Author Topic: "How to" Video on the application of Metallic foil (Faux Finish)  (Read 18505 times)

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
Hello all, I wanted to post 2 YouTube videos that I made to show application of Metallic Foil to different substrates.  The first video is for smooth or textured surfaces but only shows technique as I was a little new to making the videos and so I didnt talk.  The 2nd video I did talk and it shows in a 4 minute video how to gild a picture frame using metallic foil using only rustolium spray paint and foil.  Both are fun, fast and an easy way to transform your clients home.  Check them out and let me know what you think...

Rob

How to apply 4 colors of metallic foil in any surface:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjyECLmrIEw

How to gild a picture frame using metallic foil (video 4 min - actual application to frame 1 minute)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQayuF05bwI
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
Re: "How to" Video on the application of Metallic foil (Faux Finish)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:57:59 PM »
Here are some pics of some metallic foil ceilings that I have done recently...

My ceiling is a antiqued copper foil finish done over a Armstrong ceiling tile, I also did all the wood work in this house.  This is a before pic:

This is the same area after I painted, distressed and antiqued the woodwork into a antique mahogany...

Here is the fireplace wall and surround after I primed, painted and distressed it

Here is the Project when it was almost finished...

Here is the pic of when they installed the antique mirror that I distressed and antiqued

Here is the mirror installed and a closer pic of the mantle and surround

Here is the ceiling finish that I designed for this room.  The center panel is red metallic foil with gold leaf flecks done over a black base, the 1st layer of crown is done in true gold metallic foil with an antique glazing and then the last layer is antique distressed mahogany (fauxed).  The idea behind the finish, was PICTURE - MAT - FRAME (red was the art - Gold was the mat - Wood was the frame).

I will post some more later, tell me what you think and then I will show you the game room...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:01:22 PM by admin »
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:15:38 AM »
You do fabulous work, a true artist and craftsman.   I would like too see the before pics of the wood. :)

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 08:35:38 AM »
The pic that shows up is a before pic and is exactly what this house looked like throughout.  I did well over 5000 lin ft of this crown, the crown dropped 14" with the smaller stages and as much as 40" staggered in the trays.  I did every inch of this house 9000sf by myself in 7 months (should of only taken 5).  The majority of the house is MDF with a mix of luan and poplar.  I used over 25 cases of caulk in this house and 1 gallon of putty!!!  All in all it was a good job but I dont think that I would of done it again knowing all the variables of things that happened as that additional 2 months cost me over $20K.  All in all I got some good pics and a good reference out of it so that in the long run makes a big difference.
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Jared

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »
You really do spectacular work.  Some of the best I've seen.

Now THERE'S a trim installation that must've required a seriously large miter saw...  that crown is absolutely beautiful - and huge!

I'm quite sure that if I were to ever take on a job of this scope & scale, I would most definately take more time than originally expected...

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
That crown is 5 pieces put together and the tray crown was I think 12-15
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Vin

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 08:51:06 PM »
Thanks so much always interesting to see other craftsman at work . I think I will start with a picture frame  ;D

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 11:37:18 PM »
I think that you will be shocked how adding foil to your biz will boost your biz in your area setting you apart from the other painters.  Here are some more rooms from this same house.  I am also posting a couple of my designer mirrors, I did a total of 7 in this house.

MASTER BEDROOM/BATH

Game Room (My favorite room in the house)

Transom window lettering (this leads into the room above from the pool)

Custom Mirrors

Well that is enough for now... getting late
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:06:12 PM by admin »
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 05:54:35 AM »
Very nice!  Are those walls a venetian plaster or a paint technique?
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 07:27:04 AM »
Not VP, the walls are a double glaze over a hand troweled drywall texture that I do.  Here is how to do the texture part:

Take a 5 gallon bucket of GREEN joint compound and thin it with 1 qt of quality primer and 2 qts of of H2O, blend them together and you should have a rollable texture, you want it thin enough that it sticks to your finger but can be shaken off.  Next take a texture roller (found at any homecenter) and roll it onto the wall in a floor to ceiling area about 3' wide.  Take a trowel and smooth it out and then take .75 mil plastic and lay it over the wet texture and press it down with the palm of your hand, then simply pull the plastic and and you have instant Old World Texture.  Now I take it one step farther.  I do the entire room then go back and take a 10" blade and knock down the high points.  Next day prime it with 1-2-3, let it dry and base coat it with a color and you have a very unique texture that looks good stand alone or even better you can color wash it for a aged look.

The reason for the GREEN JC is that it has an adheasive in it and you get even better bonding with the primer that is in it.  You still need to prime and base coat but once that hardens it is strong.  If you want it even more tough you can add 1 tube of caulk to the blend...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:29:15 AM by FoilEffects »
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »
Interesting! Here's a couple of other additives to consider..
 Clears like gardz or peel stop, and colored primer or even a bit of aura because of the heavy amount of colorant, and then clear seal after your knockdown rather than 123.  color wash included in the mud!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 04:13:35 PM »
Hey BrushJockey, excellent advise I will have to give that a try...  You know you do things one way for a while and that is just the way you do it.  Love have a different way to do it!
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Offline Fat Tony

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 04:22:16 AM »
Hey Foil, those walls look great. I assume the technique will only work on smooth walls and not over orange peeled walls. Here in Vegas i have yet to be in a house with smooth walls unless its a garage.

Offline FoilEffects

• Foil Effects
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »
Tony,

Nope that is on orange peeled walls as I live in Florida, land of crappy workmanship and textured walls!!!

I use Aqua Glaze with extender over Porter Paint satin latex, I roll the glaze mix over the painted wall from the floor to the ceiling and then take less than 1 mil plastic, cut it into long strips to cover the area glaze, I crumple the plastic then open it lay it over it and swoosh it with the palms of my hands and then pull it off, INSTANT LEATHER!
Check out our website at
www.foileffects.com

Vin

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 10:57:09 PM »
Curious ? where have you learned all these techniques ? are you self taught ?

anything