Author Topic: Painting for renters  (Read 5575 times)

Vin

Painting for renters
« on: August 16, 2008, 06:12:26 PM »
I've had it come up a few times I always request to first talk it over with the owner, today I had a couple who just moved into a house and the whole thing needs painting, the owner took $300 off there deposit and told them to paint if they want I told them $300 would cover materials thats about it, they got burnt BUT the owner also did no cleaning and i believe thats illegal he didn't even have the carpets cleaned so told them to look into that they just may end up getting him to paint and clean the place plus a little extra.

Oh and the house is up for sale, this is a young couple he's a Marine and she's pregnant and I feel like there a bit ignorant and need help so I did offer to do some of the painting for very cheap since I do have a lot of paint stocked up, at least I can get a few rooms painted for them.

OH and theres a property management company handling the house I called the guy up and left him a message telling them this couple was interested in maybe even buying the place BUT some things needing sprucing up LIKE THE PAINT and ask fro him to get back to me so we could discuss this with the owner, haven't heard back probably won't.

My guess is the house is in foreclosure and there getting everything out of it that they can before the bank takes it over , thats just a feeling , since obviously there not wanting to put any money into it makes me suspicious.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:17:12 PM by Vin »

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Painting for renters
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:03:53 PM »
You're a good man Vin... showing some heartfelt empathy in these dog eat dog days really does get my respect...  :)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »
Thanks Michael when you give a little away you get a lot back ;)

Have no heard back , just as I would expect, but I will try again and be persistent and a nat in this guys eye HEH HEH....

Offline wgcpainting

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:03:14 AM »
Just wanted to thank you for looking out for our young military folks. As an ex Army NCO I saw alot of people trying to take advantage of our guys (and gals) , especially the young ones fresh out of hs and on their own for the first time. If you truly think they are getting a bad deal, they can go on post to the post housing authority and they will put a stop to it.

I really enjoy your posts and have learned alot in the past year or so from both you and the others on here.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 07:21:25 PM »
Vin, You're one of the good guys! :)

Matt and I are doing a job right now that we started this morning for a "renter"

The owner took 200 bucks off the guys rent for the year if he gets the house painted. Dude (renter) is super cool and bought us lunch and tons of beers! LOL!  ;D

We always try to help people out if they're in need and sincere.

Case in point... Guy today is on a budget. He's super cool and initiated coolness with us so when he asked for some extra's... Instead of my usual "We can do it but we have to charge you" rap...

I said, "No problem, consider it done."

Sometime one really does "Get what one gives"...

Good on ya Vin!!!

Cheers!  :)
The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Vin

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 03:16:20 AM »
Thanks guys I tried and  I got shot down by the owner on this one, that house I believe is on its way to  foreclosure and the owner did not tell these tenants that  but I did and they were quite upset so what  I did was tell the young man to talk with his CO? and see about getting a GI loan ready for when that house went on the market and maybe they could work something out with the bank. 

Offline woosterbrushman

• PRODUCT REP.
  • Know the serious from the curious prospect ASAP
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 01:09:08 PM »

I have one rental house and I am in the process of getting it painted before I
let someone move in.  I would be afraid to let the tenant paint as the house has nice molding and trim
and would not want that screwed up.

As far as carpeting, in our area it is a requirement that the carpets are cleaned before someone new moves in.  I have the tenant sign a carpet agreement that they will either have them professionally
cleaned (Not renting a rug doctor) or that is the first thing out of their deposit.

I would advise the couple not to put a dime into the house.  They can contact the county courthouse,
and first check to see if taxes are paid, which is one of the first signs of a foreclosure if they are not paid.

While their they can find out what bank holds a mortgage on the house and then contact them to see
if the payments are actually current. 

If they are not, and they want to buy the house, let the bank know that too.  When the house is
appraised, it will be worth LESS if NOT PAINTED and they can maybe buy it cheaper.  Once they own it,
then put money in it, but not before.

The paper is full of stories of landlords who have a house headed to foreclosure, they get a deposit
and talk the renter into making repairs, and then the sheriff shows up with a 3 day eviction notice from the bank.  They don't get their deposit back and literally have to be out of the house in 3 days or the
locks are changed and anything left in the house is now bank property.

Have them work with the base housing coordinator and they may be able to help them find out
if this is a foreclosure case and what to do.   Good luck.

Vin

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 02:20:15 PM »
It's a requirement here also to have carpets cleaned. I'm going to contact those kids again and see where this is at, thanks .

anything