Author Topic: New Paint on new drywall, peeling off in sheets  (Read 30114 times)

Offline Amandaofcols

New Paint on new drywall, peeling off in sheets
« on: August 13, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »
My husband and I are in the process of remodeling our bathroom. We tore everything out down to the studs and replaced with drywall. We mudded last weekend and then painted this past weekend (about a 4-6 day drying time). We used 2 coats of Kilz 2 water-based latex to prime the walls, let that dry 2 days and then painted 2 coats of Valspar satin acrylic over that, allowing a 2 hours dry time between coats. But now the paint is peeling off in sheets, primer and all..  :o ???  It comes off super easy over the mudded areas, but pulls off small amounts of green "fuzz" from the drywall paper (we used green board through out the entire bathroom.
I think my husband just used a shop vac to clean the walls. Is it possible that too much dust could be causing this?

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: New Paint on new drywall, peeling off in sheets
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 08:59:39 PM »
hello Amandaofcols ..

Kilz waterborne was very likely not the best primer to use on new drywall.... Stain kill products dry on the surface, and do not penetrate deep enough on new drywall... It would have been best to use a PVA latex primer on the drywall...

if i'm not mistaken, greenboard has two sides, one w/ a plastic type film, and the other a porous paper.. did you hang it w/ the proper side facing out?  Not suggesting you did, its just a thought...

anyway, thats my take on the problem... The others pros are certain to chime in w/ their observations which is helpful to have...

Hope all turns out okie dokie for you...

Be Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:48:20 PM »
Most likely culprit is painting over drywall dust. If the walls were cleaned prior to painting, then that just reinforces my belief that all kilz products (except the original oil) suck. And UUjohn is right. No need for a stain killer unless you are trying to kill stains. You should've used a primer instead.

Offline PaintingPatriot

• Almost 20 years in the fun filled world of paint
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
Did you let the paint cure!!! Latex paints take on average 15 to 30 days to fully cure and bond, If its fresh paint, it will probably peel.

98% of paint failures are do to applicator error. The walls were probably dusty or did you actually apply the green board correctly? Is the paint cured? Kilz 2 primer is ok for this application. PVA (poly vinyl acetate) primer is the lowest quality primer on the market, kilz 2 is a upgrade.

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:49:24 PM »
I have never had a problem using a primer/sealer on new drywall, but we do thin the primer somewhat and usually clean the walls with a damp sponge mop prior to priming. If it is peeling at the joints the problem is likely (painted over) surface dust...

Best Luck,
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Amandaofcols

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 05:10:32 PM »
Ok we've narrowed down the problem to poor primer and inadequate cleaning.. Now what do we do? How do we fix the problem? Can we just go buy a better primer and paint over the paint on the walls?

And to answer another question, the paint was less than 24 hours old when it initially started to peel off. But it doesn't peel in other places..

Offline Amandaofcols

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »
You should've used a primer instead.

The can says Primer/ stain blocker..

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »
Yeah, you can paint over it but you cannot paint over the loose stuff and expect good results.  The moisture and the actual weight of the new primer will tug at anything that is not adhered well and pull that free.  This will result in bubbling and/or more peeling.  You have to first remove anything that is loose and you should probably sand and patch those areas as the peeled areas will probably be visible after you apply your nice shiny finish coats.  Then you can sand and reprime.

I'm not really buying into the dust explanation for why the paint peeled in the first place.  Perhaps if you let it dry for more than a day it may have bonded.  It depends on drying conditions too.  I really think that in order for drywall dust to cause paint to fail it would have to be a lot of dust.  Gravity causes most of the sanding dust to fall to the floor...what is left on the walls is minimal and if your husband vacuumed the walls that should be more than sufficient.  Kilz2 may not be the best choice for new drywall but it still should have stuck....like you said, it's a primer!

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »
hello again Amandaofcols  ...

let your freshly painted room dry and cure for a couple weeks...

then gently peel off all the loose areas you can find, even if it goes down to the joint compound and bare drywall..  very gently....

spot prime those very same areas and let dry for a couple days...

patch those areas w/ one or two (if needed) skim coats of joint compound.. gently sand those areas as flush w/ wall as possible.. prime... let dry..

then touch up the repairs w/ your finish paint

here are a couple helpful threads about 'touch ups'

http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,1146.0.html

http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,200.0.html

Be Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 10:14:17 PM »
Yeah, you can paint over it but you cannot paint over the loose stuff and expect good results.  The moisture and the actual weight of the new primer will tug at anything that is not adhered well and pull that free.  This will result in bubbling and/or more peeling.  You have to first remove anything that is loose and you should probably sand and patch those areas as the peeled areas will probably be visible after you apply your nice shiny finish coats.  Then you can sand and reprime.

I'm not really buying into the dust explanation for why the paint peeled in the first place.  Perhaps if you let it dry for more than a day it may have bonded.  It depends on drying conditions too.  I really think that in order for drywall dust to cause paint to fail it would have to be a lot of dust.  Gravity causes most of the sanding dust to fall to the floor...what is left on the walls is minimal and if your husband vacuumed the walls that should be more than sufficient.  Kilz2 may not be the best choice for new drywall but it still should have stuck....like you said, it's a primer!

I agree that in most cases drywall dust is not a problem, but when using a fast drying primer fine dust, especially at the joints, can present a problem. The dust absorbs the solvent and prevents proper bonding. I have also seen problems with "super sanded" drywall caused by drywall power sanders. If you combine super slick sanded joints with fine dust ....bonding will be a problem..

I also agree that not enough time has been allowed for cure and all the posted fix advice is dead on ..  :)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline PaintingPatriot

• Almost 20 years in the fun filled world of paint
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 08:51:11 PM »
Ok we've narrowed down the problem to poor primer and inadequate cleaning.. Now what do we do? How do we fix the problem? Can we just go buy a better primer and paint over the paint on the walls?

And to answer another question, the paint was less than 24 hours old when it initially started to peel off. But it doesn't peel in other places..

Leave it alone, let the paint cure, I bet in about 3 weeks, you will notice the paint sticking better, maybe permanently.

UUjohns advise is dead on, once its cured you can fix it just like he says. I would repaint the entire bathroom once you have touched up the patches, this will give the walls uniformity.