

I've never advertised, but sometimes think I should(especially when i'm sitting at home with my stomach in knots waiting for the phone to ring). But last year I had a yard sign made. I haven't got a single call from the damn thing. Good thing it only cost about $100.00. I still put it out hoping it will at least provide name recognition.

Vin

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »
I am now going door to door stopping at all apartment complex's and handing out flyers with a card attached.

I heard recently the university I have been working for will be selling off all there apartment units that's 88 units and I have painted almost everyone of them in the last 4 years and I get quite a few each semester after students leave so I need to get some work to make up for this 10-$15,000 a year loss.

Offline Georgie Wood

• postingpro
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:46:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that Vin. Good luck out there.

Vin

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 06:53:10 PM »
I did the yard sign thing and car magnets and have gotten 0 jobs from either.

I just talked with a guy today who does advertising at golf courses, they have bench's at every hole on several local golf clubs and for $400 I can have my own advertising bench LOL that's for 2 years I may try that.

Best thing I have going yet is word of mouth and my web site.

Offline Stecool

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
Yard sings are not the best but I had some luck with them, I bought 20 of the from Buildasing dot com and put them up on trees and telephone poles everywhere I could. That was a couple years ago and I did get a couple jobs from it, totaling about $5000. the sings cost me about $200 It was well worth my investment, just a little slow.

I moved from FL 4 years ago and had to start over, I tried the yellow pages and got a very low closing rate, I will not do it again. I tried the trifty nickel, local newspapers and the did pretty good for $200/month.

The best thing I found so far is regional online advertising for about $500/month. It keeps us very busy, with a good closing rate.

StevePainting . com

Offline Danny

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
regional online advertising for about $500/month. It keeps us very busy, with a good closing rate.

StevePainting . com

How dose this work? Is this Pay Per Click?

Offline decoman

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 05:24:08 PM »
some stuff works and some doesn't remember the cheaper your material looks the more times then now your getting tire kickers.. We have tried many different methods of advertising the last few years to grow and nothing really is better then networking with people you have worked for and getting your name out there for the referrals...
MAK -
Decoman

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »
Unless you're running a crew and need to have a huge volume of leads coming in, referral based word of mouth , past clients , etc is definitely the best. And it can be done in an organized way, like a networking group ( I am in BNI, get at least 50% of biz from it). But it is like farming, not hunting. Need to take time, plant seeds etc.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

anything