Author Topic: Withdrawing a Proposal  (Read 15099 times)

the PAINTSMITH

Withdrawing a Proposal
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:16:08 AM »
For one of the very few times in my career I'm considering telling a customer to paint it himself...

It's a huge $2+ million compound, three structures, virtually inaccessable elevations, some equivalent to four stories in height...And to top it off it's a failed Sikkens finish.

My proposal amounted to well over $20G. He's balking, demanding justification for every detail. I have plenty of work this year and don't need this arrogant clueless buffoon ruining an otherwise lovely season, except that a very close friend, the caretaker of the property, is the one who brought me in on the job and I really don't want to leave her holding the bag. There were other bids from other contractors, and from what I've heard I underbid them all by at least a handful of thousands...Yet this maroon wants to bicker...

As the Sikkens finish had failed (due to homeowner neglect, go figure  ::) ), a lot of costly labor is necessary to 1) restore the finish to where I would warrant the work, and 2) where the manufacturer would warrant the product. The customer refuses to cornblast, sodablast or chemically strip the damaged areas, opting instead for what he calls "a light sanding". Customers like this insult not only my intelligence, but affront my dignity and occupational integrity. I have many customers who know my work (some through the same caretaker), never question my price and NEVER try to tell the professional how he's going to do his job.

The problem is not in telling the customer to pound sand, but doing so in a way that won't hurt my friend's position.

Whew...Felt good to get that off my chest...

Offline TomTom

Re: Withdrawing a Proposal
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »
Sounds like you really ought to stay away from that job, especially as you have plenty of other work. I would talk to the friend and explain your situation because it seems quite likely that if you were to do the job (maybe just to be loyal to your friend) the whole episode could turn out even worse than if you don't do it.

Jared

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »
PS -

I will admit it, when in this situation I have told the potential PITA that someone beat them to the punch and I just signed a contract which has booked up all my time for the next x weeks/months.  I make sure to set that variable far enough ahead that they won't want to wait for me.

This has gotten me out of those sticky situations on more than one occasion, and so far I have not burned any bridges when attempting this escape...

And I totally agree with your perspective on this.  Run for the hills and don't look back.  Let him become someone else's problem.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:03:11 PM »
At a glance I'd say Run Forrest Run...  :D  You will NEVER please him regardless of your approach or price. Tell your friend that the client's insistence on micromanaging the technical aspects of the job is just unacceptable. He can sign your proposal as is and get out of the way or call up another bidder, I'll bet she will still respect you in the morning....  ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
PS -

I will admit it, when in this situation I have told the potential PITA that someone beat them to the punch and I just signed a contract which has booked up all my time for the next x weeks/months.  I make sure to set that variable far enough ahead that they won't want to wait for me.

This has gotten me out of those sticky situations on more than one occasion, and so far I have not burned any bridges when attempting this escape...

And I totally agree with your perspective on this.  Run for the hills and don't look back.  Let him become someone else's problem.
I have done Jared's method more than once. I regretfully tell them with a tear in my eye that I am hurt and horrified that I won't be working on their project, but I have already been booked by others for the foreseeable future.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 06:21:07 PM »
Thanks guys, the input is appreciated and invaluable. The decision had already been made, though, and my main consideration is for the caretaker of the property, who is new to this homeowner, She needs the income, has, believe it or not, seven kids and a high maintenance house and husband, and a more loyal protaganist I have never had in the business.

This guy is a clueless ape who bought the house with Daddy's money, has no idea how working people make a living. He will take it out on she who made the recommendation, and I need to be there for her...

Thanks again

Eric

Vin

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »
I had a very similar type of guy who wanted me to re-do his entire 3 car garage, he had a couple wanna be painters come in and tape off the joints on all the walls and ceilings and paint the garages it looked like Crappola,,, real bad!! so I told him what needed doing from beginning to end and gave him a VERY FARE price and he questioned every single detail of my plan.

So after about 1/2 hour wasting my breathe and him telling me what a fare price was and how to do the job ( he was trying  to get his $250 back out of me from his loss from the other painters wages YEAH RIGHT I DON'T THINK SO )  I told him I would re-think my numbers and plan of action and get back to him, I called 1/2 hour later and told him straight up that it was going to be to difficult to work for him and I was backing out of the deal, he seemed to understand and gave me no trouble which surprised the heck out of me.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 04:07:21 AM »
understand and gave me no trouble which surprised the heck out of me.

Probably because he had already found a bunch of illegals to do it for $8 an hour. ;D

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
Well shoot guys, this story is taking a twist. I'll report back when I get it hammered out, probably later today...

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 02:23:44 PM »
OK then, the twist;

My caretaker friend requested this morning that I submit an alternate proposal addressing ONLY the failed areas of the compound. She is in a situation where she's establishing her position with the homeowner (new customer for her, a "kid", and trusts no one to not bilk him for his "hard-earned" wealth  ::) ). She is trying to convince the guy to accept her as IN CHARGE of maintenance, cleaning, trades, etc. of the property, the position for which she was hired in the first place. She said that if he wouldn't live up to the terms of the contract they entered and allow her to run the property, which includes administrating the day-to-day maintenance of the structures, she will have worked her last day for him.

I complied with her request, making MY terms to be on a time & material basis, and doubled my hourly rate as is accepted in the "butthead customer" section of the Tradesman's Guide to Working for Jerks. The total is still much lower, but gives the customer (or his agent, nudge nudge) the option to continue the work at the same rate once those areas are complete. The rate will not go back down for this placebo...

I'll know within 24 hours or so...

Offline TomTom

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 05:18:58 PM »
Ha! Looks like you're friend could be looking for a new job in the near future, one with less potential headaches. Good for you being a loyal friend but I have to say I'm glad I'm not in your position right now. I'm not so sure I'd want that job, though if it works out well at the hourly rate you've given it could be nice little earner  ;)

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 09:12:45 PM »
"Tradesman's Guide to Working for Jerks"  ...  hmmmmm...  y'know, i've looked on Amazon.com, eBay et al and just can't find this book...  please tell me there is such a book... please please please!!!  ;)
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 09:40:05 PM »
"Tradesman's Guide to Working for Jerks"  ...  hmmmmm...  y'know, i've looked on Amazon.com, eBay et al and just can't find this book...  please tell me there is such a book... please please please!!!  ;)

It's a NYT best seller in my own mind! ;D

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 10:28:34 AM »
The guy caved.

My caretaker friend is in control of the horizontal and the vertical...Do not adjust your set...

8)

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 07:55:23 PM »
I think we could start writing that book right here!  Lol!

I'm glad she stood up to him Eric. Would have been a sucky stituation for you both.
She must be something special!!>.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

anything